Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The AJ Burnett Watch

It definitely seems like we are in the hunt for Burnett. I certainly get the vibe that he'd like to play here. Why else would his agent be talking about how he'd like to take a "leadership" role on a young staff? That's not happening in NY, Boston or Toronto.

My take - if we make a highly competitive offer, Burnett willl sign with us.

I agree... and thankfully the Orioles don't have to deal with the Boras BS is attempting to sign AJ. While the Yankees, Angels and others fight over Sabathia I would make a full court press on AJ and try to get the deal done ASAP. Reading between the lines of what AJ and his agent have said, I truly believe AJ wants to pitch in Baltimore. I'd put out a 5yr./$64mil offer with some easily reached incentives to push the deal to $75mil. and I think AJ could be signed before the Winter Meetings.

From Roch's Blog

The Orioles are in the hunt if Burnett will take a three-year deal. (Or is it 2 years with an option?). Again, at this time of the year, players and agents aren't publically eliminating teams. It's bad business. You could write a story every day saying so-and-so is considering such-and-such. And Burnett most certainly wants to pitch here. He'll just have to do it on the Orioles' terms. We'll eventually find out if he's willing to do that. - Roch

If the O's are going to offer only 2-3 years, I would say they are out of it. Wonder what they are willing to offer Sheets? 1 Year?

I still think we will not have the best offer out there but I also think if it is close, that he may sign here anyway.

Yes, I think that's possible.

From Roch's Blog

If the O's are going to offer only 2-3 years, I would say they are out of it. Wonder what they are willing to offer Sheets? 1 Year?

Considering we only want to go three years, Burnett must really want to pitch for the Orioles to keep us in his list of teams like I suspected. I think if we add that 4th year, which we should be willing to do, we land him...

From Roch's Blog

I wouldn't worry about Roch because he keeps saying we are out of it for everyone.

I wouldn't worry about Roch because he keeps saying we are out of it for everyone.

It is a possibility that Roch is getting fed more disinformation.

• Upvote 1

Roch gets info directly from sources in the FO.

He is reported what he is told.

That doesn't mean the info he is getting is 100% accurate but to just push it aside and act as if it is meaningless is incredible naive.

From Roch's Blog...

This would fit MacPhail's mode of operations in regards to negotiations. MacPhail seems to like to say "This is what I want, take it or leave it" when it comes to contract negotiations or trade negotiations. The hard line may work in some cases, it is not going to work in the vast majority of situations when teams or players have other good options.

I seriously doubt Burnett wants to limit himself to a three year deal just for the privilege of playing close to home.

It is a possibility that Roch is getting fed more disinformation.

Absofreakinlutely. As tight-lipped as the MacPhail regime is, I highly doubt that the length of contract information is legit on this.

Roch gets info directly from sources in the FO.

He is reported what he is told.

That doesn't mean the info he is getting is 100% accurate but to just push it aside and act as if it is meaningless is incredible naive.

Oh alright. Thanks.

Do you think its possible that we may just overpay for a 3 year deal with an option?

Maybe like a 3/51 deal, with a 3 million buyout or 17 million option for 2012?