Babkins

All Aboard the Johnny Rizer Hype Train

As has been noted here and there, this dude just mashes. He was 4-for-5 with three doubles and three driven in tonight against Binghamton, bringing his line at Bowie to .485/.485/.727 (you don't need to walk when you hit .485) through his first seven games at the level. I got to see him in Hartford on Sunday; I'm no scout, but I thought his swing looked great—sturdy base, quick through the zone, generated a ton of power. His home run, to left-center, was utterly annihilated.

Curious to hear some opinions on what the ceiling for a guy like this might be, and what his path to the big club might look like. If he continues to hit well, could he jump ahead of someone at Norfolk (Jarrett? McCoy?) on the depth chart?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Was just going to post about him. Also Zach Jarrett playing CF for the Tides and OPSing .915. 

I think I saw the Rizer also played center in a game.  Are either of these two considered fast runners?

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think I saw the Rizer also played center in a game.  Are either of these two considered fast runners?

I have absolutely no idea. I don't recall seeing any detailed scouting reports. Rizer is listed in Tony's Top 30 power rankings near the bottom. He is not in the MLB Orioles Top 30 so no scouting report there. Looks like he stole 15 bases one year in college, so not really a burner. Mostly playing RF.

I didn’t get a great sense of Rizer’s defense in center when I saw him on Sunday. I can only recall one chance, a bases-loaded single that he charged but bobbled. He wasn’t given an error, but two runs scored and the batter was able to take second base.

He's been getting a fair number of starts in CF.   I'm guessing he's a decent athlete with at least average speed.  Not a large fella.  6'0 and under 200 pounds.  

Looks like we have at least a fourth outfielder on our hands who could possibly see Baltimore next season.  Are their any other outfield prospects ahead of him right now for a spot on the major league roster other than maybe Diaz (who can't seem to stay healthy)?  

Do you guys recall the catch he made to rob a home run in his senior year of college?  It was posted in his draft thread.  He was playing CF and the catch was absolutely ridiculous.  That play made it look like he had some range and defensive ability.

1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

Do you guys recall the catch he made to rob a home run in his senior year of college?  It was posted in his draft thread.  He was playing CF and the catch was absolutely ridiculous.  That play made it look like he had some range and defensive ability.

That highlight is ridiculous.  He robbed that sprinting at full speed to the wall, no chance to collect himself before making the jump.  His arm looked pretty good too getting it back in to the infield.  

You rarely hit on the mid to late round draft pick senior signs, but he looks like a future big leaguer. 

13 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

He's already 24, so he should be promoted to Norfolk quickly if he keeps playing well at Bowie.

Regardless of his speed, I think his nickname for now must be Johnny "Fast" Rizer.  

And if he loses a step, we can always go with Mr. Mojo Rizer.

My thoughts from the Power rankings thread:

"Every time I watch him he hits. He can turn on good fastballs, go the other way, and he seems to hang in against breaking pitches and offspeed. He has gap power and probably only has average speed, so his ceiling is limited, but I can see him being a solid 4th outfielder."

Defensively he looks like a good defensive outfielder though his arm looks to be below average. I haven't seen him misjudged anything on the plays I've seen from him and the fact they've been giving him looks in CF tells me he must get decent jumps and takes decent routes. 

He doesn't walk, and can still get fooled by offspeed pitches on occasion, but the kid can hit the fastball all over the field. He'll pull pitches, goes the other way well, and just has real good professional ABs. 

He's certainly continued to open some eyes so although i think he may be limited to a 4th outfielders role at this point, he keeps overachieving so I don't want to put a hard limit on his ceiling.

• Upvote 3