Jump to content
Yardball85

Knuckler Jannis Up, Sceroler DFA

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I put this on his kin Ben Macdonald. To me, this was a situation where Ben may have talked his cousin on to the team and by doing so talked Pop off the team. Never listen to Ben. He’s a meathead.

The takes keep getting worse and worse.  When can we get rid of him?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PeteCanes said:

Not many will be the next Wakefield.  Will be fun to watch the guy even if he gets hammered.

Will it? Why? Why is it going to be fun to watch a guy get his brains beat in no matter what he's throwing up there?

I'm not saying he's going to get his brains beat in anyways, but I just wasn't overly impressed with his knuckleball. He's a great story and love seeing a 33-year old guy get his first call up, and I'll be rooting for him, but I think he's a guy you can probably DFA pretty easily if it doesn't work at the major league level.

 

Either way, if he can at least eat innings with a sub 5 ERA he'll provide some value.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Will it? Why? Why is it going to be fun to watch a guy get his brains beat in no matter what he's throwing up there?

I'm not saying he's going to get his brains beat in anyways, but I just wasn't overly impressed with his knuckleball. He's a great story and love seeing a 33-year old guy get his first call up, and I'll be rooting for him, but I think he's a guy you can probably DFA pretty easily if it doesn't work at the major league level.

 

Either way, if he can at least eat innings with a sub 5 ERA he'll provide some value.

That's where I'm at on Jannis.  It's easy to pull for a guy who's labored so long in the minors who finally earned his shot.  If he can be the 2021 pitching version of 2004's David Newhan that would be great... but it's more likely we get 2005 David Newhan than 2004.  As Tony said, a sub 5 ERA in a rebuilding season will provide some value.  At the very least, he'll be fun to watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles already have had many bad pitchers play, so if Jannis performs poorly, he'll just be another pitcher we forget about by next season. But just maybe Jannis will catch lightening in a bottle with his knuckleball, and provide some entertainment in an otherwise dismal season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

The takes keep getting worse and worse.  When can we get rid of him?

Agree I don't know why we let clowns like this stay on the board so long. It actively makes me not want to come here. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impressed with Jannis, his knuckleball had too much spin, but maybe that could partly be blamed on nerves. Have a hard time believing he managed an ERA under 3.00 at Norfolk throwing like that all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Not impressed with Jannis, his knuckleball had too much spin, but maybe that could partly be blamed on nerves. Have a hard time believing he managed an ERA under 3.00 at Norfolk throwing like that all the time. 

I think Jannis will get at least one more chance just to see if nerves got the best of him tonight. But I had a feeling he would be lights out or get lit up, and we got the latter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Not impressed with Jannis, his knuckleball had too much spin, but maybe that could partly be blamed on nerves. Have a hard time believing he managed an ERA under 3.00 at Norfolk throwing like that all the time. 

Yeah he was spinning the ball and not knuckeling it up there.  It was like a dead fish and the Astros had no problem hitting the crap out of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Jannis will get at least one more chance just to see if nerves got the best of him tonight. But I had a feeling he would be lights out or get lit up, and we got the latter. 

I wonder if we piggybacked Jannis and Valdez following Eshelman .....  just daydreaming!  🥰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Bummer debut for Jannis but still a big fan, perfecting the knuckleball is a long process.

One thing about knucklers: on the days the pitch isn’t working, the pitcher becomes extremely vulnerable.   Let’s hope yesterday was just one of those days for Jannis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First inning looked good. I think he got left to die out there because of the blowout. I mean he was pitching into his 4th inning which is a bit ridiculous.

I think in a normal game he's out as soon as he allows his first run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, interloper said:

First inning looked good. I think he got left to die out there because of the blowout. I mean he was pitching into his 4th inning which is a bit ridiculous.

I think in a normal game he's out as soon as he allows his first run.

I don't think he would have even been brought in in a "normal game".  He was brought up to be the last man in the pen, the role Sceroler had filled.  They guy who comes in when the win probability is already under 5% so he can't really hurt our chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, interloper said:

First inning looked good. I think he got left to die out there because of the blowout. I mean he was pitching into his 4th inning which is a bit ridiculous.

I think in a normal game he's out as soon as he allows his first run.

Not sure I understand. He literally was brought up to be a long guy. He's here to try and eat innings in games just like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...