Jump to content
Sports Guy

Orioles trade discussion thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The agent (Boras) got a mediocre player $144 mm.    Hosmer should be kissing his feet.   And yes, it is unlikely that Detroit, Pittsburgh or Baltimore would be a landing spot for a trade, but strange things happen in baseball.   

Yeah, you're right about that. I was thinking only in terms of using the limited no trade list which is pretty insignificant given the contract terms otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

Agreed. Either the agent did a poor job or there's a very unusual motivation behind those choices. The agent did not improve his client's position at all.

After you've signed a $144M contract, I'm sure your perspective about what's important changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7Mo said:

Yeah, you're right about that. I was thinking only in terms of using the limited no trade list which is pretty insignificant given the contract terms otherwise. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just think it was a poor use of his 10 slots.

I doubt he can use his blocked teams list to extract extra money or years from teams he is traded too, but stranger things have happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I doubt he can use his blocked teams list to extract extra money or years from teams he is traded too, but stranger things have happened.

With his contract and where he currently is as a player I agree. 

But it's still strikes me as being inefficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to brutalize me if my thinking is askew on this, but isn't this set up real well for a Padres/O's trade?  We trade Trey to a very good Padres team - giving him a chance he deserves and would love - to play on a team that will likely make the playoffs.  And we get a top prospect or 2 in return for taking on Hosmer's bad (but not horrific) contract and saving SD from the luxury tax.  And if Hosmer returns to his top form, he becomes tradable next year - especially if the O's chip in a bit for his salary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Is it still possible to trade players after the deadline if they pass through waivers first?  If so, then that might be an avenue for trading Matt Harvey later on--if he continues to pitch well.  

 

I thought they removed it a year or two ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Feel free to brutalize me if my thinking is askew on this, but isn't this set up real well for a Padres/O's trade?  We trade Trey to a very good Padres team - giving him a chance he deserves and would love - to play on a team that will likely make the playoffs.  And we get a top prospect or 2 in return for taking on Hosmer's bad (but not horrific) contract and saving SD from the luxury tax.  And if Hosmer returns to his top form, he becomes tradable next year - especially if the O's chip in a bit for his salary.  

As unlikely as the trade seems, there's another angle. Mancini is universally loved as a teammate. Hosmer is too. Hosmer would be a great clubhouse leader for the O's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Damn, the Mariners just got Abraham Toro from the Astros.  He was a guy I earmarked this past offseason as a blocked Ml ready third baseman to target.

Yup a good haul for Graveman. Not a superstar, but a guy who could give you 3fWAR seasons for cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 Fry

54 Mancini

55 Means 

58 Mullens 

 

also to watch …. Orioles: Cole Sulser, Matt Harvey, Tanner Scott, Anthony Santander
 

BTW …. The list is loaded with Ex Os having good years Cobb, Givens, Schoop, Davies 

 

 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/top-60-mlb-trade-candidates-trade-deadlnie.html

 


 

 

 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/top-60-mlb-trade-candidates-trade-deadlnie.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Damn, the Mariners just got Abraham Toro from the Astros.  He was a guy I earmarked this past offseason as a blocked Ml ready third baseman to target.

DiPoto probably has half a dozen trades to do the next three days so maybe we haven't missed our chance yet.   Lookout Landing says he's given quotes it is first of a series of moves that will make sense, and not hard to picture Royals/Merrifield or Nationals/Turner wanting Toro as part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...