Sign in to follow this  
33rdst

Macphail XM's Holden and Billy Show....

Signing one or both of them isn't going to make the team a winner in 2008. .

I disagree .

Adding Tex and Burnett would make us a winning team. I even think the Win Shares prove that .

Now if you want to start talking Wild Card ...then we are going to have to also add a SS but I someone that won't hurt payroll would be Renteria and he is better than anything we had last year.

Edited by helloharv

I disagree .

Adding Tex and would make us a winning team. I even think the Win Shares prove that .

Now if you want to start talking Wild Card ...then we are going to have to also add a SS but I someone that won't hurt payroll would be Renteria and he is better than anything we had last year.

Tex is not a 13 win improvement over Millar...However, he is a 6-7 win improvement over him and if other guys step up their game and just play to even an average level, we would be a winning team IMO.

I'm not sure what these stats mean. Why do they only go through 2003? Detroit took a risk last year and traded much of their youth for two potential A type players. The deal was hailed throughout baseball. It didn't work out last year. It happens. But that shouldn't preclude a team from trying.

I didn't hail it!

;)

All I am saying is that your best bet is to put up with losing at the ML level until you get your system in order. When I say "in order," I mean strong and deep on the pitching side of the ledger. We are getting there, we really are... but I don't believe we're at the point where a couple guys (even if they are Teixeira and Burnett) are going to put us immediately over the edge into perennial contender status. If this was 2011 and Arrieta, Tillman and Matusz were all either up and contributing or knocking on the door backed up by guys like Bundy, Britton, and whoever we have yet to draft... then I'd feel better about it.

Can Teixeira help us at that point? Of course he can... which is why I would give him a long term deal if he'd take it from us.

I guess the question is can Burnett be a part of our next playoff team? Are we going to be competitive between now and then with Burnett? I doubt it.

Andy MacPhail is doing this the right way, IMO. It just hasn't really been DONE the right way for the past 10 years, so of course it's going to take awhile.

Can Teixeira help us at that point? Of course he can... which is why I would give him a long term deal if he'd take it from us.

I guess the question is can Burnett be a part of our next playoff team? Are we going to be competitive between now and then with Burnett? I doubt it.

Burnett obviously could be a part of our next playoff team. Its not going to take us over 5 years to get competitive.

The question is really will Burnett be worth the money he's making on our next playoff team? If not, how much will he be worth then, and is the advantage of having him around in the interim worth the difference?

I think if he signs for 5/$65M or less, that he'd be worth the investment. More than that, and I walk away.

You have to ask the same questions with Tex.

Burnett obviously could be a part of our next playoff team. Its not going to take us over 5 years to get competitive.

The question is really will Burnett be worth the money he's making on our next playoff team? If not, how much will he be worth then, and is the advantage of having him around in the interim worth the difference?

I think if he signs for 5/$65M or less, that he'd be worth the investment. More than that, and I walk away.

You have to ask the same questions with Tex.

Right, I guess this is more what I was trying to get at.

I don't believe Burnett is going to age gracefully.

Tex is not a 13 win improvement over Millar...However, he is a 6-7 win improvement over him and if other guys step up their game and just play to even an average level, we would be a winning team IMO.

We are not going to be a winning team until our pitching is quite a bit better than it has been the last few years. Getting Tex is not going to change that. I have almost no doubt that if all we did this winter was add Tex and a competent shortstop, we still wouldn't be a .500+ team because of the pitching.

Now, by 2010 that might begin to change if we have good fortune with some of the pitchers now in the minors and maybe even a few who have cracked the majors already but who haven't yet had consistent success. But I'd like to get a couple of competent starters in here now to make things tolerable in the meantime and provide some margin for error if some of our younger guys either don't pan out or are slower to develop than we'd hoped.

Signing AJ also gives us the luxury of allowing some of our young pitching more time to develop - which should increase their chances of reaching their ceiling(s).