Jump to content
Sports Guy

Orioles trade Armstrong to Tampa for cash considerations

Recommended Posts

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

He was DFA'd on June 4th. Cleared waivers on June 11th. 

So, on June 4 there wasn't a single team in baseball that was willing to claim him.  But, on July 30 we were able to pull in some cash?  How is that dumb or bad?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NCRaven said:

Armstrong is one of those dime a dozen right-handed relievers and we actually got something for him.  Does anyone think that another team would actually give up a prospect for Armstrong?  No way.

I think the question is more why the rays wanted him. They have a roster crunch too. The most likely response is that they saw his k rate And thought they could do something with him.

And remember, “cash considerations “could be $100 million, and that’s not nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

He passes through waivers just over a month ago. Other teams weren't even willing to pay his salary six or seven weeks ago. 

They weren't willing to pay his salary AND devote a 40 man roster spot to him.  Tampa doesn't have to put him on the 40, this was a minor league deal, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It will be interesting to see if Armstrong develops into an effective bullpen arm with the Rays. But, I really hope there are other trades made by Elias today and this isn't the highlight of the trade deadline for the Orioles. 

Every time a trade happens, I wonder if that decreases the value of the guys we have on the block. Seattle has acquired a couple of relievers, but they also lost one to an 80 game suspension.

Their roster reveals a single left-handed reliever( with a 5.48 ERA)but 3 left-handed starters.

They also have a really lousy first baseman, heading .216 with three home runs, and they got HIM off waivers from the Indians.

DiPoto should be sending Mike flowers and chocolates every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds right. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds some success in Tampa, if they choose to put him on their 40-man. He's shown flashes but has had a really sporadic career. Reminds me of when we traded Dan Straily a couple years ago. Both terrible this year at the ML level, got onto a roll at AAA and some team said we'll take him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

So, on June 4 there wasn't a single team in baseball that was willing to claim him.  But, on July 30 we were able to pull in some cash?  How is that dumb or bad?

I don't see it as bad...don't think you are asking me. 

 

Armstrong had a 3.18 ERA at Norfolk, so he probably looked much better. If the Orioles didn't plan to give him a roster spot, then getting something in return for him is better than just paying him a ML salary to pitch at Norfolk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

Every time a trade happens, I wonder if that decreases the value of the guys we have on the block. Seattle has acquired a couple of relievers, but they also lost one to an 80 game suspension.

Their roster reveals a single left-handed reliever( with a 5.48 ERA)but 3 left-handed starters.

They also have a really lousy first baseman, heading .216 with three home runs, and they got HIM off waivers from the Indians.

DiPoto should be sending Mike flowers and chocolates every day.

With all the trades that have gone down already it does make you think how many trades will go down today. A number of relievers are going to get traded today and that will include at least one or more Orioles relievers. 

I think Trey's chance of getting traded today has gone down with all the 1B/DH types that were traded this week. And if Armstrong can get traded there is still a chance for Matt Harvey to get dealt for a DSL player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They weren't willing to pay his salary AND devote a 40 man roster spot to him.  Tampa doesn't have to put him on the 40, this was a minor league deal, right?

Good point. Although I suspect they have to pay the rest of his 850k salary. They can stash him at AAA as insurance, but he's not cheap insurance and the Rays' budget is very tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

there is still a chance for Matt Harvey to get dealt for a DSL player. 

I would be completely shocked if Harvey were traded for anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armstrong pitched relatively well for Norfolk after being sent down.   He’s had some decent stretches for us in the past.   Who knows, maybe he’ll get a call-up at some point and have a few good weeks. Stranger things have happened.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Not thrilled about the return being cash considerations.

Really?  He was release material which is how we got him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RZNJ said:

Really?  He was release material which is how we got him.

Would have preferred a 17 year old lottery ticket but it's not like I'm upset about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...