lovetoaster

2021 4th round pick (106): Donta Williams - OF - (Senior) Arizona

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd have preferred it if he went this crazy on arms.  Like my strategy from a few years ago, just draft nothing but pitching, rounds 1-50.  Someone good would have had to have landed.  

Just now, Yossarian said:

It's obvious Elias doesn't think Yusniel Diaz is going to make the MLB team now, right?  Probably has doubts about the future of Stewart, McKenna, Hays and Santander in the outfield, too.

Well, the infield has Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz, Hernaiz, Servideo and now Norby. It's conceivable that we're feeling relatively settled there.

It's hard to imagine we're feeling good about our young outfielders. So this might be a needish type of draft.

Still, the lack of pitching is...interesting, to me. This has to be philosophical, right?

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So is he cheap. Has no leverage. 

Technically all seniors have some leverage this year (and for the next couple years), because COVID granted all players that were in school for the 2020 season an extra year of eligibility. 

But no 22 year-old has much leverage.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Technically all seniors have leverage this year (and for the next couple years), because COVID granted all 2020 players an extra year of eligibility. 

Good point. That said I don’t think he is being picked here to go back. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Well, the infield has Westburg, Henderson, Ortiz, Hernaiz, Servideo and now Norby. It's conceivable that we're feeling relatively settled there.

It's hard to imagine we're feeling good about our young outfielders. So this might be a needish type of draft.

Still, the lack of pitching is...interesting, to me. This has to be philosophical, right?

Maybe. They must feel better at their projections ability to nab underrated pros (Bradish) in deals than project out amateur talent?? Have we saved enough money in this draft yet for a nice overslot in Round 6?

6 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He is actually a senior, not a junior.

I wasn't sure what to list since Arizona listed him as a junior, but he is a fourth-year junior. COVID made everything weird. Haha.

Obviously he's going the draft the bats, trade for and go FA for the arms route but I hope he realizes getting a difference-making free agent pitcher to come to Baltimore is going to be virtually impossible, even with a strong, young line-up. 

Just now, vab said:

Obviously he's going the draft the bats, trade for and go FA for the arms route but I hope he realizes getting a difference-making free agent pitcher to come to Baltimore is going to be virtually impossible, even with a strong, young line-up. 

He will be looking for Charlie Morton types in FA, plus as you said trading for arms. 

1 minute ago, lovetoaster said:

I wasn't sure what to list since Arizona listed him as a junior, but he is a fourth-year junior. COVID made everything weird. Haha.

Yeah, MLB lists him as a senior, he played as full of a season as anyone else did in 2020 and played full seasons in 2018 and 2019. To me he is a senior, but as I said, he still has eligibility left so he isn't a $10K sign.

From ProspectsLive:

Williams has been the catalyst sparkplug at the top of the Wildcats all season. He's a good runner and plays a good centerfield. Williams doesn't have a lot of thump in the bat, but he's recognized for solid bat-to-ball skills and the ability to take his walks. There's not a ton of ceiling in Williams, but he's a good player who's tools have a good chance of playing their way to the big leagues.

Edited by acslater

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Maybe. They must feel better at their projections ability to nab underrated pros (Bradish) in deals than project out amateur talent?? Have we saved enough money in this draft yet for a nice overslot in Round 6?

It would be an interesting case study I suppose.

I used to think Elias' philosophy was to get toolsy infielders because you can always turn them into outfielders. Now he's just drafted a few toolsy type of outfielders. 

Hasn't gone the pitching route yet though. Maybe next year? 

I just kind of wish that we did because I'm not aware of much in the lower minors to restock our pitching depth. Maybe the DR guys are good? Time will tell.