doccat

When will we ever have starting pitching?

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

We just added 8 new pitchers to the organization today.   Ya happy now?

The Giant's first 9 selections were pitchers. They chose a pitcher with 14 of 20 picks. 

THAT'S what would have made me happy. 

17 hours ago, SteveA said:

We just added 8 new pitchers to the organization today.   Ya happy now?

The Angels added 20...

Eric DeCosta was not wrong when he said if the Ravens want better wide recievers they need to take more bites of the apple.

The Orioles need to start following their fellow nesters and take more bites of the apple.

It's obvious that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching, but I think we need to appreciate how historically bad the O's starting pitching is.  

The O's best starters this year have been John Means, Bruce Zimmerman, Travis Lakins and Spenser Watkins.  They have made 26 starts.  Here are the results from the Orioles' other starters, in ascending order of ERA (stats refer only to starting appearances):  

Jorge Lopez, 18 starts, 2-12, 5.95 ERA

Dean Kramer, 12 starts, 0-7, 7.25 ERA

Matt Harvey, 18 starts, 3-10, 7.70 ERA

Keegan Akin, 8 starts, 0-5, 8.82 ERA

Thomas Eshelman, 5 starts, 0-2, 8.35 ERA

1 start each for Wade Leblanc (0-1, 21.60 ERA), Zac Lowther (0-1, 27.00 ERA) and Adam Plutko (0-0, 36.00 ERA).

These pitchers have made 64 out of the Orioles 90 starts, with a collective record of 5-38 and an ERA of 7.61.  It is astonishing that in a down year for offense the O's have had to devote so many starts to such awful pitchers.  But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

Wells is a better option and Lowther should probably get another chance. Baumann seems to have righted himself.

But if they’re trying to tank why would you even explore a better option?

Brilliance

7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Wells is a better option and Lowther should probably get another chance. Baumann seems to have righted himself.

But if they’re trying to tank why would you even explore a better option?

Brilliance

Lowther just got torched in his last start at Norfolk, and didn’t last two innings.   He needs to stay there for a while, log some innings and get into his rhythm before he’s called up again.  

Bsumann has been up and down at Bowie, still carrying a 5+ ERA there.  Not the time for him to leapfrog Norfolk and come to the majors.   

Alex Wells on the other hand is pitching well and should probably get a shot soon.   He’s about as ready as he’s going to be.    If he struggles it’ll be because his stuff just isn’t that good.   

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

It's obvious that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching, but I think we need to appreciate how historically bad the O's starting pitching is.  

The O's best starters this year have been John Means, Bruce Zimmerman, Travis Lakins and Spenser Watkins.  They have made 26 starts.  Here are the results from the Orioles' other starters, in ascending order of ERA (stats refer only to starting appearances):  

Jorge Lopez, 18 starts, 2-12, 5.95 ERA

Dean Kramer, 12 starts, 0-7, 7.25 ERA

Matt Harvey, 18 starts, 3-10, 7.70 ERA

Keegan Akin, 8 starts, 0-5, 8.82 ERA

Thomas Eshelman, 5 starts, 0-2, 8.35 ERA

1 start each for Wade Leblanc (0-1, 21.60 ERA), Zac Lowther (0-1, 27.00 ERA) and Adam Plutko (0-0, 36.00 ERA).

These pitchers have made 64 out of the Orioles 90 starts, with a collective record of 5-38 and an ERA of 7.61.  It is astonishing that in a down year for offense the O's have had to devote so many starts to such awful pitchers.  But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

Just imagine how bad they’d be if we didn’t have the savant Chris Holt.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lowther just got torched in his last start at Norfolk, and didn’t last two innings.   He needs to stay there for a while, log some innings and get into his rhythm before he’s called up again.  

Bsumann has been up and down at Bowie, still carrying a 5+ ERA there.  Not the time for him to leapfrog Norfolk and come to the majors.   

Alex Wells on the other hand is pitching well and should probably get a shot soon.   He’s about as ready as he’s going to be.    If he struggles it’ll be because his stuff just isn’t that good.   

But Baumann is getting close to a promotion to Norfolk.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But Baumann is getting close to a promotion to Norfolk.

Could be, after three straight good starts in July.    I’d say if he’s good the next two times out he’ll probably be on the promotion radar.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could be, after three straight good starts in July.    I’d say if he’s good the next two times out he’ll probably be on the promotion radar.   

Baumann IMO is with the Bay Sox on rehab assignment.  He proved he could pitch well at AA in 2019 when health.  So I would not be surprised to see Baumann promoted at any time.