Jump to content
Tony-OH

2021 1st round pick (5): Colton Cowser - OF - (Junior) Sam Houston University

Recommended Posts


Small sample size with Team USA. Only 13 games, but some info:

“Led the 2019 Collegiate National Team in runs (9). MVP of the Cuba series after lead the team in batting (.438) and runs (6) and tying for the team-lead in hits (7) during the five-game series. Three straight multi-hit games against Cuba from June 3-5. Started eight of 14 games in right field.”

https://www.usabaseball.com/player/colton-cowser

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He won’t be around for long if he isn’t right. 

That's not true.   You guys are bitching at Elias because of his draft strategy....as if the MLB draft is the only way to get talent into the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lovetoaster said:


Small sample size with Team USA. Only 13 games, but some info:

“Led the 2019 Collegiate National Team in runs (9). MVP of the Cuba series after lead the team in batting (.438) and runs (6) and tying for the team-lead in hits (7) during the five-game series. Three straight multi-hit games against Cuba from June 3-5. Started eight of 14 games in right field.”

https://www.usabaseball.com/player/colton-cowser

 

@wildcardjust DM'd me to say he's got Cowser going to the Hall of Fame based off that sample size.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

This pick makes me doubt everything that Elias said about kjeirsted being the player they had rated as BPA last year. 

If it does, does it make you doubt that the SS are still available and other outfielders and HS pitchers are gone?  Because, what you are seeing here is that the mocks and rankings are not really matching up with the actual draft.  Not just the Orioles but the rest of baseball.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moose Milligan said:

That's not true.   You guys are bitching at Elias because of his draft strategy....as if the MLB draft is teh only way to get talent into the system.

I’m not bitching about anything. 
 

If Elias misses on multiple high picks it will be hard to compete. I am well aware of other avenues of talent acquisition. The draft is the best way to get better. That also includes picks after the 1st round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not bitching about anything. 
 

If Elias misses on multiple high picks it will be hard to compete. I am well aware of other avenues of talent acquisition. The draft is the best way to get better. That also includes picks after the 1st round. 

Debatable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Colton Cowser were at a big conference school would he have put up a .374/.490/.680 slash line?

That's a fair question, but did the scouts that rated him the best pure hitter in the draft really base that on his college slash line?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Oh look, Nats with a better pick at 11 than Orioles at 5. Just unbelievable. 

According to the draft rankings and mocks that have shown to be completely unreliable so far? I’m not going to lose sleep over that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does this tell you how the Os view their OF options, including Kjerstads health.  You may not draft for need for high level college bats tend to move fast if they are good.  Cowser should move fast.  He should be in AA by the end of next year.  2023 isn’t unrealistic for him to be in the majors.  
 

It’s a crowded situation right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lovetoaster said:

According to the draft rankings and mocks that have shown to be completely unreliable so far? I’m not going to lose sleep over that. 

Lol. Rizzo has an amazing draft record. His lifetime WAR from his drafted players is top 5 of any GM but okay…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They drafted a good player..probably a relatively safe player.  But Lawlar is a high upside elite talent.  You had that sitting there for you and you went underslot.  
 

Watson seems to have been overrated and im not upset you passed on the 5’9” player.  
 

Looks everyone is going underslot which of course means it will be that much harder to find those guys who drop…that can be the problem with that strategy.  It’s like tanking.  If you are the only one doing it, great…but when several others are doing it, the strategy isn’t as good.

Well, scouts now seem to always be about projection. Watson is tough to project. You have a good point about teams going under slot. That just solidifies that there isn’t a top group of talent but rather a deeper group of talent, none of which have much clear separation. This draft may further show that whomever has the best scouts will get the best results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...