Jump to content
Frobby

I haven’t seen any value in Domingo Leyba

Recommended Posts

Don’t forget Richie Martin who has just started his rehab with a game in Florida and another with Bowie.   They are really testing him out too.... 4 SB attempts in the two games, 3 successful.  I think he leapfrogs Leyba.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Leyba has been accessed and found wanting. Worth the shot, but he's an overweight below average defender who hasn't shown an ability to hit major league pitching.

I’ve seen several balls up the middle elude Leyba and Urias in the last few days that a good 2B/SS combo would convert into outs.  Yesterday there was a slow chopper a little to the left of 2B that should have been Urias’ ball, but he let Leyba get it and neither covered 2B where there should have been a pretty easy force play.   Leyba just ate the ball and stood there.   I’m seeing too many plays like that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve seen several balls up the middle elude Leyba and Urias in the last few days that a good 2B/SS combo would convert into outs.  Yesterday there was a slow chopper a little to the left of 2B that should have been Urias’ ball, but he let Leyba get it and neither covered 2B where there should have been a pretty easy force play.   Leyba just ate the ball and stood there.   I’m seeing too many plays like that.  

Neither have a lot of range for sure. It was why Urias was being looked at more as a 2B who can play SS on occasion vs an everyday SS. Leyba is just overweight and was never a great defender in the first place.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Neither have a lot of range for sure. It was why Urias was being looked at more as a 2B who can play SS on occasion vs an everyday SS. Leyba is just overweight and was never a great defender in the first place.

I think Urias is a pretty decent utility option.  I’m sold that he can hit a little.  But I don’t want him as my everyday SS, and I’m not sure he’s an everyday 2B either.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimGinSP said:

Don’t forget Richie Martin who has just started his rehab with a game in Florida and another with Bowie.   They are really testing him out too.... 4 SB attempts in the two games, 3 successful.  I think he leapfrogs Leyba.

He could be a dynamic player if he ever learns to hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Urias is a pretty decent utility option.  I’m sold that he can hit a little.  But I don’t want him as my everyday SS, and I’m not sure he’s an everyday 2B either.   

I haven't ruled out that he can't hit enough to be an effective everyday second baseman yet, but there are enough other options moving up through the system that he's probably heading to a utility role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As it pertains to J. Jones, even though he's not a top prospect, I get the sense that the team likes him enough that they want him to be a guy that stays up once he's promoted. In my mind, Leyba is a placeholder until the team thinks Jones is ready to move up and stay up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

As it pertains to J. Jones, even though he's not a top prospect, I get the sense that the team likes him enough that they want him to be a guy that stays up once he's promoted. In my mind, Leyba is a placeholder until the team thinks Jones is ready to move up and stay up.

Jones is going to get a year or two at most before Vavra and Norby are knocking on the door. His bat cooling off in Norfolk isnt helping his case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Jones is going to get a year or two at most before Vavra and Norby are knocking on the door. His bat cooling off in Norfolk isnt helping his case. 

Same logic for Vavra (why he's not in Baltimore). Obviously Norby wouldn't be playing in Baltimore right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Same logic for Vavra (why he's not in Baltimore). Obviously Norby wouldn't be playing in Baltimore right now.

Vavra is injured.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Vavra is injured.  

I meant moreso generally (vs. specifics of today and injury status). Leyba is the one up at the ML precisely because the team doesn't really care about his long-term future given what we know now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Nope..he deserved the call up based on what he did in AAA and the lack of options up here but he hasn’t been good.

 

Time to move on.

I mean he was the 19th-best hitter on the 66-74 2019 Reno Aces.  And that was 80% of his AAA time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there goes the Galvis for Leyba thought. Leyba is overweight, and has no range. He has taken the most disinterested swings I have seen in a while. They took a rightful look, and it’s not good. So, now what? Do they just bring up Richie? Mason McCoy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...