Mooreisbetter27

Elias talks to the media 8-20-21

Well, he's not going to come out and say "We were supposed to be better than this, and i am disappointed my 2nd overall pick last year hasn't seen a baseball diamond in 18 months, and my pitching pick ups have been terrible, and I wish we had seen progress out of more than 3 players on the MLB roster."

We knew we could lose is never acceptable. Even if you are the worst team in the league you should see progress out of more of the major league roster than 3 players.

Absolute embarassment.

I dont see how people think this is the system thats going to yield positive results.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

This was the best news out of it all. The rest we all kinda knew already

I hate to be negative, but I thought Elias did classic GM non-news on Kjerstad.  Hopefully... he'll be ready to do what in Spring Training?  

16 hours ago, Pushmonkey said:

This was the best news out of it all. The rest we all kinda knew already

The best news for me was that they are talking about promoting Grayson to AAA this season.   I was beginning to think that was not in the plan.

• Upvote 1

The Kjerstad comment was the only meaningful thing he said.  Grod was kind of surprising too for being with us next year.

- Of course we will see AR after June 1st.

- It’s looking like it could be the same for Grod.

- Of course you cannot form a rotation of waiver wire acquisitions and one vet make 1mm. 

I will be over the moon if next June we have… AR and Grod in Baltimore, Elijah Greene drafted, D.L. Hall healthy, and Kjerstad playing actual games with some affiliate. 

Bottomline is… we can still tank next year , but develop a lineup and bullpen. The starting rotation will guarantee us a top 5 pick. Even with a few months of Grod. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

Did we?

Seems like they first time he has specifically stated that they will definitely spend more next year.  (The statement about how you can't have a rotation where the highest paid player makes a million)?

When Elias talked about the O's not doing things the way they use to do them.  And linking that to how they have to do things differently to compete with the big boys.   That made think that he may follow the Tampa model andMancini is liked to be traded over the winter. Santander is also headed in that direction to free up money to add a starter, 3B and SS.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

When Elias talked about the O's not doing things the way they use to do them.  And linking that to how they have to do things differently to compete with the big boys.   That made think that he may follow the Tampa model andMancini is liked to be traded over the winter. Santander is also headed in that direction to free up money to add a starter, 3B and SS.

Not that I dont like Mancini, but I do hope he and Santander are gone this winter.  Stewart, Mountcastle and AR can take care of 1B/DH and there is plenty of depth in the OF that Santander doesnt need to be here any more.  Some combo of Mullins/Hays/Mateo/McKenna/Diaz? should work ok for next year.   

5 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Not that I dont like Mancini, but I do hope he and Santander are gone this winter.  Stewart, Mountcastle and AR can take care of 1B/DH and there is plenty of depth in the OF that Santander doesnt need to be here any more.  Some combo of Mullins/Hays/Mateo/McKenna/Diaz? should work ok for next year.   

I doubt Stewart makes it through the winter with the O's.    Mullins, McKenna, Hays and Neustrom are likely in the outfield IMO.   I think Mateo should be most an infielder but could fill in at the OF occasionally.

• Upvote 2

We should shop Mancini, but I don't see the point in trading Santander this winter.  He is having a bad season, due in part to injuries.   Might as well see if he can return to his 2019-2020 form next season before trying to trade him. 

Agree that D.J. Stewart is likely to be released/non-tendered this offseason.  

Rutschman should be called up early next season, as soon as the season reaches the "extra year of team control" threshold.  GRod may take longer, depending on how he looks at AAA once he's promoted.  Hopefully he won't be a victim of the dreaded "seam adjustment".  

On 8/20/2021 at 4:23 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Here come the posters that have nothing better to do than to complain about other posters...yadda yadda yadda.

Here come the posters that complain about posters that have nothing better to do than to complain about other posters...yadda yadda yadda.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• There used to be a good record shop at Fell's Point, but it's been a long time since I was in there. I live in NC, so I'm not always record shopping when I'm in town. I did find a great book on the band Big Star while in there once. 
    • Recent NBA picks don't matter that much to an incoming coach.  They're attributed to the coach that they worked under, not the school IMO.   Texas Tech... their athletic budget is 2/3 of Maryland's and theyre in the red according to publicly available data.  Compare that to Maryland, 5 million in the black. They cannot outbid Maryland and don't have as many built in recruiting advantages.  And they've already proven that they can't necessarily keep a successful coach, or replace said departure with a splashy hire.   FSU... ehh.  It's a football school, they have older facilities, a $30 million deficit in the athletic department, and if Hamilton leaves/retires I really don't think they're beating Maryland for a job.  I 100% agree that they have been more successful recently.  But no championships, and their only f4 was in the 70s.  Not exactly a powerhouse history.   And as I said, other analysts like Jeff Goodman, Rob dauster, John Fanta, Matt Norlander have gone on record saying his is anywhere from a top-15 to top-25 HC position.  And those guys are not affiliated with Maryland.   Edit to add:  how many years of suck does it take for a school to drop off the face of the earth?  Indiana and UCLA haven't, and Indiana especially has been a hot mess for God knows how long.  The potential matters a lot. And I agree that Maryland fans are a bit delusional at times, but that (possibly delusional) expectation of greatness is also part of what drives the potential of the school.  And that potential is proven, not hypothetical.
    • Now is a good time to start this discussion. Heading into this season, what players have value or the potential to create trade value? It's obvious we probably have another year or two of selling a couple pieces. Below is my best guess as to who Elias would be willing to move for the right price. Cedric Mullins - Has a high price tag obviously. However, we know this year is a wash competitively, could be better next year, but most likely not play off bound. That would leave Mullins here for 24 and 25 to realistically compete for the playoffs. If we can get back multiple pieces in a trade now that could help us compete by that time AND can be controlled several years beyond, it's worth listening. Will he cheaper in the meantime as you avoid Mullins arbitration years. Good sell high candidate too John Means - Same as above. Plus Means is a bit older, probably at peak value especially if he had a good start to 2022. If you had a solid return on both Means and Mullins, it could infuse the upcoming wave of talent that could make us competitive for years Trey Mancini - Best case scenario, he looks like 2019 Trey and we swing him at the deadline for a solid prospect or 2.  If he plays like he did last year, you might get a Andrew Cashner type return Austin Hays - He's currently not on the block, nor should he be, but by chance he has a blow up season like Mullins did last year, then he would share the same circumstances in regards to service time as Mullins. We'll see if we cross that bridge Cole Sulser - He was good last year. He's controllable but a tad older than the Youth movement coming, so probably reaching peak value this year Anthony Santander- Already on 4th service year. Has shown flashes of what he could be. If he stays healthy and breaks out, he could fetch a really good return. This would be the year of peak value IF he performs. Tanner Scott - Seems to always be on the cusp of a break out. If he can harness the fb and slider a little more, some will want the LHP at the deadline Paul Fry- Depends on which Paul Fry shows up to camp. He could have been traded last year but Elias didn't like the return. He'll probably take it this year Dillon Tate - No rush to trade, but saw his name come up last year. Needs to get better, and if he does, he might be worth trading as he has similar arbitration status as Mullins and Hays Roughned Odor - If by chance he figures it out and hits a bunch of fingers, he'd be a trade deadline guy, but that was our hope for Maikel Franco Jordan Lyles- Apparently there's a pretty strong market for 5.00 era innings eaters. Another potential trade deadline guy, ala Cashner  Jorge Lopez - They paid a decent penny to bring back the inconsistent starter. If he thrives in a relief role, now would be a good time to trade the soon to be 29 year old in his fourth year of service  DJ Stewart - It's a now or never year for Stewart. He probably has a better chance of getting cut than traded as it stands.  Seems to have the OBP tool, has to hit now. If he can be an .800 OPS OF/DH, he essentially becomes a poor man's Kyle Schwarber. At 28, he'd be a peak value should he perform.          
    • Well, agree to disagree.  
    • The ACC that everyone loved is dead.  The old 9 team conference with true round-robin died long before Maryland left.  The ACC thought so much of Maryland that they decided Pitt was going to be its natural rival and wasn't going to ensure any annual home and homes with UNC, Duke, State, UVA, etc..  It was the last straw from a conference that never cared about Maryland. The move to the Big Ten has been great from an academic sense (look at the expansion of the engineering program), and the basketball has been fine (I'd argue that the BIG 10 has been deeper consistently than the ACC since Maryland left).    
    • I can't be the only one that thinks 6-9 is a black hole
    • Those 3 things do matter…but MD is the destination of those local kids.  Recruiting is so different now, especially with the power of social media.     There are tons of attractive urban areas, so that really isn’t much of a factor overall.  It may help vs some Midwest school in podunk but up against a lot of the power 5 teams, not as much. Lots of schools have top notch facilities.   I mean, look at their recruiting rankings. They have had 1 top 10 Class in the last decade.  They had more classes ranked outside the top 35 than inside the top 20.     Had you asked me 5+ years ago, I would have agreed it was a top 25 job.  It’s just not the case anymore.  
  • Popular Contributors