More Boston media garbage:

I'd be willing to bet that source is Peter Gammons.

Heck it could be anybody who "thinks" they know the Red Sox...

I guarantee you would take that as gospel truth if it was in a Baltimore paper about the Orioles loving Teixeira. Why the ridiculous double standard?

Its absolutely not garbage. I bet the Red Sox are very interested in Teixeira, which is why its going to be very expensive to land him.

More Boston media garbage:

I'd be willing to bet that source is Peter Gammons.

Heck it could be anybody who "thinks" they know the Red Sox...

This is gonna be like the crying game for you, bud.

"Still not clean, still not clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I guarantee you would take that as gospel truth if it was in a Baltimore paper about the Orioles loving Teixeira. Why the ridiculous double standard?

Its absolutely not garbage. I bet the Red Sox are very interested in Teixeira, which is why its going to be very expensive to land him.

There you go Mackus, you had to drag reasoning and logic into this discussion. What's the matter with you?

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!

There you go Mackus, you had to drag reasoning and logic into this discussion. What's the matter with you?

THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS!

But to be fair, the double standard has worked the other way as well. If Tex says he wants to win, then those who are pessimistic about us signing him count that as evidence. But if he makes some sort of mention about doing what's most comfortable for his family, it's ignored.

I'm sure the idea of playing for his hometown team is appealing to him, but not as appealing as those on that side or the argument think. And I'm sure us being mired in a string of 11 straight losing seasons would cause him to hesitate signing here -- but not as much as those on that side of the argument think.

Bottom line is that none of it means anything if one particular team makes an offer significantly stronger than anyone else. If the offers are similar, then it depends on which factors he values more, and no one but Teixeira knows which they are.

Bottom line is that none of it means anything if one particular team makes an offer significantly stronger than anyone else. If the offers are similar, then it depends on which factors he values more, and no one but Teixeira knows which they are.
I think this is a great point. Someone is going to separate themselves from the rest of the pack, or we'll really find out what Tex' priorities are.

I think, if all offers are equal, Tex would go to the teams in the following order: Anaheim, New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington, San Francisco

I do think Baltimore is a lot closer to the Anaheim/NY/Boston group than the Washington/SF group, but still a bit behind.

Of course, this is mostly speculation based on rumors and trying to find any shred of truth in the public comments of Tex and Boras (of which there isn't much).

But to be fair, the double standard has worked the other way as well. If Tex says he wants to win, then those who are pessimistic about us signing him count that as evidence. But if he makes some sort of mention about doing what's most comfortable for his family, it's ignored.

I'm sure the idea of playing for his hometown team is appealing to him, but not as appealing as those on that side or the argument think. And I'm sure us being mired in a string of 11 straight losing seasons would cause him to hesitate signing here -- but not as much as those on that side of the argument think.

Mentioning whats most comfortable for his family is a lot more vague than wanting to play for a winner. That could mean something else other than playing for the hometown team.

He didn't stay at college locally, he went to Georgia Tech. Clearly he has never had any qualms about playing baseball far from home. "Comfortable" might mean most comfortable financially or have things added to his contract to have the Angels, Sox or Yanks fly his family in style to see him play for a few homestands during the year.

That's really what I've been trying to say. If the dollar amounts are roughly equal between the teams and Tex wants to play for a winner, he's not coming here unless MacPhail can do a brilliant sales job and convince Tex that we'll be winners in 2 years.

If he wants to do whats "comfortable for his family", that could mean a myriad of things. It doesn't necessarily mean "playing close to home".

I think this is a great point. Someone is going to separate themselves from the rest of the pack, or we'll really find out what Tex' priorities are.

I'm confident someone will. I can't think of any instances where a big name Boras client had to choose from several close offers. He'll get one team to tack on an extra guaranteed year or two so that one offer blows the others away.

I've said before 8/160 was my limit, with options for 2 more years. Apparently the competition is increasing. I'd up it to 10/200. I know it's a long contract but I don't think the MFY's or Sox will go that long. And in 5 years that deal will look like a steal.

I am sure everyone on here claims to know the guy in some fashion. I haven't seen the guy in 8 or 9 years. All I know is that Mark and I had several classes together at Mount Saint Joe. He followed the Orioles as close as any of you do when they were in the playoffs. I used to talk every day with him about it.

Further his dad worked at Northrop Grumman. His fathers secretary and my fathers secretary were twin sisters (so they used to see each other regularly). His dad mentioned on more than one occasion about the meaningless series sweep that cost the Orioles the 5th pick (that would have been Mark) and instead ended up with us getting Chris Smith at 7.

I can't say what Mark wants to do now. All I can say is I know then that he was a passionate Orioles guy. He wanted to be drafted here. He wanted to play here. I can't say if that passion has died or not. All I can say is we have been through 11 losing seasons and we still all love the Orioles. My guess would be a part of Mark does as well.

This post is actually the most solid piece of information I've ever seen to indicate that Tex would actually have a strong interest in playing here. Obviously, he's six years older, married, used to living far from home and he's seen what it's like to play on losing teams vs. winning teams, so there are plenty of reasons why playing in Baltimore might not be as attractive to him now that it was when he was drafted. But at least this puts into serious question the notion that Tex never really was an Orioles fan even when he lived here, which has been bandied about.

Just curious if you know - is it true that his principal rooting interest was in the Yankees?

This post is actually the most solid piece of information I've ever seen to indicate that Tex would actually have a strong interest in playing here. Obviously, he's six years older, married, used to living far from home and he's seen what it's like to play on losing teams vs. winning teams, so there are plenty of reasons why playing in Baltimore might not be as attractive to him now that it was when he was drafted. But at least this puts into serious question the notion that Tex never really was an Orioles fan even when he lived here, which has been bandied about.

Just curious if you know - is it true that his principal rooting interest was in the Yankees?

How could you possibly be a Yankees and Orioles fan? I don't think I've ever met someone that likes both teams.

So much speculation, for knowing so little...

Okay, so let's speculate. Cal Ripken. Suppose he was NOT drafted by the Orioles. Would he have come to Baltimore when his free agency hit to play for the Orioles? At that time, we would have won the Series in 83, but then not done much since then, and had the worst beginning ever in 88. Not sure when his first chance at free agency was, but would Cal have come to a losing team just for the hometown alure? Because this is exactly what we are asking Tex to do...come to a losing team JUST for the hometown alure.

Okay, so let's speculate. Cal Ripken. Suppose he was NOT drafted by the Orioles. Would he have come to Baltimore when his free agency hit to play for the Orioles? At that time, we would have won the Series in 83, but then not done much since then, and had the worst beginning ever in 88. Not sure when his first chance at free agency was, but would Cal have come to a losing team just for the hometown alure? Because this is exactly what we are asking Tex to do...come to a losing team JUST for the hometown alure.

And a few million, don't forget that part.:D

I agree, to an extent. My point is that we have no idea what Teixeira's priorities or interests are, yet everyone wants to proclaim something one way or another. We really have no idea at this point...

I've said before 8/160 was my limit, with options for 2 more years. Apparently the competition is increasing. I'd up it to 10/200. I know it's a long contract but I don't think the MFY's or Sox will go that long. And in 5 years that deal will look like a steal.

Not likely... Odds are better that at about that point we'd be starting the countdown until that contract comes off the books giving us needed payroll flexibility.