Jump to content
Frobby

Alex Wells 2021

Recommended Posts

I’m kind of sad about Wells. Doesn’t look like he’s going to be anything, but he was a real prospect. Lowther, Akin, Wells, Kremer have all been tried and found wanting.

Also sad we have Plutko and Anderson taking up space but that’s another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m kind of sad about Wells. Doesn’t look like he’s going to be anything, but he was a real prospect. Lowther, Akin, Wells, Kremer have all been tried and found wanting.

Also sad we have Plutko and Anderson taking up space but that’s another story.

Wells has to be perfect.  That is and always has been the case with him.  If he isn’t going to have pinpoint command and control, he will get hit hard.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Wells was optioned to Norfolk after tonight's game.

O's don't need a 5th staters until August 14th.   And they need to open a spot for Tyler Wells to be activated fro the IL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Send Shaun Anderson with him. 

All in good time.   They will need a spot for Zimmerman at some point and if  Baumann has a couple more good starts at AAA he could be called up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wells has to be perfect.  That is and always has been the case with him.  If he isn’t going to have pinpoint command and control, he will get hit hard.  

And he’s been far from perfect in his time here.   He’s only throwing 60% strikes which is not high enough for a guy like him.  He’s only throwing a first pitch strike 55.7% of the time.  I’m seeing way too many pitches that are too high to tempt a matter to chase, or otherwise too far out of the strike zone.  This is not the Alex Well who had a lot of success in the minors.   

Another big problem I see is that his change-up is only 5 mph slower than his fastball.   Not enough there to throw off a batter’s timing, especially when the batter isn’t gearing up for premium heat in the first place.   

I hope the next time we see Wells (if there is a next time), he’s ironed out his command issues.   As to the change-up, that’s a pitch he needs to seriously improve if he wants to have any chance of success in the majors.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another guy with average (more likely, below average) stuff.  

The fastball isn't fast.  Velocity isn't the only thing that matters but it doesn't have a lot of movement and he hadn't been able to locate it well.  Changeup, as brother Frobicito noted, didn't have enough difference in velocity to make a big enough of a difference.

Curve/slider was average, looking, too.  Just nothing special across the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Another guy with average (more likely, below average) stuff.  

The fastball isn't fast.  Velocity isn't the only thing that matters but it doesn't have a lot of movement and he hadn't been able to locate it well.  Changeup, as brother Frobicito noted, didn't have enough difference in velocity to make a big enough of a difference.

Curve/slider was average, looking, too.  Just nothing special across the board. 

Boy, no kidding. Below average velocity and straight as an arrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Wells has to be perfect.  That is and always has been the case with him.  If he isn’t going to have pinpoint command and control, he will get hit hard.  

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

While I don't hold out a huge amount hope for him to be a quality major league starter, saying a guy has "failed" after 17 major league innings is just ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

While I don't hold out a huge amount hope for him to be a quality major league starter, saying a guy has "failed" after 17 major league innings is just ridiculous.

I agree, and that is why I did not say that and you should read more carefully. I said he appears to have. I didn’t say he has. 
I also said I hope he will get more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not suggest that he continue to get opportunities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not say anything that contradicted that. I was just saying that I’m sad that he seems to have failed. Some guys give a glimmer of hope in the beginning And they end up getting a longer chance than they should. Other guys get thrown in the deep end and sink and that’s that. I hope we will see more of Wells, but I don’t have a lot of hope that we will see anything different from Wells.

Yea, you are way too quick to give up on people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Philip said:

I agree, and that is why I did not say that and you should read more carefully. I said he appears to have. I didn’t say he has. 
I also said I hope he will get more opportunities. If I thought he was a failure I would not suggest that he continue to get opportunities. 

Appears to have is just as ridiculous of a statement.

You can say, he failed in yesterday’s start.  Anything else using the word failed is completely over the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just think there was never any real chance Wells was getting out alive starting against guys like Judge and Stanton and the rest of them. Too many power righties just waiting on those looping breaking balls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...