4 minutes ago, Stotle said:

Hi all -- hope you enjoyed the first two days of draft. By my count Orioles could have up to $2.3MM available and certainly at least $1.7MM.  Some of the higher-profile names have pulled their names from the draft but definitely room for up to three high-six-figure to low-seven over-slot kids *averaging* around $700-800K apiece or one big seven figure name and maybe one or two kids with more low-to-mid-six-figure asking prices. Only way there aren't a couple decent over-slot selections today is if Trimble or Rhodes has a high asking price because of age and ability to go back without being "old" next year. I haven't heard that but technically it's a possibility based on profile types. Cheers!

I wonder who pulled their names from the draft. 

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Draft Taylor 

We'll see, but I'd guess from Nick's comments, and the hit tool tilt of our model, Elias probably looks at guys like Taylor the way GM Billy Beane would have retroactively evaluated high school tools hound Billy Beane.

If he can hit, why doesn't he hit?, etc.

23 minutes ago, Stotle said:

Hi all -- hope you enjoyed the first two days of draft. By my count Orioles could have up to $2.3MM available and certainly at least $1.7MM.  Some of the higher-profile names have pulled their names from the draft but definitely room for up to three high-six-figure to low-seven over-slot kids *averaging* around $700-800K apiece or one big seven figure name and maybe one or two kids with more low-to-mid-six-figure asking prices. Only way there aren't a couple decent over-slot selections today is if Trimble or Rhodes has a high asking price because of age and ability to go back without being "old" next year. I haven't heard that but technically it's a possibility based on profile types. Cheers!

Great hearing from you man!   Skipping ahead, care to drop us your take if a Mancini-Brice Turang deal framework in the ballpark, or who would say no?   Assuming Stearns isn't content with Rowdy meeting 1B slugging needs, etc.

For comparison with.Atlanta see their Farm Director comments at Talking Chop.com

Their 1st 3 picks (all college) are expected to be mlb starting pitchers.  Then 5 of their next 7 were college hitters.  They saved enough to take 2 high school overslots. 

They still have have the money to do some overslot on day 3.

They're VERY HAPPY with their draft and glad to discuss it.  Not defensive about it at all !!!

And next Jan 15 they're EXPECTED to sign a stud Venezuela shortstop for somewhere between $ 3-4 million dollars.  And their bonus pool is $1 million less than Orioles.

Being a Braves fan too I watch both organizations closely. 

33 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I wonder who pulled their names from the draft. 

Josh Hartle and Cody Schrier are the only names I can find, and they pulled out before the draft I believe.

2 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I disagree. I think the higher end talent still available are all guys with major signability questions which is why no team was willing to draft them in the top-10 rounds for fear of losing some of their draft allotment. I think the Orioles go with several higher upside, signability question marks in the last 10 rounds because (aside from just not getting the player) there are no penalties for failure to sign. This way, you take 3-4 of these difficult sign guys with the expectation of signing 1-2 of them. It's a plan that makes sense (but is a bit more risky than I think its worth). 

If, however, that doesn't come to pass. Then, I'm on your side. 

I hope you’re right, but guys picked in the top 10 rounds generally sign, so there isn’t much risk to taking them. So if they wanted 1 or 2 of the high school ceiling players, they could’ve just taken them.

17 minutes ago, waynebug said:

And next Jan 15 they're EXPECTED to sign a stud Venezuela shortstop for somewhere between $ 3-4 million dollars.  And their bonus pool is $1 million less than Orioles.

I think our ramp up time for the biggest blue chips is maybe only about halfway done, but I'm sure Koby Perez has his evaluations going on the best Latin American 12 and 13 year olds honing their craft this afternoon.

3 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I disagree. I think the higher end talent still available are all guys with major signability questions which is why no team was willing to draft them in the top-10 rounds for fear of losing some of their draft allotment. I think the Orioles go with several higher upside, signability question marks in the last 10 rounds because (aside from just not getting the player) there are no penalties for failure to sign. This way, you take 3-4 of these difficult sign guys with the expectation of signing 1-2 of them. It's a plan that makes sense (but is a bit more risky than I think its worth). 

If, however, that doesn't come to pass. Then, I'm on your side. 

11 -- college senior P
12 -- college senior P
13 -- college senior 1Bman