Jump to content
wildcard

Richie Martin's range and arm

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Haha, was thinking the same thing. Martin definitely has his share of fans on here, and I'm certainly not gonna tell them that they're wrong, but I just don't get it.  He can't hit and never has. He can play SS ok but not exceptionally so.  I agree, I'd have no issues if he were released tomorrow.  He's no consideration for me for the future. 

But to each their own. 

I agree. He makes consistent mistakes on easy plays. Today - a grounder is hit hard right at him, he hesitates, and can't turn a double-play. That's just basic, fundamentals baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think a better question might be is he a better SS than Jorge Mateo?

He is playing because he is on the 40 and they want a good look at him. If he doesn’t play well entirely possible he is let go in the offseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think a better question might be is he a better SS than Jorge Mateo?

I don’t think he is, but I like Mateo at 2B. I think it was JP who commented on Mateo having a strong arm after turning a DP, but his arm doesn’t look as good at SS.

Still, overall I’d say he’s more sure-handed than Martin in an admittedly SSS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure why he’s a better option than Mason McCoy, to be honest.   

Which begs the question as to the club's plan for McCoy. He's 26, and if not now, when? I understand they're looking at a lot of infielders, but there must be something McCoy's not doing to get a look at the ML level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Which begs the question as to the club's plan for McCoy. He's 26, and if not now, when? I understand they're looking at a lot of infielders, but there must be something McCoy's not doing to get a look at the ML level. 

He is OPSing in the .600's and while I haven't watched him play I don't recall anyone describing him as a plus defender. He may just not be good enough. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is OPSing in the .600's and while I haven't watched him play I don't recall anyone describing him as a plus defender. He may just not be good enough. 

Guess he's just a placeholder at Norfolk until Grenier and Westburg arrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin's done a fine job... of losing any chance he had of being the O's SS of the future - just too many mistakes for a player who doesn't hit well.  Honestly, I think he has the talent to be a low end starting SS, but for whatever reason, his concentration seems to wonder far too often.  I don't think the O's have ever considered McCoy as anything more than organizational depth.      

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Guess he's just a placeholder at Norfolk until Grenier and Westburg arrive.

McCoy is am org guy without a carrying tool that will allow him to be a successful major league regular. He's ok defensively at SS, but doesn't really have the athleticism, range and arm you would really want over there on a consistent basis. He's a below average hitter who would struggle with major league pitching. 

As for Martin, I agree with @eddie83 that the Orioles want to get a good long look at him in order to make a decision on the 40-man this offseason. Right now, I'm not sure he's a guy you keep on the 40-man if you need room. I don't see him ever being an everyday SS with his inconsistencies defensively and his lack of stick. I like Mateo's tools a lot more overall, but he suffers from some of the same things as Martin with defensive inconsistency and a questionable bat (though I like Matteo's bat more than Martin).

Personally I'd be playing Matteo at SS more often. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, Tony-OH said:

McCoy is am org guy without a carrying tool that will allow him to be a successful major league regular. He's ok defensively at SS, but doesn't really have the athleticism, range and arm you would really want over there on a consistent basis. He's a below average hitter who would struggle with major league pitching. 

As for Martin, I agree with @eddie83 that the Orioles want to get a good long look at him in order to make a decision on the 40-man this offseason. Right now, I'm not sure he's a guy you keep on the 40-man if you need room. I don't see him ever being an everyday SS with his inconsistencies defensively and his lack of stick. I like Mateo's tools a lot more overall, but he suffers from some of the same things as Martin with defensive inconsistency and a questionable bat (though I like Matteo's bat more than Martin).

Personally I'd be playing Matteo at SS more often. 

Mateo is one of the guys I am most excited to see for the rest of the season.  As I said in another thread, an infield of Jones, Mateo, Urias (and hopefully Bannon) will be one of the (very) few reasons to watch the team in September.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yardball85 said:

Mateo is one of the guys I am most excited to see for the rest of the season.  As I said in another thread, an infield of Jones, Mateo, Urias (and hopefully Bannon) will be one of the (very) few reasons to watch the team in September.

Sounds horrible defensively.   I’m not excited to see that at all.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sounds horrible defensively.   I’m not excited to see that at all.   

It was horrible defensively with Franco playing everyday.  May as well see what that group can do with the bats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

It was horrible defensively with Franco playing everyday.  May as well see what that group can do with the bats. 

I’m sold on Urias’ bat.  I think what we’ve seen from him is very consistent with his minor league and Mexican League track record.   

Mateo hasn’t sold me yet.  He’s had a nice start, and he’s blazing fast, but his MiL track record isn’t as good as Urias’s and long term I think he’ll struggle to post an OPS over .700.   

Jones I think falls in between those two offensively.   I think he’ll be inconsistent and maybe a .720ish OPS guy.   

I don’t think any of the three is good defensively.   I don’t think It’s going to be enjoyable to watch any 2B/SS combo involving the three of them.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think any of the three is good defensively.   I don’t think It’s going to be enjoyable to watch any 2B/SS combo involving the three of them.   

I think you’re right here. Although, from what I’ve read, Jones is by far the worst among them. 

I’m willing to give Mateo some more time as I don’t think it’s definitive that he’s below average. He’s been good at 2B, or at least better than he’s looked at SS. He doesn’t have the arm for short or third. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...