Hazmat

Nomar Mazara

Any interest?  He's being released by the Tigers.  Could the O's "fix" Mazara?  Is there anything to fix or is he what he is at this point?  Still just 26.  Yusniel Diaz will be 25 in October.  

I'd offer him a AAA contact with a call up in Sept if he plays well.   If he is  on a minor league contract he will not be a FA after the season.  The O's have chance to see how he does and whether they want him on the 40 man roster in November.

Just adding talent to the system.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'd offer him a AAA contact with a call up in Sept if he plays well.   If he is  on a minor league contract he will not be a FA after the season.  The O's have chance to see how he does and whether they want him on the 40 man roster in November.

Just adding talent to the system.

I wouldn't say he is "talent'.   He's 26 years old, his best year ever is 1.0 WAR, he is clearly a defensive liability.  

I'd rather have Renato Nunez.

And the major league roster only expands by 2 in September.  Probably a 3rd C (Cumberland most likely even though there is someone else we would all love to see) and an extra arm.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wouldn't say he is "talent'.   He's 26 years old, his best year ever is 1.0 WAR, he is clearly a defensive liability.  

I'd rather have Renato Nunez.

And the major league roster only expands by 2 in September.  Probably a 3rd C (Cumberland most likely even though there is someone else we would all love to see) and an extra arm.

There will probably be injuries.   I don't know much about his defense but .989 fielding percentage does look that bad in RF.   If he does not perform well at AAA they can cut him.  But if he does well he could add to the talent.

Trending downward the last couple seasons and doesn't really offer anything that the Orioles don't already have in the outfield. 

Also, his advanced fielding metrics are bad and the last thing the O's need is another mediocre fielder in the outfield. The fact is if Mazara could hit enough to be a DH, he wouldn't be available right now.