Sign in to follow this  
Sanfran327

The AJ Burnett Watch

I wasn't sure where to put this, but :

"I'm not opposed to trading within the division,'' Towers said. But he speculated that that the Dodgers had too much going on right now to conceive of putting it all aside to make a monster trade like this. The Dodgers have two infield openings, they have the Manny free agent situation, they have the CC Sabathia question, and now they have two possible openings in the rotation after top young starter Chad Billlingsley broke his leg on a patch of ice in Pennsylvania.

I guess Colletti can't walk and chew gum either, huh?

Do you think its possible that we may just overpay for a 3 year deal with an option?

Maybe like a 3/51 deal, with a 3 million buyout or 17 million option for 2012?

Exactly what I was thinking. THat is the Dodgers' M.O. as well. They will overpay for a shorter contract.

+10

characters

To add to this, if the O's were only offering 3 years (or 2 years with an option), we'd no longer even be in talks with Burnett.

It's probably the case that Roch's information is coming from AJ Burnett's agent, and not the warehouse. Andy MacPhail may be one of just a couple of people in the warehouse who know what kind of offer he would give Burnett. Getting information out of the warehouse about these kinds of things is not easy.

A lot of information today comes from agents, who have no risk of getting fired for spreading information they shouldn't. If the details about Burnett's offer from the Orioles came from Burnett's agent, the information is probably true. There would be no reason for Burnett's agent to lie about a lowball offer. Now if it the information coming out was about a ridiculously high offer for Burnett, then Burnett's agent may be exaggerating a bit. But I doubt Burnett's agent would lie about a lowball offer.

It's probably the case that Roch's information is coming from AJ Burnett's agent, and not the warehouse. Andy MacPhail may be one of just a couple of people in the warehouse who know what kind of offer he would give Burnett. Getting information out of the warehouse about these kinds of things is not easy.

A lot of information today comes from agents, who have no risk of getting fired for spreading information they shouldn't. If the details about Burnett's offer from the Orioles came from Burnett's agent, the information is probably true. There would be no reason for Burnett's agent to lie about a lowball offer. Now if it the information coming out was about a ridiculously high offer for Burnett, then Burnett's agent may be exaggerating a bit. But I doubt Burnett's agent would lie about a lowball offer.

By the same token, if the Orioles low-balled Burnett, we would not still be in the hunt. So I seriously doubt this "source" is the agent. In my opinion, although Roch does get some info, he is not much different than the rest of us, ie he is just spouting his opinion in a blog. God kows he got the Loewen deal WAY wrong, so trusting his opinion that we are not close in the bods for Tex and Burnett would not neccessarily be a wise decision.

By the same token, if the Orioles low-balled Burnett, we would not still be in the hunt. So I seriously doubt this "source" is the agent. In my opinion, although Roch does get some info, he is not much different than the rest of us, ie he is just spouting his opinion in a blog. God kows he got the Loewen deal WAY wrong, so trusting his opinion that we are not close in the bods for Tex and Burnett would not neccessarily be a wise decision.

Agreed. Let's not forget Roch's, uh... assurances that Loewen would stay in the O's organization. ;)

Agreed. Let's not forget Roch's, uh... assurances that Loewen would stay in the O's organization. ;)

Your new avatar just doesn't fit your persona on this board. I like the happier Quagmire much more, if that matters.

On Burnett, I highly doubt anyone in the warehouse thinks we'll get Burnett for 2-3 years. OTOH, I generally understand bidding low until the market sets itself. If ever there were an economy that wouldn't allow teams to live up to the big spending expectations, this is it.

By the same token, if the Orioles low-balled Burnett, we would not still be in the hunt. So I seriously doubt this "source" is the agent. In my opinion, although Roch does get some info, he is not much different than the rest of us, ie he is just spouting his opinion in a blog.
Sure, the Orioles are still in the hunt for Burnett. They will be in the hunt until Burnet signs somewhere. The Orioles can change their mind and offer Burnett a longer term contract at any time. Burnett does not seem to have a contract offer that he is willing to sign yet.

I believe the current Orioles offer for Burnett may indeed be three years in length. I don't think that's going to get it done.

If I'm AM I'd be all over that!

We'll see - hopefully, the Os are just trying to lower expectations and will eventually come through with a fourth year if that would close the deal.

It's interesting that we really do not know where the offers are with AJ.

It's a tough call on AM's part on whether to get aggressive with AJ or not, IMO. If the NYY land CC, we might be in the driver's seat with AJ. If the NYY lose CC, they might be desperate and go that fifth year - in which case we might be best off putting our best offer on the table now.

The quotes from AJ and his agent sure make it sound like we are a desired destination.

The latest revelation from the Burnett camp came Wednesday when Darek Braunecker, Burnett's agent, stated he had spoken with the Boston Red Sox and he is looking for a five-year deal.

"The framework of a deal is five years," Braunecker told ESPN. "If a team can't do that, they will be behind the 8-ball a little bit."

The Jays, who wooed and signed Burnett three years ago with a five-year, $55-million US offer, aren't scared off by having to pony up for another five-year pact.

That factor may aid them in their pursuit to re-sign Burnett after he opted out of the final two years of his contract.

Reports from both the New York Yankees and Red Sox camps indicate they are not entirely comfortable with offering the oft-injured Burnett a five-year deal.

Five years may not be the first preference of general manager J.P. Ricciardi either, but it's a concept he hasn't ruled out.

Source - Toronto Sun, Nov 26