Natty

Instant replay reviews make MLB look stupid.

I basically only watch Orioles games. Several times this year I have seen a play reviewed by the umpires that with the irrefutable evidence on my TV set, the umpires in NY can't get it right. They are not inclined to overturn the call  made on the field even though thousands of fans watching at home can clearly see they blew the call. This really makes baseball look stupid, or maybe stupid isn't the right word. It makes them look retarded. Just today, Mullins was safe at 3rd on his attempted triple. His hand definitely touched 3rd base before the tag was made. Umps blew it again, they would not overturn the call made on the field.

Why delay the game, and show fans the replay with different camera views, and then have the Umps make an incorrect call?

MLB isn't the only sport that suffers from this sort of thing.  If you watch the NFL or college football, you see instant replay resulting  in incredibly wrong results all the time.

I remain convinced that all sports were better before replay reviews were instituted.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Hey Sportsfan; Thank you for the compliments.  So there are 3 DSL guys in Florida now. 17 year old Samuel Basallo received $1.3 million.  The biggest bonus of the Elias Era.  He was expected to sign with the Yankees.  He was very good batting .239/.338/.410 for a .748 OPS.  5 homers, 8 doubles.  Now in Instructional League.  Led Orioles 1 in homers and RBIs 17 year oldShortstop Maikol Hernandez received $1.2 million.  He hit .231/.340/.308 for a .647 OPS.  No homers, only 4 for 7 in steals. He is in the Instructional League so they still believe in him. 17 year old 3rd baseman Anderson De Los Santos received $350,00. He hit a robust..324/.409/.495 for a .905 OPS.  He also filled in at short, but made to many errors.  A little error prone at 3rd, but he's a converted shortstop.  Only 18 strikeouts in 127 at bats, 15 walks.  6 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, 3 for 4 steals.  Tremendous 1st year, now in the Instructructional League.   17 year old speedy centerfielder Junior Lara received $160,00.  Batted .344/.434/.500 in only 77 at bats.  So he missed half the season with an injury. 17 year old Rightfielder Wilmer Feliciano received $400,000.  He struggled with strikeouts and groudouts.  Hit .202/.312/.353 for a .665 OPS. Hit 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 homers.  Also 3 for 3 in steals.  119 at bats, 45 strikeouts, 70% groundouts to 30% flyouts.  Terrible ratios for a big-time power hitter.  I would think his swing can be corrected. I was disappointed in Orioles 1.  13 and 39 overall.  With all those bonus babies, still a young team. Orioles 2 was a competitive team with modest bonus players.  25 wins 30 losses. Their most intriguing player was 18 year old Shortstop Frederick Benscome. He was a late Class of 2019 signee.  6 feet 160lbs left handed power from a shortstop. 142 at bats, 6 doubles,4 triples, 2 homers, 11 walks, only 18 strikeouts.  10 steals in 13 attempts. 60% flyouts to 40 % ground outs.  I would have thought he should be in Instructional League teaching others how to make contact and put the ball in the air !!!!    
    • I'm not a big supporter of former major league stars as managers.  The history of baseball is full of players who were great as players and failures as managers.  Let Adam prove himself in the minors somewhere before getting a manager job with the O's.  I hate to look back on past manager searches, where the guy's main qualification seems to be that he played for the O's. 
    • I wonder how many active major league managers never managed in the minors? On a very quick look, Craig Counsell, Don Mattingly, Dave Roberts, Rocco Baldelli and Gabe Kapler never managed in the minors.   Those were the only five I checked; I suspect there are others.   I don’t see Elias picking a guy like Adam, who never seemed like the type of player to rely on data.   I remember he actively resisted some of the positioning data.   He wasn’t exactly a plate discipline guy either.  He’s got the leadership skills to be a good manager but probably needs some time in a front office or on a coaching staff.    
    • I would think that if they got visas to play in the fall instructs, then they’ll be on one of the FCL squads next year. 
  • Popular Contributors