Frobby

Mullins and Means miss Fangraphs top 50 trade value list, get honorable mention status

Fangraphs is starting its annual list of the top 50 players in trade value.   They listed a whole bunch of honorable mentions in different categories, including Mullins and Means in the category “Team-Controlled But How Good are They?”   From Kevin Goldstein:

“Cedric Mullins received some limited support but there were just too many questions about how real his 2021 performance is. If he keeps this up, he’ll certainly show up next year; he isn’t eligible for arbitration (the whole process for which could change with a new CBA) until 2023. Among the arms, Sandy Alcantara, Max Fried and Casey Mize each had some limited support, but ultimately missed because they feel more like solid rotation pieces than future stars, while Means’ injury, age, and lack of pure power stuff created just enough pause to keep him out of the top 50.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-trade-value-intro-and-honorable-mentions/

Manny Machado is an honorable mention under the category “Stars with Big Contracts.”

NOT on the Honorable Mention list under “Prospects, Prospects, Prospects” is Adley Rutschman.   The list includes players like Torkelson and Witt.   I suspect that means Adley is going to show up on the top 50 trade value list    Grayson Rodriguez isn’t listed either, but I expect he is not going to show up in the top 50, he just missed the honorable mention cut.

I won’t be that surprised if Grayson is also in the Top 50. I remember seeing at least one Fangraphs writer say that he’s debatably the #1 pitching prospect. And would you trade Means or Mullins for a Grayson-like prospect? I think many would. 

From the intro to the Trade Value series:

"Because the gap between the haves and have-nots is so wide, and because teams need so many players to compete, a rebuilding team might not even make an offer on Mike Trout.  Likewise, a team in win-now mode likely wouldn't surrender the players necessary to pry Adley Rutschman away from the Orioles, even if they could."

Basically, it would cost so much to get Rutschman, he would not provide excess value to the team trading for him due to the understandably high acquisition cost.

20 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I won’t be that surprised if Grayson is also in the Top 50. I remember seeing at least one Fangraphs writer say that he’s debatably the #1 pitching prospect. And would you trade Means or Mullins for a Grayson-like prospect? I think many would. 

I don't think that the Orioles would make that trade, i.e. give up Rodriquez for that type of return. 

Looks like definitely no Grayson, as 50-41 published this afternoon, culminating at #41 Trevor Rogers, DL Hall's high school lefty mate from the 2017 draft.    The Honorable Mentions of Patino, Gilbert and even Nate Pearson (ha!) suggest some AAA/MLB results meant something to the list makers.

I was surprised to see HOU Luis Garcia inside the 50, but see that as Kevin Goldstein's special contribution and pride at the Astros while he was there being early adopters of pitch data for Latin American kids.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think that the Orioles would make that trade, i.e. give up Rodriquez for that type of return. 

Would be dumb for the O's to make that trade.

Now a contending team might.

28 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Both Grayson and Adley will appear. Neither was part of the exclusion. 

Prospects, Prospects, Prospects
CJ Abrams
Vidal Bruján
Henry Davis
Logan Gilbert
Jarred Kelenic
Alex Kirilloff
Luis Patiño
Julio Rodríguez
Spencer Torkelson
Andrew Vaughn
Bobby Witt Jr

I’d draw that conclusion for Adley (rated no. 2 prospect by Fangraphs), but probably not for Grayson (rated somewhere in the 30’s).   They don’t rate Grayson as highly as BA and others.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d draw that conclusion for Adley (rated no. 2 prospect by Fangraphs), but probably not for Grayson (rated somewhere in the 30’s).   They don’t rate Grayson as highly as BA and others.  

You are likely correct.