lovetoaster

2021 2nd round pick (41): Connor Norby - 2B - (Junior) East Carolina University

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Seriously? You’re gonna complain about the #25 prospect being picked at 41? Armchair GMs kill me when it comes to the draft. 

Im not complaining..I said he is a solid pick.   I am saying I would like to see more upside, especially when you went for lesser upside with the first pick with the thought being you could spend money later.

You can draft Lawlar and get Norby.  That's easy to do.

Again, we are losing ML games on purpose and the draft is literally the only baseball reason to do that.  So I expect them to draft guys they couldn't get if they weren't losing 100+ games.  They can get guys like Norby in the later rounds.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Im not complaining..I said he is a solid pick.   I am saying I would like to see more upside, especially when you went for lesser upside with the first pick with the thought being you could spend money later.

Again, we are losing ML games on purpose and the draft is literally the only baseball reason to do that.  So I expect them to draft guys they couldn't get if they weren't losing 100+ games.  They can get guys like Norby in the later rounds.

They are almost certainly going to spend pretty much all of the draft slot value, so getting worked up over where they go overslot seems silly.

We'll see. Will Taylor and Bubba Chandler are still on the board. If one of those is the pick at #65 would you be happy?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How many times did you watch Lawler play?

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

They are almost certainly going to spend pretty much all of the draft slot value, so getting worked up over where they go overslot seems silly.

We'll see. Will Taylor and Bubba Chandler are still on the board. If one of those is the pick at #65 would you be happy?

Don't you dare tell SG that getting worked up is silly.  SG will damn well get worked up wherever he damn well pleases.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

so getting worked up over where they go overslot seems silly.

Getting worked up is the name of the game here. The Orioles draft two of the most polished college bats who will probably fly through the system and the "rebuild should be over NOW" crowd complains that they don't draft HS kids who they've never seen play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Sure and I know they will spend the money but they still need to make those picks and get the players signed.  

That being said, I would rather make sure we get those guys now and then go get your Norby type guys.  

Norby is fine..hopefully he moves fast and is a 2-3 WAR second baseman for us soon enough.  Just prefer the upside.  Same thought process with Cowser vs Lawlar.

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They will definitely be able to get one of these guys and may have their choice.

I like this pick. I didn't care for Cowser with the 5th pick (he was more mid-first round talent), but I do think Norby is a good pick based on the things I've read. It also seems the Orioles are prioritizing the hit tool over other tools which is something I like as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jamalshw said:

I like this pick. I didn't care for Cowser with the 5th pick (he was more mid-first round talent), but I do think Norby is a good pick based on the things I've read. It also seems the Orioles are prioritizing the hit tool over other tools which is something I like as well. 

Drafting good college hitters can be a way to build a strong lineup fast.