doccat

When will we ever have starting pitching?

...or relief pitching for that matter...!!

Seriously, even if D.L. Hall and Greyson Rodriguez stay healthy and become quality starters, that's 2 out of 5 rotation slots.   I guess if Means comes back and stays healthy, that could be 3.   Sadly, we've seen nothing from Kramer, Lowther, Akin, Lopez, to think they'll make it as starters....   

Kevin Smith, Kyle Bradish, Michael Baumann, Bruce Zimmermann are all options for next season. None may pan out, and odds are that we'll be lucky if just one or two of that group can stick in the rotation. But next season should hopefully be a noticeable improvement with our SP candidates.

• Upvote 1

My crystal ball has a future rotation of Means, Rodriguez, Hall, T.Wells, and Bradish. I have Baumann and Lopez moving to the bullpen. That leaves starter depth of Smith, Kremer, Akin, Zimmerman, Lowther, A. Wells, Knight….all having the potential to be effective ML starters (or relievers). 

You can disagree with who starts and who goes to the bullpen, obviously. I’m just guessing there. But we have more quality young pitching depth than we’ve had in quite a long time. This feels like the debate last offseason about not having enough middle infielders in our system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fansince1988 said:

This is a great question. We don't draft pitching, and we don't pay for free agent pitchers. I think its beyond time to move the fences back at OPCY. 

Why, so our outfielders have to run farther into the gaps and make longer throws back to the infield?

OPACY dimensions are just fine.  Keep in mind the fences moving back would work against our hitters, too.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Why, so our outfielders have to run farther into the gaps and make longer throws back to the infield?

OPACY dimensions are just fine.  Keep in mind the fences moving back would work against our hitters, too.  

Just build a team that makes best use of the current dimensions.

Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or teardown the Hilton Baltimore Inner Harbor whose construction really made OPACY into a hitters park. 

But since that's not going to happen just build a team best suited to OPACY's ballpark factors. 

10 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

My crystal ball has a future rotation of Means, Rodriguez, Hall, T.Wells, and Bradish. I have Baumann and Lopez moving to the bullpen. That leaves starter depth of Smith, Kremer, Akin, Zimmerman, Lowther, A. Wells, Knight….all having the potential to be effective ML starters (or relievers). 

You can disagree with who starts and who goes to the bullpen, obviously. I’m just guessing there. But we have more quality young pitching depth than we’ve had in quite a long time. This feels like the debate last offseason about not having enough middle infielders in our system. 

I think so too. As soon as next year our rotation could look dramatically different.