Jump to content
wildcard

A different kind of Trade Deadline Strategy

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Jose Ramirez is reportedly available.  I would look into a trade for him.

 

I like Ramirez but I think Cleveland would want more than I'd be willing to give up for him at this point. 

Pittsburgh got a top 5 prospect and filler from SD for Frazier, and I think it would take more than that to get Ramirez, IMO he's better than Frazier.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I like Ramirez but I think Cleveland would want more than I'd be willing to give up for him at this point. 

Pittsburgh got a top 5 prospect and filler from SD for Frazier, and I think it would take more than that to get Ramirez, IMO he's better than Frazier.

 

And I would be more than happy to beat that deal to get the far superior player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And I would be more than happy to beat that deal to get the far superior player.

So, you would trade D.L. Hall, Jordan Westburg, and Ryan McKenna for the right to pay Jose Ramirez 26M over the next 2 years where we are very likely not contending in either year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

So, you would trade D.L. Hall, Jordan Westburg, and Ryan McKenna for the right to pay Jose Ramirez 26M over the next 2 years where we are very likely not contending in either year?

I wouldn’t trade Hall and Westburg.

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t trade Hall and Westburg.

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

Regardless you’re going to have to give up more to get two years of a player that more than likely won’t be here when this team is contending again. 
 

I get why you’d want a player of his caliber and he would be fun to watch but I think The team needs to stick with the plan of building a pipeline of talent like Elias promised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t trade Hall and Westburg.

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

I can't think of any reason to trade for an elite player like Ramirez.  The O's would probably still be a sub .500 team even with Ramirez.  The O's are trying to rebuild the farm system, not deplete it and get back to a lower level farm system.  If the O's get Ramirez and have to give up 3 of their top 10 prospects, how does that really help the team long term.  I could see a similar trade making sense in a couple years if the O's are on the verge of being a playoff team and a similar player is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to have Ramirez on the O's, but it just doesn't make sense for the O's to give up a gaggle of top prospects for him when he's 28 and can leave after 2 years.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And I would be more than happy to beat that deal to get the far superior player.

 

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t trade Hall and Westburg.

No one SD traded is as highly rated as Hall is.  Just because they dealt their #5 prospect doesn’t mean our #5 prospect also has to be included.  

You did say you would be happy to beat that deal.  Then it sounds like you wouldn't be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

Regardless you’re going to have to give up more to get two years of a player that more than likely won’t be here when this team is contending again. 
 

I get why you’d want a player of his caliber and he would be fun to watch but I think The team needs to stick with the plan of building a pipeline of talent like Elias promised. 

You can build that pipeline and get better at the ML level at the same time.  
 

Not every MiLer is destined to become a Baltimore Oriole.  They are also assets to do other things with.

And the Os should be contending in 2023 and 2022 they should be a lot more competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RZNJ said:

 

You did say you would be happy to beat that deal.  Then it sounds like you wouldn't be.  

Hall alone may beat the deal for Frazier and Im not saying to just trade Hall for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'd love to have Ramirez on the O's, but it just doesn't make sense for the O's to give up a gaggle of top prospects for him when he's 28 and can leave after 2 years.   

I certainly would prefer it if we had him for one more year but again, I think we can win with him in these next 2 years.

I would say that if the Os were ready to start trading assets, that there are probably longer term targets that I would prefer over Ramirez but I certainly would love to add him.  Would I use my best trade chips for him?  Perhaps but I will say that it does depend on what else they would be willing to do to commit to winning now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hall alone may beat the deal for Frazier and Im not saying to just trade Hall for him.

You said Ramirez was the far superior player.  You said you would be happy to beat the other deal.  Now, you aren't even committing to trading Hall by himself.  Click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You said Ramirez was the far superior player.  You said you would be happy to beat the other deal.  Now, you aren't even committing to trading Hall by himself.  Click.

What?  Read better.

Im saying you could argue that Hall alone is better than what SD traded AND I would be trading more than just Hall to get Ramirez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What?  Read better.

Im saying you could argue that Hall alone is better than what SD traded AND I would be trading more than just Hall to get Ramirez.

Haha. Ok. So you would trade Hall but if they asked for Westburg as the second piece, you would say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • There seemed to be a trend away from giving large contract to players over 30 in the past 5 years.   But not this year.
    • I wish I knew more about how much each side is willing to dig in. My assumption is that the owners aren't going to go for a payroll floor, and that the players aren't going to fight to the death for it. I think the players hold firm on the service clock issue, and that it will be changed. I guess the issue players care most about is being paid earlier in their careers, and I think that's not without merit. My hope is that instead of sweeping changes that the owners will resist, they tweak something a little more familiar to the existing system, like making players arbitration eligible quicker. These CBA negotiations are important inflection points that help keep MLB on the right path by giving equal power to the players and owners. They become toxic when the leaders of one or both sides go on a power grab. As much as it looks like both sides are digging in, I'm not seeing either side going on one of those power grabs here, which is encouraging. That doesn't mean this won't take some time. And it might well affect the 2022 Orioles roster. It appears our shopping list is a SS/3B on a short term deal, a veteran SP, and a backup catcher. While a shortened offseason is unlikely to meaningfully harm those pursuits since we're essentially dumpster diving (not pursuing free agents on long term deals), it could help us land a player on a short deal who is a victim to a last second musical chairs scramble. And I'm guessing the upcoming deadline will result in a few deals being made and a flurry of signings. It could be argued that if the O's are going to move Mullins or Means, it becomes much less likely after Tuesday. I'm speculating like mad here. Logic would suggest that the will to compromise will be great given the financial disaster of the 2020 season and the optics of a lockout during a pandemic. 
    • Did you read my thread on payroll ups and downs?  Overall, payrolls are down about $15 mm in the last five years.   That’s what they have to complain about.  
    • He had multiple arm injuries and was held to under 80 IP.  Maybe the combo of the injuries and a small sample size led to this. Interesting name to consider but you figure he signs a pillow contract with a better team and in a better park than OPACY.
    • It’s definitely a ton of money, just saying it’s not the same as it used to be.     These salaries are all relative.  The TV signed within the last few years is the richest ever for the sport.  The money is just pouring in and Toronto has a lot of cheap talent that allows them to spend like this. I wouldn’t have given KG this contract but I understand why they did.  
    • Maybe. But he’s gonna shove it up our ass for the next 5 years, bank on that. 
    • I look at all these long term contracts being given out and I wonder what the players are complaining about.  Players around 30 (give or take a couple of years)  sign 4 to 7 year contracts for big money.  Franco getting an 11 year contract in his earlier 20s. If I am the players I don't want anything they would disrupt the distribution of the cash flow.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...