Jump to content
doccat

When will we ever have starting pitching?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, SteveA said:

We just added 8 new pitchers to the organization today.   Ya happy now?

The Giant's first 9 selections were pitchers. They chose a pitcher with 14 of 20 picks. 

THAT'S what would have made me happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SteveA said:

We just added 8 new pitchers to the organization today.   Ya happy now?

The Angels added 20...

Eric DeCosta was not wrong when he said if the Ravens want better wide recievers they need to take more bites of the apple.

The Orioles need to start following their fellow nesters and take more bites of the apple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's obvious that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching, but I think we need to appreciate how historically bad the O's starting pitching is.  

The O's best starters this year have been John Means, Bruce Zimmerman, Travis Lakins and Spenser Watkins.  They have made 26 starts.  Here are the results from the Orioles' other starters, in ascending order of ERA (stats refer only to starting appearances):  

Jorge Lopez, 18 starts, 2-12, 5.95 ERA

Dean Kramer, 12 starts, 0-7, 7.25 ERA

Matt Harvey, 18 starts, 3-10, 7.70 ERA

Keegan Akin, 8 starts, 0-5, 8.82 ERA

Thomas Eshelman, 5 starts, 0-2, 8.35 ERA

1 start each for Wade Leblanc (0-1, 21.60 ERA), Zac Lowther (0-1, 27.00 ERA) and Adam Plutko (0-0, 36.00 ERA).

These pitchers have made 64 out of the Orioles 90 starts, with a collective record of 5-38 and an ERA of 7.61.  It is astonishing that in a down year for offense the O's have had to devote so many starts to such awful pitchers.  But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

Wells is a better option and Lowther should probably get another chance. Baumann seems to have righted himself.

But if they’re trying to tank why would you even explore a better option?

 Brilliance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Wells is a better option and Lowther should probably get another chance. Baumann seems to have righted himself.

But if they’re trying to tank why would you even explore a better option?

 Brilliance

Lowther just got torched in his last start at Norfolk, and didn’t last two innings.   He needs to stay there for a while, log some innings and get into his rhythm before he’s called up again.  

Bsumann has been up and down at Bowie, still carrying a 5+ ERA there.  Not the time for him to leapfrog Norfolk and come to the majors.   

Alex Wells on the other hand is pitching well and should probably get a shot soon.   He’s about as ready as he’s going to be.    If he struggles it’ll be because his stuff just isn’t that good.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

It's obvious that the Orioles have horrible starting pitching, but I think we need to appreciate how historically bad the O's starting pitching is.  

The O's best starters this year have been John Means, Bruce Zimmerman, Travis Lakins and Spenser Watkins.  They have made 26 starts.  Here are the results from the Orioles' other starters, in ascending order of ERA (stats refer only to starting appearances):  

Jorge Lopez, 18 starts, 2-12, 5.95 ERA

Dean Kramer, 12 starts, 0-7, 7.25 ERA

Matt Harvey, 18 starts, 3-10, 7.70 ERA

Keegan Akin, 8 starts, 0-5, 8.82 ERA

Thomas Eshelman, 5 starts, 0-2, 8.35 ERA

1 start each for Wade Leblanc (0-1, 21.60 ERA), Zac Lowther (0-1, 27.00 ERA) and Adam Plutko (0-0, 36.00 ERA).

These pitchers have made 64 out of the Orioles 90 starts, with a collective record of 5-38 and an ERA of 7.61.  It is astonishing that in a down year for offense the O's have had to devote so many starts to such awful pitchers.  But it's not like the O's have any better options waiting at AAA.  Depending on whether you think the Orioles are tanking, this is either brilliance or a catastrophic failure of roster construction.  

 

Just imagine how bad they’d be if we didn’t have the savant Chris Holt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Lowther just got torched in his last start at Norfolk, and didn’t last two innings.   He needs to stay there for a while, log some innings and get into his rhythm before he’s called up again.  

Bsumann has been up and down at Bowie, still carrying a 5+ ERA there.  Not the time for him to leapfrog Norfolk and come to the majors.   

Alex Wells on the other hand is pitching well and should probably get a shot soon.   He’s about as ready as he’s going to be.    If he struggles it’ll be because his stuff just isn’t that good.   
 

But Baumann is getting close to a promotion to Norfolk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But Baumann is getting close to a promotion to Norfolk.

Could be, after three straight good starts in July.    I’d say if he’s good the next two times out he’ll probably be on the promotion radar.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could be, after three straight good starts in July.    I’d say if he’s good the next two times out he’ll probably be on the promotion radar.   

Baumann IMO is with the Bay Sox on rehab assignment.  He proved he could pitch well at AA in 2019 when health.  So I would not be surprised to see Baumann promoted at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • By the time the Orioles reach agreements with Tavera and Arias they should still have somewhere around $3.5 million left out of their $6.26 million dollar pool of money to fill out the class with another 12 to 15 signees. Baseball America projects Tavera to get 1.5 to 2 million dollars. Arias was not in their top 30 list.  Players outside the top 30 historically get less than $1 million.   So I'm hoping they still have $3.5 million to pass out in 6 figure bonuses. That could get them 10 players in the $400,000 to $300,000 range. This January they gave their top 2 signees combined $2.5 million.  Then signed  6  more between $400 and 300 thousand.  Then still sprinkled in bonuses $200,000 and below.  Some bonuses weren't announced so I'm thinking they were 5 figure bonuses The  best player, especially at the plate, this year was year de Los Santos who cost them $350,000. Their best prospect, to me, is the 1.3 million dollar power bat and power armed catcher Basallo.
    • That's what it is. Whatever exactly it is... some Nike thing. https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/04/06/red-sox-wear-yellow-nike-launches-new-mlb-city-connect-uniform-series-for-2021/baseball/
    • Lacy has 41 walks in 52 IP in A+ right now too.
    • One of the 13 balls was after an 0-2 count and a foul ball that went over the left handed batter's head.   The next pitch was a low and away breaker for a swinging strike three.   It was a nice command and control moment. Not sure if the catcher told him to hit the bull, or if he did it on his own.
    • Boston is one of the 7 teams to have a “City Connect” uniform this season.
    • 5 perfect innings, 7 K’s, 41 of 54 pitches for strikes.   Not a single ball hit in the air in fair territory; 8 ground outs to go with the 7 K’s. That’s what you call finishing your regular season with a bang.  Rom closes his AA season with a 3.83 ERA   In September, he threw 14 scoreless innings, allowing 5 hits and 1 walk, striking out 18.   
    • No one argued that the line played crappy. The criticism of his passing has been exactly what I stated.    I think he does some impressive stuff but also think he’s makes stupid mistakes and untimely blunders like this game.  The 2 fumbles hurt big time. The third that everyone wants to dismiss is an indecisive error IMO. The RB has to secure the ball if it’s handed off. If Lamar decides too late to keep then tries to  pull it back in and causes a fumble we should blame the RB? Either way, I’ve stated my preferences in the past. I don’t need to do so again and guys here mentioning Flacco won’t cause me to do it either. Joe was done when he left here and it was time for a change. I don’t think the Ravens ever win the big one with Jackson. I’ll be shocked and happy if they do. But to me the mistakes like the ones in the last game are obviously a problem and caused by the fact that he wants to run the ball and that’s his preference. A number of his sacks are also for that very reason.    
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...