Jump to content
Sports Guy

Coby Mayo

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s an exciting guy to watch.  I really hope he can stay at third but if not, that’s ok.

Im really curious to see if he is on the radar for top 100 lists.  

I raised that question about a month ago and I think the answer could be he’ll be a similar status as Gunnar was heading into this season. Honorable mention and if he performs he’ll crack some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, joelala said:

I raised that question about a month ago and I think the answer could be he’ll be a similar status as Gunnar was heading into this season. Honorable mention and if he performs he’ll crack some. 

Yea that’s what I said too.  He may have impressed more than Gunnar though.  Just more of a question of getting enough at bats and if they feel he has shown enough to make those lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, joelala said:

I raised that question about a month ago and I think the answer could be he’ll be a similar status as Gunnar was heading into this season. Honorable mention and if he performs he’ll crack some. 

Gunnar had done nothing before this season.   Going into next season, Mayo is going to have an amazing 30 games at Delmarva.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, Sports Guy said:

What would the reasoning be to start him in Delmarva? I agree its possible but I don't think its justifiable.

I am not strongly against him starting in Aberdeen. I would think he will get another 150 at bats at Delmarva. I think that is Elias/Blood’s MO, and I think Mayo can benefit from that. They do not want to send him back down, so start next year in Delmarva and go from there. He can still finish the year in Bowie. Henderson is. 

I have heard that low A ball is not the same level as it used to be, so maybe @Frobbyis correct. Perhaps that is best for him. It is interesting to think about. Blood may want to keep challenging him after a great Spring. 

If Mayo gets his body in great shape, with more explosiveness and flexibility, that is the most important thing to me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar had done nothing before this season.   Going into next season, Mayo is going to have an amazing 30 games at Delmarva.

Also true. I certainly wouldn’t disagree with him being on a list or two, and perhaps with the growing reputation of our system amongst the industry, he’ll get on one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, Grady said:

Seeing the HR last night, looks like Mayo has a quick bat. Is his swing faster and harder then most? 

I don't have the metrics but that swing is really, really fast. His hip rotation is a thing of beauty. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't have the metrics but that swing is really, really fast. His hip rotation is a thing of beauty. 

Reminds me of a certain ROY candidate, who I've said before had the loudest bat I ever heard at Frederick.  Mayo's gonna hit at the big level.  I'm seeing that clearly now as I did with a very young RM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Reminds me of a certain ROY candidate, who I've said before had the loudest bat I ever heard at Frederick.  Mayo's gonna hit at the big level.  I'm seeing that clearly now as I did with a very young RM.

I think Mayo has a chance to be better than Mountcastle, perhaps significantly better with his plate discipline. I saw a good hitter in Mountcastle with some special plate coverage, but Mayo just looks different. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only has Mayo hit considerably better than Gunnar (.981 OPS vs career .800), he strikes out much less (18.5% of plate appearances vs 29.2 career) and walks more (13.4% vs 11.5).  216 plate appearances for Coby and 584 for Gunnar.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Not only has Mayo hit considerably better than Gunnar (.981 OPS vs career .800), he strikes out much less (18.5% of plate appearances vs 29.2 career) and walks more (13.4% vs 11.5).  216 plate appearances for Coby and 584 for Gunnar.  

The plus for Gunnar is he is ahead of Mayo on the timeline and is still getting reps at SS. I know many are skeptical he can stay there, but if he can, that's a big bonus for him. Still, I'm glad we have both in this system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

The plus for Gunnar is he is ahead of Mayo on the timeline and is still getting reps at SS. I know many are skeptical he can stay there, but if he can, that's a big bonus for him. Still, I'm glad we have both in this system. 

Agreed - Coby is only a half year younger than Gunnar, and it could be GREAT for the O's if Gunnar can stay at SS.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Agreed - Coby is only a half year younger than Gunnar, and it could be GREAT for the O's if Gunnar can stay at SS.   

The Yankees occasional Stanton/Judge/Gallo outfielders got lauded as biggest/tallest ever; Mayo/Gunnar would be 3B/SS towers if they could handle it.

Skimmed back through Cal, who mostly played next to average or short height guys, except B-Ref one year has the 6-3 Jeff Manto as the 3B starter for the year.

If I get to Bowie tonight or rainy tomorrow, one of the things I'll be looking for is if I believe Gunnar's present 6'2" listing on minorleaguebaseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The Yankees occasional Stanton/Judge/Gallo outfielders got lauded as biggest/tallest ever; Mayo/Gunnar would be 3B/SS towers if they could handle it.

Skimmed back through Cal, who mostly played next to average or short height guys, except B-Ref one year has the 6-3 Jeff Manto as the 3B starter for the year.

If I get to Bowie tonight or rainy tomorrow, one of the things I'll be looking for is if I believe Gunnar's present 6'2" listing on minorleaguebaseball.

Imagine if Westburg ends up at 2nd base - he's listed at 6'3.  The infield could be the biggest ever - Mountcastle, Westburg, Gunnar, and Mayo.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Oh, absolutely.   The O’s were leading the division by six games when this news broke.   It stung pretty badly to lose Manny in that situation.   As it turns out, the team played well without him for the rest of the regular season.   But we’ll always wonder if he could have made a difference in that KC series, if he’d managed to rehab and return to the field.     Some posters faulted him for not acceding to the team’s wishes.   Not me though.  
    • Win 3 Cy Youngs, 3 World Series and a WS game in 3 decades and you can be as arrogant as you want.   Palmer rules.
    • So trade our best performing position player in order to get prospects that don’t usually pan out… i.e Machado deal  Pass 
    • I think the Orioles wanted Manny for the playoffs.  In a noncompetitive season they may have had a different view.
    • There were some aspects of the Manny knee situation I’d forgotten.   In particular, when Manny shut down and had surgery on the second knee, that wasn’t what the team wanted him to do.   "Our original approach was to have him rest and then to try to play and then see if he could play ball. We also knew there was a chance of a recurrence. Given this injury and the time of the season, we thought that we would rest it and try to recover and come back and play for the rest of the year. But Manny didn't feel that was the best option." (This quote from Duquette was in a post by weams without a link.).   It also seems that Manny had the option of “rest and rehab” with the first knee and opted for surgery.    Here’s a link to the weams post, which is in a very long thread on this topic.   https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17946-manny-machado-expected-to-have-surgery-on-knee-within-a-week/page/35/#comments Anyway, I’d say Manny really did the opposite of what Tatis is doing, i.e., favoring surgery over rest and rehab.    
    • The thing about Adam Is that he comes across as genuine. He’s not one of these arrogant jerks like “well, you remember that I never gave up a grand slam” Palmer who reminds us every single chance he gets, and shares memories like a king distributes largesse. Adam is just a guy telling stories. I wonder how he’d be as a broadcaster?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...