Sports Guy

MLB Pipeline top 100

Cowser‘s debut is magnificent. Talk about a smart, smart pick. Kjerstad’s health woes are an outlier and definitely something that happened after he was drafted. To think something like heart inflammation wouldn’t be caught with how rigorous physicals are is just not something I’m willing to believe. Covid or treatment to prevent Covid likely caused his career to be sidelined. No way for Elias to know that would happen. Still though, notice how people like Austin Martin aren’t on the list at all?

Edited by Explosivo
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Cowser‘s debut is magnificent. Talk about a smart, smart pick. Kjerstad’s health woes are an outlier and definitely something that happened after he was drafted. To think something like heart inflammation wouldn’t be caught with how rigorous physicals are is just not something I’m willing to believe. Covid or treatment to prevent Covid likely caused his career to be sidelined. No way for Elias to know that would happen. Still though, notice how people like Austin Martin aren’t on the list at all?

Martin is 38 but I THink will continue to drop

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

5 in the top 100. Kjerstad dropped out. If we would’ve went in different directions the last two draft we could’ve have 4 guys in the top 30. 

I don’t remember anyone pining for Detmers but I could be wrong. 7 teams passed on him after the O’s.

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Surprised Coby Mayo did not get ranked higher with his nice start in the team top 30.

The Team top 3 is always jacked up. Mayo is certainly top 10 and from their you can argue he could be as high as #5. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Team top 3 is always jacked up. Mayo is certainly top 10 and from their you can argue he could be as high as #5. 

I'm fine with them not upending all the work they have done over a few weeks of games.  He's got plenty of time to move up in the rankings if this level of play continues.

4 hours ago, Explosivo said:

We can’t change anything but we passed on,

2021: Lawler(#13), Watson (#28)

2020: Martin(#38), Veen(#55), Lacy(#72), and Gonzalez(#68)

We can’t change anything now. I’m going to root for the guys we have. But all six of those guys were rumored to be in the mix and we took players that were/are rated lower.

I like the Cowser pick, but with the slot money we left on the table if we used the full availability(105%), it’s basically Lawler vs Cowser + Creed Willems.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We can’t change anything but we passed on,

2021: Lawler(#13), Watson (#28)

2020: Martin(#38), Veen(#55), Lacy(#72), and Gonzalez(#68)

We can’t change anything now. I’m going to root for the guys we have. But all six of those guys were rumored to be in the mix and we took players that were/are rated lower.

I like the Cowser pick, but with the slot money we left on the table if we used the full availability(105%), it’s basically Lawler vs Cowser + Creed Willems.  

I’ll never understand why people take these rankings as gospel. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone does.  It is just a point of reference for most of us.

Maybe it’s just my interpretation of the tone of the post I quoted. It just came across as defeatist that BA has rated Watkins and Lawlar ahead of Cowser

24 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’ll never understand why people take these rankings as gospel. 

I’m not going to complain too much. We do have the highest rated position player in pitcher in all of the MILB. I’m fact see this article on the front page of the milb.com

https://www.milb.com/news/midseason-prospect-rankings-include-new-faces-in-new-places

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Maybe it’s just my interpretation of the tone of the post I quoted. It just came across as defeatist that BA has rated Watkins and Lawlar ahead of Cowser

It’s not defeatist over one top 100 list. Publications and pre draft lists aren’t always right. See GrayRod vs Liberatore. However, that was a DD regime pick. 

All I’m pointing out is,

2021: Cowser + Creed Willems over Lawler or Watson

2020: Kjerstad + Mayo + Baumler over Martin or Lacy

We’ve done nothing but lose, and resemble an expansion team at the MLB level. So I think in year 3, it’s fair to question Elias just a bit. Especially when Elias has gone against the consensus picks in 2/3 drafts and doesn’t draft pitching at all. Fair to criticize. 

• Upvote 1