Jump to content
waynebug

Our old friend Jake Arrieta's has been waived by the Cubs

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought Buck was a terrific manager overall, but he had a blind spot when it came to young pitchers and his choices of pitching coaches were spotty.   The irony is, when Buck arrived in August 2010 the pitching had been very bad all year and then turned on a dime the minute Buck arrived.  Matusz was actually unbelievably good during that stretch, along with several other of the younger pitchers.  IMO Buck made a big mistake not sticking with what was working, and replacing Kranitz with Connor and then Adair.   I’ve always felt the TTTP issue was overblown as a cause of the pitchers’ problems, but it certainly didn’t help.   

Buck was nowhere close to being a terrific manager.  He did a crappy job with the bullpen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Greenpastures23 said:

Buck was nowhere close to being a terrific manager.  He did a crappy job with the bullpen

You are out of your mind.  We had fantastic results with our bullpen during the whole 2012-16 run.   That’s well-documented.   Here’s a link showing how the O’s bullpen ranked in those years.  https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Buck was nowhere close to being a terrific manager.  He did a crappy job with the bullpen

The 2012 Orioles' bullpen was over +13 in WPA, highest in MLB history up to that date.  Meaning it was the most effectively leveraged bullpen in history through 2012.  It would be pretty accurate to say the entire reason the '12 Orioles won 93 games and made the postseason for the first time in 15 years instead of winning 80 being forgotten was the pen and how Buck managed it.

But yea, Buck was terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are out of your mind.  We had fantastic results with our bullpen during the whole 2012-16 run.   That’s well-documented.   Here’s a link showing how the O’s bullpen ranked in those years.  https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

 

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 2012 Orioles' bullpen was over +13 in WPA, highest in MLB history up to that date.  Meaning it was the most effectively leveraged bullpen in history through 2012.  It would be pretty accurate to say the entire reason the '12 Orioles won 93 games and made the postseason for the first time in 15 years instead of winning 80 being forgotten was the pen and how Buck managed it.

But yea, Buck was terrible.

I'm assuming he's clinging onto that whole pesky "he didn't bring Britton in" moment.  

(It's also always a good day when Frobby gets indignant and says things like "You are out of your mind," which is about as close to he ever gets to being fully tilted)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The 2012 Orioles' bullpen was over +13 in WPA, highest in MLB history up to that date.  Meaning it was the most effectively leveraged bullpen in history through 2012.  It would be pretty accurate to say the entire reason the '12 Orioles won 93 games and made the postseason for the first time in 15 years instead of winning 80 being forgotten was the pen and how Buck managed it.

But yea, Buck was terrible.

The Britton debacle not withstanding, Buck was about a good a manger of a bullpen I've ever seen watching baseball the last 35+ years. And Buck would likely have a better handle on this this year's bullpen over Hyde. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm assuming he's clinging onto that whole pesky "he didn't bring Britton in" moment.  

(It's also always a good day when Frobby gets indignant and says things like "You are out of your mind," which is about as close to he ever gets to being fully tilted)

Well, it wasn't his best moment.  🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Britton debacle not withstanding, Buck was about a good a manger of a bullpen I've ever seen watching baseball the last 35+ years. And Buck would likely have a better handle on this this year's bullpen over Hyde. 

Houdini couldn't do magic with this bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...