lovetoaster

2021 2nd round pick (41): Connor Norby - 2B - (Junior) East Carolina University

From a Yankees blog evaluating options for their first-round pick:

"Norby would be an extremely safe pick. He already profiles as a second basemen and he does not have loud tools. What he does have is a solid approach that has gotten great results leading to a .415/.484/.659 batting line for East Carolina this season. He excelled at the College Super Regionals this year where he faced off against Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker."

https://viewsfrom314ft.com/2021-yankees-draft-primer/

• Upvote 1

"The 5-foot-10, 187-pound Norby blossomed into a full-time player and All-American the last two seasons with the Pirates. Norby batted .415 in 2021 with 15 home runs, 15 doubles and 51 RBIs. Norby also stole 18 bases to lead the team. The second baseman batted leadoff for much of the season and hit for power and average. He compiled an OPS of 1.143, one of the top marks in college baseball. He struck out 34 times as a third-year sophomore compared to 33 walks. "

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/Connor-Norby-MLB-Draft-ECU-Baseball-Baltimore-Orioles-167656512/

So two rounds and we don't get a premium defensive player

A corner OF'er with questionable power

and a 2B

No CF'er, No SS no guys that are going to solidify the Orioles terrible defense

I wonder if a guy playing 2B in college can even stick there in MLB, maybe another COF/DH to add to the logjam

• Downvote 6

Keith Law also had him at #25.

25. Connor Norby, 2B, East Carolina
Previously No. 49

Norby has performed his way into Day 1 status, hitting .415/.475/.688 this spring for the Pirates with newfound pop, although he’s limited to second base by a fringy arm. He really helped himself with a solid showing against Vanderbilt in the super regionals, hitting the best pitching he’d faced all year, with good at bats and a couple of knocks against Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker. He has a compact swing and uses the whole field well, with wrist strength to drive the ball the other way. Norby is a second baseman and projects to stay there, and his bat should make him at least a regular at that spot, even if he doesn’t come into much power.

2 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

From a Yankees blog evaluating options for their first-round pick:

"Norby would be an extremely safe pick. He already profiles as a second basemen and he does not have loud tools. What he does have is a solid approach that has gotten great results leading to a .415/.484/.659 batting line for East Carolina this season. He excelled at the College Super Regionals this year where he faced off against Jack Leiter and Kumar Rocker."

https://viewsfrom314ft.com/2021-yankees-draft-primer/

Terrific numbers, and the competition couldn't have been too bad - considering the Vanderbilt games.  Good defensively according to the scouting reports.  

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

I wonder if a guy playing 2B in college can even stick there in MLB, maybe another COF/DH to add to the logjam

Everything I have seen so far has him likely sticking at 2B, although its obviously very early. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

and a 2B

Stand by for the over slot picks!  😉 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

and a 2B

The Orioles and some scouts think that Cowser can stick in center. And everyone seems to think Norby will stick at second.

• Upvote 3