Jump to content
Frobby

Elementary, my dear Watson

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

I guess I look at his OBP and don't see a likely path to a major league contributor.  If you're 24 and can just barely get above .300 OBP in High A...

You're not wrong.  But again, he's a 3rd round pick.  Obviously you need to hit with those guys every now and again but most of them aren't going to be MLB players.  I guess I just see the word "disappointment", and ultimately - he's performing about what I would expect out of that spot.  He's shown a bit of pop and is holding his own.  Like I said earlier if Trimble and Rhodes are much better than that they will have been some pretty good picks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You're not wrong.  But again, he's a 3rd round pick.  Obviously you need to hit with those guys every now and again but most of them aren't going to be MLB players.  I guess I just see the word "disappointment", and ultimately - he's performing about what I would expect out of that spot.  He's shown a bit of pop and is holding his own.  Like I said earlier if Trimble and Rhodes are much better than that they will have been some pretty good picks.

i agree. I've seen much, much worse 3rd round picks come through the system. He's at least interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

You're not wrong.  But again, he's a 3rd round pick.  Obviously you need to hit with those guys every now and again but most of them aren't going to be MLB players.  I guess I just see the word "disappointment", and ultimately - he's performing about what I would expect out of that spot.  He's shown a bit of pop and is holding his own.  Like I said earlier if Trimble and Rhodes are much better than that they will have been some pretty good picks.

To continue the Hays comparison, Hays was a 3rd round pick as well. Although he was 21 in high A ball and hit 32 bombs. Safe to say that was a stellar 3rd round pick, even if he's been hit or miss at the big league level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, interloper said:

To continue the Hays comparison, Hays was a 3rd round pick as well. Although he was 21 in high A ball and hit 32 bombs. Safe to say that was a stellar 3rd round pick, even if he's been hit or miss at the big league level. 

For whatever reason, the O’s have done well in the 3rd round over the years.  Starting with Eddie Murray!    Zach Britton also was a 3rd rounder.   Also Chris Ray.  All in all 21 3rd rounders signed by the O’s have played in the majors.   

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

i agree. I've seen much, much worse 3rd round picks come through the system. He's at least interesting.

Certainly, the O’s have made worse picks using their #1 pick than they did with their 3rd for Watson but I think our bar needs to be higher if we are to be a successful organization.  If Trimble and Rhodes aren’t a lot better than Watson, we are in big trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Certainly, the O’s have made worse picks using their #1 pick than they did with their 3rd for Watson but I think our bar needs to be higher if we are to be a successful organization.  If Trimble and Rhodes aren’t a lot better than Watson, we are in big trouble.

We’re in big trouble if the success of a 3rd and 4th round pick in a single draft dictate if we’re in big trouble.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, survivedc said:

We’re in big trouble if the success of a 3rd and 4th round pick in a single draft dictate if we’re in big trouble.

Agreed.  You can revisit the waling and gnashing of teeth in the 2021 draft thread.  Until our Latin American prospects start to show promise and we start buying some FA's other than the Franco's and Galvis' of the world, the draft is that much more important to our success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Agreed.  You can revisit the waling and gnashing of teeth in the 2021 draft thread.  Until our Latin American prospects start to show promise and we start buying some FA's other than the Franco's and Galvis' of the world, the draft is that much more important to our success.

This probably deserves its own "the status of our rebuild" thread, but I couldn't agree more. It argues to me that we're still a couple of years away from having the minor league system that we want.

The more I think about it, the more I think Elias should finally sign legit stop gap guys this offseason at pitcher and in the infield. I don't want to rush Henderson in particular and any international cavalry is probably 4+ years away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Certainly, the O’s have made worse picks using their #1 pick than they did with their 3rd for Watson but I think our bar needs to be higher if we are to be a successful organization.  If Trimble and Rhodes aren’t a lot better than Watson, we are in big trouble.

I think you over estimate the chances of finding a quality big league player in the 3rd round. As Frobby has pointed out, the Orioles have actually been pretty decent over the years in the 3rd round, and yes, I'm sure the team would like more than a 4th outfielder with all of their picks, but it's not going to happen. 

You get a guy like Watson with some pop and speed in the 3rd round and you see if your development guys can get him to be a better hitter. I don't have a problem with the pick when I look at the tool set Watson carries. Even though he was a senior sign guy and 24 now, he still has time to improve.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think you over estimate the chances of finding a quality big league player in the 3rd round. As Frobby has pointed out, the Orioles have actually been pretty decent over the years in the 3rd round, and yes, I'm sure the team would like more than a 4th outfielder with all of their picks, but it's not going to happen. 

You get a guy like Watson with some pop and speed in the 3rd round and you see if your development guys can get him to be a better hitter. I don't have a problem with the pick when I look at the tool set Watson carries. Even though he was a senior sign guy and 24 now, he still has time to improve.

I recognize that.  I think the point I was making has been lost.  If Trimble and Rhodes are not much better than Watson, a college draft pick whose combined OBP over 2 seasons in the low minors is sub .300, it will very disappointing and a set back to the O's.  We need those guys to be good to show that Elias' scouting and minor league system is legitimate and because we haven't seen any indication we're signing bigtime FA's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Yeah, so I’ve held off telling the story about my interaction w/ Jones, but he’s no longer an Oriole, so.... I posted years ago about a hitting clinic he held at SDSU w/ Harold Reynolds. It was a fun time for me and my daughters taking a road trip from Los Angeles.  After the clinic was over we, of course, went to see about getting something signed or a picture. We waited patiently as he signed for a number of people and then I approached him to get a picture of him and my girls. He started to lineup to do so and then balked at the idea, saying it would take too much time, at which the expressions of my kids faces visibly dropped. Disappointing to say the least, but I explained it away with some such fatherly bs.  I never mentioned it in the thread about our trip because I knew there would likely be disbelief or outright anger for me calling out an Oriole player, especially Jones. After all these years, it wasn't a huge deal, but yes, I lost respect for him. As far as I know, Palmer has always been great with not only fans, but going out of his way to be available for them. There’s also no one else I’d rather listen to call a game than Jim Palmer. His stories are part of that.
    • Well Machado should’ve been dealt the offseason before but somehow we were still going for it with a team that actually won 47 games. The only thing bad I could say about what DD did in the Machado trade, is that he should’ve gotten more A ball players versus trying to get players that were closer to being ready. However, The Dodgers had just spent $50+ million on Diaz, Pop was 20, and Kremer was leading all of milb in SO. 
    • Unless the CBA changes there is zero incentive to call up AR before June 1. It’s not like another 60 days of “bad” PR is going to hurt this franchise any more. 
    • Oh, absolutely.   The O’s were leading the division by six games when this news broke.   It stung pretty badly to lose Manny in that situation.   As it turns out, the team played well without him for the rest of the regular season.   But we’ll always wonder if he could have made a difference in that KC series, if he’d managed to rehab and return to the field.     Some posters faulted him for not acceding to the team’s wishes.   Not me though.  
    • Win 3 Cy Youngs, 3 World Series and a WS game in 3 decades and you can be as arrogant as you want.   Palmer rules.
    • So trade our best performing position player in order to get prospects that don’t usually pan out… i.e Machado deal  Pass 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...