Jump to content
Tony-OH

Colton Cowser 2021

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Doesn't sound like Elias.    He is more likely to put Cowser at A+ for a month or so and then promote him to Bowie if he earns it.  Rotate the OFer at DH.   Cook could start the 2022 at Delmarva and be called up when his averages are higher.

He started Rutschman in AA after the lost year so I could see Cowser getting pushed to AA to start the year. Cowser's advanced approach makes him a guy that can be pushed aggressively in my opinion.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping that April 15, 2023 candle lit.

Level | At-Bats | BB | K | OPS

Alex Bregman:

Low-A | 112 | 17 | 13 | 699

High-A | 160 | 12 | 17 | 839

Double-A | 236 | 42 | 26 | 975

Triple-A | 78 | 5 | 12 | 1015

Colton Cowser:

Low-A | 94 | 21 | 18 | 915

Bregman is basically "young Votto", one of the game's elite commanders of the strike zone.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cowser went 3 for 5 with 3 RBI and a walk last night, raising his slash line to .351/.479/.436.    He really hadn’t hit for much power for Delmarva, but he’s always on base.   

Tough power park too though.  
 

He really does seem like Markakis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta give Elias some love today. First, Mayo. Enough said. Second, Cowser over Watson and the SS w/torn labrum looks like Elias made the right call. Plus we were able to draft essentially that whole juggernaut lineup in Delmarva with the savings. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be the rain cloud today.  Cowser is doing very nicely at Delmarva but in his case, a 1:5 pick should be tearing it up down there.   He looks good but the lack of doubles and homeruns is something to keep an eye on.    The extra base output is extremely low even for a pitchers park.   I'm sure he's got the power but maybe needs to tweak things a little.   Norby, IMO, has been a little disappointing.   The strikeouts are high for someone who was supposed to be one of the top pure hitters in the college ranks.   I'm surprised he's striking out as much as he has.   Trimble has really failed to get untracked at all and is practically a sure bet to start at Delmarva next year.    I do think Teter and Cook have been nice surprises thus far and Rhodes looks solid as well.   Everyone is doing about what would be expected or better with the exception of Trimble.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to see Cowser for the first time down here in Salem last night. That was his final game this season for Delmarva as he sat out today's season finale. I have a question for anyone who might know the answer. Why did he choose to wear number 20? He must know he can't wear that number as an Oriole. I'm hoping he's paying tribute to Frank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, RZNJ said:

I'll be the rain cloud today.  Cowser is doing very nicely at Delmarva but in his case, a 1:5 pick should be tearing it up down there.   He looks good but the lack of doubles and homeruns is something to keep an eye on.    The extra base output is extremely low even for a pitchers park.   I'm sure he's got the power but maybe needs to tweak things a little.   Norby, IMO, has been a little disappointing.   The strikeouts are high for someone who was supposed to be one of the top pure hitters in the college ranks.   I'm surprised he's striking out as much as he has.   Trimble has really failed to get untracked at all and is practically a sure bet to start at Delmarva next year.    I do think Teter and Cook have been nice surprises thus far and Rhodes looks solid as well.   Everyone is doing about what would be expected or better with the exception of Trimble.    

Isn't the modern day thinking that OBP is more important than SLG? So while Cowser has a .904 OPS, his 158 wRC+ is quite impressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Isn't the modern day thinking that OBP is more important than SLG? So while Cowser has a .904 OPS, his 158 wRC+ is quite impressive. 

The potential problem is that guys who don’t hit for power often find their OBP drops as they move up the ladder.   Simply put, major leaguer pitchers don’t walk singles hitters much.    Low A pitchers can’t help themselves.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Frobby said:

The potential problem is that guys who don’t hit for power often find their OBP drops as they move up the ladder.   Simply put, major leaguer pitchers don’t walk singles hitters much.    Low A pitchers can’t help themselves.   

I think he will be fine but this is why I wouldn’t place him above Mayo in prospect rankings now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

The potential problem is that guys who don’t hit for power often find their OBP drops as they move up the ladder.   Simply put, major leaguer pitchers don’t walk singles hitters much.    Low A pitchers can’t help themselves.   

Intuitively speaking, this sound like it should be the case but there are a fair number of valuable major leaguers who don't hit for a lot of power and are still able draw lots of walks. Tommy Pham, Nathaniel Lowe, and DJ LeMahieu are good examples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Intuitively speaking, this sound like it should be the case but there are a fair number of valuable major leaguers who don't hit for a lot of power and are still able draw lots of walks. Tommy Pham, Nathaniel Lowe, and DJ LeMahieu are good examples. 

Yeah, I wouidn’t say it never happens.  But we do see a lot of guys whose walk rates drop as they approach or reach the majors.   

I should add that I’m not that worried about this with Cowser.   He didn’t hit for much power in a relatively small sample size at Delmarva, but I certainly believe he has significantly more power than he showed this year.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cowser had a great start to his professional career. The OBP (.476), wRC+ (158) and WOBA (.435) were all very impressive at Delmarva. Next year I'd like to see him tap into his power a bit more, but nothing to be unhappy about right now. Besides, is anyone going to be upset if he can be a .380-.400 OBP guy at the major league level even if he ends up only hitting 8-15 homers a year? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...