Jump to content
Greenpastures23

I think Mullins in the all Star game is pretty likely

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I don't see why not because a first round pick is what you get when he signs with another team after giving him a QO. 

You can't tender a qualifying offer unless a player has been on your roster all season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't tender a qualifying offer unless a player has been on your roster all season.

Didn't know that.  But whats interesting is I guess the Orioles valued Diaz, along with the other prospects, higher than the potential first round pick they would have gotten from a declined QO from Machado.  At least with Diaz, he had shown something in AA ball. so the bust potential was/is less likely.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mullins is particularly difficult to assess IMO because of the abandonment of switch hitting.  I was concerned in May that the scouting had adjusted but then he just started raking again. In any case it’s a small bright spot in an awful season (like watching Cal hit beach balls in 1991).  Unless a contending team has a high profile injury I don’t think anyone is risking looking dumb by trading for him for what the Os should ask for though and I’m ok with that.

Question for the more knowledgeable folks regarding Manny - is he worth what we thought he was worth when he was traded? I thought he was going to continue getting better but…

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pdiddy said:

Question for the more knowledgeable folks regarding Manny - is he worth what we thought he was worth when he was traded? I thought he was going to continue getting better but…

 

 

JMO, and I'm not knowledgeable but I think SD will regret the size of that Manny contract in a big way as the years go by.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 7Mo said:

JMO, and I'm not knowledgeable but I think SD will regret the size of that Manny contract in a big way as the years go by.

Machado is earning $32 million a year with a sub-800 OPS. I'd bet SD has a little of that regret percolating. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I love it when people say Mullins IS worth a ton.  We have no idea what his worth is.  His worth is what someone will pay

Exactly.  As in anything in this world, value is determined by what the market is/what someone will pay.  Perhaps other teams see Mullins as a mirage and won't give us a solid return for him.  In which case, you keep him and hope he keeps this up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Mullins is particularly difficult to assess IMO because of the abandonment of switch hitting.  I was concerned in May that the scouting had adjusted but then he just started raking again. In any case it’s a small bright spot in an awful season (like watching Cal hit beach balls in 1991).  Unless a contending team has a high profile injury I don’t think anyone is risking looking dumb by trading for him for what the Os should ask for though and I’m ok with that.

Question for the more knowledgeable folks regarding Manny - is he worth what we thought he was worth when he was traded? I thought he was going to continue getting better but…

 

 

Good post and I agree. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Mullins is particularly difficult to assess IMO because of the abandonment of switch hitting.  I was concerned in May that the scouting had adjusted but then he just started raking again. In any case it’s a small bright spot in an awful season (like watching Cal hit beach balls in 1991).  Unless a contending team has a high profile injury I don’t think anyone is risking looking dumb by trading for him for what the Os should ask for though and I’m ok with that.

Question for the more knowledgeable folks regarding Manny - is he worth what we thought he was worth when he was traded? I thought he was going to continue getting better but…

 

 

Manny was never a great offensive player, at least not on a consistent basis and now he is in a tough hitters park.  He should be a 3-5 WAR guy and has the upside to pop an MVP level year but I wouldn’t expect greatness from him.  Very good yes.  Great?  No.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Machado is earning $32 million a year with a sub-800 OPS. I'd bet SD has a little of that regret percolating. 

He’s at 2.6 rWAR, on pace for a 5.6 rWAR season worth about $45 mm at FA prices.   His OPS+ is at 127.  His OPS is at .969 over the last 23 games.   So I doubt they’re too worried about it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Manny was never a great offensive player, at least not on a consistent basis and now he is in a tough hitters park.  He should be a 3-5 WAR guy and has the upside to pop an MVP level year but I wouldn’t expect greatness from him.  Very good yes.  Great?  No.

Average WAR for a HOF 3B is 69.  Nice.  Manny is a tick below 43 at 28 years old.  Not too difficult to see him get well into the 70s.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Average WAR for a HOF 3B is 69.  Nice.  Manny is a tick below 43 at 28 years old.  Not too difficult to see him get well into the 70s.

True because he’s a good defensive player at a premium position.

I don’t think he’s a great offensive player but he is a good to very good one.

He has a chance at the HOF, it will just depend on how he ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Average WAR for a HOF 3B is 69.  Nice.  Manny is a tick below 43 at 28 years old.  Not too difficult to see him get well into the 70s.

He’s on a good pace.  You never know how a player will age.   Andruw Jones was at 52.4 rWAR through age 28, and ended up at 62.7.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Machado is earning $32 million a year with a sub-800 OPS. I'd bet SD has a little of that regret percolating. 

On pace for almost six wins per 150 games with a 127 OPS+ and good defense.  Part of an exciting young team that's 10 games over .500 and a 95% chance at the playoffs. 

Yes, they're weeping and gnashing their teeth with regret.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Average WAR for a HOF 3B is 69.  Nice.  Manny is a tick below 43 at 28 years old.  Not too difficult to see him get well into the 70s.

He's 40th in all time rWAR through age 28, despite this year only being less than half over, and last year being just 60 games.  Others who had 40-45 WAR through this age include Duke Snider, Ernie Banks, Pudge Rodriguez, Mike Schmidt, Joe Medwick, Joe Jackson, Home Run Baker, Tim Raines, Reggie Jackson, Gary Carter, Richie Ashburn, Andre Dawson, Lou Boudreau and Miguel Cabrera.

Roughly 90% of players on this pace end up in Cooperstown.  There are 125+ HOF position players who had less than 40 WAR through 28.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...