Jump to content
Hazmat

The Cleveland...Guardians?

Recommended Posts

Well, we know who’s going to get the first pick in that 2023 draft, because nobody’s going to buy a ticket to see the guardians, and they won’t have any budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there is a bridge in Cleveland that crosses the Cuyahoga River and connects the east and west side of the town, and it's not far from the stadium.   And the statues at each end of the bridge are known locally as the Guardian Statues.

So I guess there is some sort of local connection that Clevelanders would get, maybe like a Baltimorean might recognize the Domino Sugar sign or something.

But I still think it's a pretty weak name.   Doesn't move the needle in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock and Roll HOF is in Cleveland.  Should have gone with the Cleveland Rock or Rockers or Rollers.  Something like that.  I don't know.  I guess people in Cleveland really like those Guardian statues.  Whatever floats their boat, I guess.  Missed opportunity, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They took the cartoon image of the Indian off the hat. They should have had some courage and kept the name. I mean, is the word Indian now offensive? Even indigenous peoples (American Indians) use Indian in one of their most prominent organizations, AIM. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2021 at 10:07 AM, Hazmat said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/cleveland-indians-change-name-guardians.html

 

Just awful.  What a missed opportunity to go back to the Spiders.

Sure, link yourself back to the worst team in baseball history!

Still, I’m surprised they couldn’t come up with something better than Guardians.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 11:21 AM, Number5 said:

Rock and Roll HOF is in Cleveland.  Should have gone with the Cleveland Rock or Rockers or Rollers.  Something like that.  I don't know.  I guess people in Cleveland really like those Guardian statues.  Whatever floats their boat, I guess.  Missed opportunity, IMO.

Rockers, I like that.   Missed opportunity there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, link yourself back to the worst team in baseball history!

Still, I’m surprised they couldn’t come up with something better than Guardians.   

That spider logo on the hat was awesome.  It would have appeal well outside the Cleveland market.  This Guardians logo?  Not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

That spider logo on the hat was awesome.  It would have appeal well outside the Cleveland market.  This Guardians logo?  Not so much.

I'd consider wearing it.

 

JOBPVORYMBEGBINRKFNWMNDWM4.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just when I thought no team could be worse named than Washington Football Team.  Cleveland has done it.  Let me guess a marketing firm came up with the name.  Its like the committees/PR firms that come up with Olympic mascots, which are invariably blue blobs that look like nothing and offend no one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 11:30 PM, Il BuonO said:

They took the cartoon image of the Indian off the hat. They should have had some courage and kept the name. I mean, is Indian now offensive? Even indigenous peoples (American Indians) use Indian in one of their most prominent organizations, AIM. 

They should be cancelled!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we should note why every team's name is stupid:

Yankees - before the baseball team took the name wasn't 'Yankee' basically someone from New England?  Note: New York isn't in New England.
Red Sox - yep, they have socks and sometimes they're red.  By the way, it's spelled s-o-c-k-s.
Rays - Devil Rays sounded like South Atlantic league low-A team that was trying too hard to sell hats, so they dumped the Devil part...?
Blue Jays - There are Blue Jays all over the eastern US and Canada.  Was chickadees or hummingbirds or seagulls not available?
Orioles - I mean, I guess it's fine if you want a bird that is sometimes in Baltimore.
Tigers - Team from Detroit, named for a predatory cat from Asia and the Indian subcontinent.  Makes sense.
Mets - short for "Metropolitans", which are people who live in a city?  So, applies equally to Des Moines and Billings?
Cubs - they changed names like five times from 1880-1905, so when a newspaper guy came up with Cubs they were finally, like, fine... that's fine...
Reds - another in a long line of teams inventively named for the color of their socks.
White Sox - see Reds.
Cardinals - see White Sox.
Phillies - Horses?  Sure, horses.  Probably a better choice than "our fans are going heckle us no matter what we're called."
Pirates - When I think of a rustbelt city in western PA, I think of Johnny Depp or Somali gangs.
Brewers - Yes, Milwaukee has beer.  Schlitz beer, that's what you want to be remembered for.
Twins - Yes, there's two cities close to one another in the same state.  Like twins!
Braves - This isn't going to end well.  Especially after stealing the dumbest chant in the world from Florida State.
Nationals - Get it, we're in the National League!
Marlins - People in Florida fish for Marlins a lot more often than they go to the bad side of Miami to see baseball in an art deco dome they had to tear down the Orange Bowl to build.
Rangers - Otherwise known as cops from 100 years ago.
Astros - Go fake grass!  Or is it go space program!?  Something.
D'backs - I guess Diamondback Rattlesnakes just didn't roll off the tongue as well.  They do get bonus points for being a sort of recent expansion team that avoided a minor league name like Homicidal Snot Pigs.
Padres - Nothing gets a fanbase motivated like Spanish-era colonial monks.
Dodgers - Shortened form of Trolleydodgers, as in dodging Brooklyn's trolleys. Are there any trolleys in LA?  Did you have to steal Brooklyn's name along with their team?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, plus parts of surrounding Orange County - no comment.
Giants - I don't think the 1880s NY Giants were really that large, and, again, when you move have the courtesy to not steal another city's name.
Athletics - Are they really that athletic?  What's the quote... we're ballplayers, not athletes.
Mariners - Does anyone really think of merchant marines or the Navy or anything like that when you think of Seattle?  And what does that have to do with baseball anyway?
Royals - Is this another sock thing?  Or maybe named after the King of Kansas?
Rockies - Hey, it's the Rocky Mountains, which stretch from like Mexico to Canada, but we're taking the name because we're just not that creative.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:


D'backs - I guess Diamondback Rattlesnakes just didn't roll off the tongue as well.  They do get bonus points for being a sort of recent expansion team that avoided a minor league name like Homicidal Snot Pigs.
Padres - Nothing gets a fanbase motivated like Spanish-era colonial monks.
Dodgers - Shortened form of Trolleydodgers, as in dodging Brooklyn's trolleys. Are there any trolleys in LA?  Did you have to steal Brooklyn's name along with their team?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, plus parts of surrounding Orange County - no comment.
Giants - I don't think the 1880s NY Giants were really that large, and, again, when you move have the courtesy to not steal another city's name.
Athletics - Are they really that athletic?  What's the quote... we're ballplayers, not athletes.
Mariners - Does anyone really think of merchant marines or the Navy or anything like that when you think of Seattle?  And what does that have to do with baseball anyway?
Royals - Is this another sock thing?  Or maybe named after the King of Kansas?
Rockies - Hey, it's the Rocky Mountains, which stretch from like Mexico to Canada, but we're taking the name because we're just not that creative.

 

All I'd like to say here is that "Homicidal Snot Pigs" would make a great Punk Rock band name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...