Jump to content
Tony-OH

Colton Cowser 2021

Recommended Posts

I don’t think we know what Elias will do.

He can be slow and deliberate right now because he can do it under the disguise of the team not trying to win.

But what happens when that changes and you need this guys?  At that point, he may be more aggressive.

Again, we are only talking about a few guys when we talk about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Adley 

Adley lost a year to COVID.  I think it's likely he had started in Aberdeen if we had a minor league season in 2020 and I would expect Stowers and Watson to have started in Delmarva. 

Aberdeen is the best bet for Cowser, Norby, and possibly some others like Mayo, Teter, and Rhodes who are putting up very good numbers in Delmarva.  I expect quick promotions though if they dominate that level early in the season. 

We are going to be flooded with OF prospects ready to break into the bigs in 2023. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Adley 

You could say he skipped High A but we had no mil season last year and he played at the alternate site.  Technically, he skipped a level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Adley lost a year to COVID.  I think it's likely he had started in Aberdeen if we had a minor league season in 2020 and I would expect Stowers and Watson to have started in Delmarva. 

Aberdeen is the best bet for Cowser, Norby, and possibly some others like Mayo, Teter, and Rhodes who are putting up very good numbers in Delmarva.  I expect quick promotions though if they dominate that level early in the season. 

We are going to be flooded with OF prospects ready to break into the bigs in 2023. 

Add in if we get Kjerstad playing and if we take Greene with the #1 pick. The OF is loaded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Adley 

Heh.  Fair point.  One can say that Adley both went to Aberdeen and also skipped Aberdeen and you would be completely truthful.   Funny.

I think if there was a 2020 season he would have started at high A Frederick, but we will never know obviously.   So there has been one exception so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Just going by what he has said in the past is enough for me.  And seeing how he has handled every prospect so far without exception.   If there is other evidence I'm not aware of that goes against his stated development plans I am open to seeing it.

Not every prospect is a top 5 pick out of college. Adley's first full season, there was no minor league baseball and Kjerstad has had health issues.

There are a ton of OF's on the current Delmarva roster, three of them besides Cowser were early draft picks, who will likely move up to begin next season.

My guess is that Aberdeen's core OF to begin the year will be Kjerstad, Rhodes, Trimble & Williams, and/or possibly Haskin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting on my magic prediction glasses and assuming everyone is fully healthy in Spring 2022 (including Kjerstad).....

I would predict Cowser starts at Aberdeen on Opening Day and Kjerstad at Delmarva.   I know that may seem crazy (Kjerstad will be 23) but I think in his case they will want to give him every chance to ease into it....after not playing competitive baseball in like 2 years at that point.

I would imagine if all goes according to plan neither Cowser nor Kjerstad will be at those levels for very long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think we know what Elias will do.

He can be slow and deliberate right now because he can do it under the disguise of the team not trying to win.

But what happens when that changes and you need this guys?  At that point, he may be more aggressive.

Again, we are only talking about a few guys when we talk about this.

 I agree with most of this.   I think we are about done with phase one of filling up the minor league pipeline.   The competition among position players is pretty fierce at almost every spot now.   This was a good year for Elias to sort through the talent and see what’s what.   From here on out I think you’ll see Elias get more aggressive when a player warrants it.   Nobody will be handed a job, because there’s competition everywhere.

I’m still waiting to see what Elias is going to do to acquire some pitching depth, which is desperately needed.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 I agree with most of this.   I think we are about done with phase one of filling up the minor league pipeline.   The competition among position players is pretty fierce at almost every spot now.   This was a good year for Elias to sort through the talent and see what’s what.   From here on out I think you’ll see Elias get more aggressive when a player warrants it.   Nobody will be handed a job, because there’s competition everywhere.

I’m still waiting to see what Elias is going to do to acquire some pitching depth, which is desperately needed.   

I think Elias will continue to fill up the minor league pipeline.   He will be adding international players and promoting them up the levels.  He will trade major leaguers and minor leaguers for  younger prospects.  I don't see that stopping or even decreasing as long as Elias is here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Elias will continue to fill up the minor league pipeline.   He will be adding international players and promoting them up the levels.  He will trade major leaguers and minor leaguers for  younger prospects.  I don't see that stopping or even decreasing as long as Elias is here.

Thus why he said phase 1.  You obviously never stop filling your minor leagues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

I think Elias will continue to fill up the minor league pipeline.   He will be adding international players and promoting them up the levels.  He will trade major leaguers and minor leaguers for  younger prospects.  I don't see that stopping or even decreasing as long as Elias is here.

I said phase I, didn’t I?    Of course he’s not done.   But the pipeline before he arrived was half-empty.   Now it’s more replacing the guys who graduate, rather than filling gaping holes (on the position player side).    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Aglets said:

Putting on my magic prediction glasses and assuming everyone is fully healthy in Spring 2022 (including Kjerstad).....

I would predict Cowser starts at Aberdeen on Opening Day and Kjerstad at Delmarva.   I know that may seem crazy (Kjerstad will be 23) but I think in his case they will want to give him every chance to ease into it....after not playing competitive baseball in like 2 years at that point.

I would imagine if all goes according to plan neither Cowser nor Kjerstad will be at those levels for very long.

I still see Cowser getting to Aberdeen this year. Especially with the Deson promotion. I also think Cowser gets 75 ABs in the AFL and starts next year at Bowie. I’m hoping Kjerstad just DHs at Delmarva on OD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that the entire Covid situation, the impact it had on high school, college, minor league, and major league baseball last year makes it impossible to make assumptions on how Elias will draft and promote players in the future compared to how he has so far.  I'm still very much in wait and see mode about how he'll operate in the future.  I agree that it's time to think about adding pieces that will help us win sooner rather than later.  After Stroman's support of Trey (okay, and the fact that he's legitimately good) i'd be good with a multi-year deal for him.  And, I wouldn't mind a two-year deal for someone like Josh Harrison to play 3B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that the entire Covid situation, the impact it had on high school, college, minor league, and major league baseball last year makes it impossible to make assumptions on how Elias will draft and promote players in the future compared to how he has so far.  I'm still very much in wait and see mode about how he'll operate in the future.  I agree that it's time to think about adding pieces that will help us win sooner rather than later.  After Stroman's support of Trey (okay, and the fact that he's legitimately good) i'd be good with a multi-year deal for him.  And, I wouldn't mind a two-year deal for someone like Josh Harrison to play 3B.

We should not be giving two-year deals to 34 year old players who were terrible for a recent two year stretch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

We should not be giving two-year deals to 34 year old players who were terrible for a recent two year stretch. 

By "someone like" I mean't a veteran 3Bman better than the one-year rentals we've been signing, i.e. Franco.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Yeah, so I’ve held off telling the story about my interaction w/ Jones, but he’s no longer an Oriole, so.... I posted years ago about a hitting clinic he held at SDSU w/ Harold Reynolds. It was a fun time for me and my daughters taking a road trip from Los Angeles.  After the clinic was over we, of course, went to see about getting something signed or a picture. We waited patiently as he signed for a number of people and then I approached him to get a picture of him and my girls. He started to lineup to do so and then balked at the idea, saying it would take too much time, at which the expressions of my kids faces visibly dropped. Disappointing to say the least, but I explained it away with some such fatherly bs.  I never mentioned it in the thread about our trip because I knew there would likely be disbelief or outright anger for me calling out an Oriole player, especially Jones. After all these years, it wasn't a huge deal, but yes, I lost respect for him. As far as I know, Palmer has always been great with not only fans, but going out of his way to be available for them. There’s also no one else I’d rather listen to call a game than Jim Palmer. His stories are part of that.
    • Well Machado should’ve been dealt the offseason before but somehow we were still going for it with a team that actually won 47 games. The only thing bad I could say about what DD did in the Machado trade, is that he should’ve gotten more A ball players versus trying to get players that were closer to being ready. However, The Dodgers had just spent $50+ million on Diaz, Pop was 20, and Kremer was leading all of milb in SO. 
    • Unless the CBA changes there is zero incentive to call up AR before June 1. It’s not like another 60 days of “bad” PR is going to hurt this franchise any more. 
    • Oh, absolutely.   The O’s were leading the division by six games when this news broke.   It stung pretty badly to lose Manny in that situation.   As it turns out, the team played well without him for the rest of the regular season.   But we’ll always wonder if he could have made a difference in that KC series, if he’d managed to rehab and return to the field.     Some posters faulted him for not acceding to the team’s wishes.   Not me though.  
    • Win 3 Cy Youngs, 3 World Series and a WS game in 3 decades and you can be as arrogant as you want.   Palmer rules.
    • So trade our best performing position player in order to get prospects that don’t usually pan out… i.e Machado deal  Pass 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...