MijiT88

Mountcastle talk

I know its becasue we are just the worst team but it really is a shame that Mountcastle doesn't get any ROY looks from the major outlets. He is quietly putting up a stellar year and going to break some oriole rookie records at this pace. I would love to see him get more media love

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

He's having a terrific August.  Before this month, his numbers weren't as impressive.

That gave the major outlets a chance to get focused on other ROY candidates who got off to better starts and who were playing for better teams.

If he plays as well in September as he has in August, his numbers are probably going to match up well with anybody's, but it may be too late for him to get serious consideration when the voting for the award takes place.

28 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

I know its becasue we are just the worst team but it really is a shame that Mountcastle doesn't get any ROY looks from the major outlets. He is quietly putting up a stellar year and going to break some oriole rookie records at this pace. I would love to see him get more media love

You must be new here.  If he were a Yankee, you would hear about him till you were sick to your stomach.      

2 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

You must be new here.  If he were a Yankee, you would hear about him till you were sick to your stomach.      

Or on the Red Sox especially being a right handed batter with the green monster in left field at Fenway. 

What's hurting Mountcastle the most at not winning ROY is he's a DH/1B type with little defensive value. 

There was an article on Fangraphs today called “10 Performances You Haven’t Noticed.”   Mountcastle is the second one mentioned:

Ryan Mountcastle had some buzz this spring as a potential breakout, but he was on many waiver wires by the end of May thanks to a .226/.255/.373 line with 5 HR in 188 PA. He has completely turned his season around, though. Since June 1st, he has been one of the hottest hitters in the league thanks to a .300/.358/.600 line with 20 HR (tied for 6th-most). He has a great shot at 30 HR this year and the 24-year-old joins Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander, and Trey Mancini atop the Orioles lineup as they start to put something together for the future.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/10-performances-you-havent-noticed-vol-2/

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Or on the Red Sox especially being a right handed batter with the green monster in left field at Fenway. 

What's hurting Mountcastle the most at not winning ROY is he's a DH/1B type with little defensive value. 

And he was miserable in the field and at the bat early in the season.

10 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

This is the point I am getting at here, its annoying that he gets no mention anywhere. Even as I just read, the MLB.com article for August All-Stars...Alverez gets the DH spot with Mountcastles numbers making his month look mediocre. I just wish the kid would get some acknowledgment.

So Mountcastle should be traded in the off-season, right? His trade value is up, and he'll be under team control for only 2-3 years after the Orioles can expect to be good (even though nobody will say when that is). Cash him in for a few prospects who may or may not be major league-caliber, but if they are their team-control clocks won't start running for a couple of more years.

😏

10 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So Mountcastle should be traded in the off-season, right? His trade value is up, and he'll be under team control for only 2-3 years after the Orioles can expect to be good (even though nobody will say when that is). Cash him in for a few prospects who may or may not be major league-caliber, but if they are their team-control clocks won't start running for a couple of more years.

😏

Actually yes.

8 hours ago, Philip said:
Photo of Adolis García

Adolis García

Position: Outfielder

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-1205lb (185cm, 92kg) 

Team: Texas Rangers (majors)

More bio, uniform, draft, salary info
+1
SUMMARY

Career

WAR

AB

H

You think Garcia is having a better rookie year because of WAR?  He's been trending down since the all star game. Mountcastle going to finish his rookie year with 30+ hr and 90 rbi.  If he played in NY ,he definitely would be the rookie of the year.

That cut/paste was garbled, and I wasn’t able to paste everything accurately. However the difference between WAR is significant and yes.”

Garcia has 29 home runs and 117 hits.

Mountcastle has 25 and 113, but in 40 fewer ABs. Garcia is hitting a bit better, but he’s a better all-round player

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

That cut/paste was garbled, and I wasn’t able to paste everything accurately. However the difference between WAR is significant and yes.”

Garcia has 29 home runs and 117 hits.

Mountcastle has 25 and 113, but in 40 fewer ABs. Garcia is hitting a bit better, but he’s a better all-round player

I think it's close, but Garcia playing mostly CF this season gives him the advantage.  Mountcastle's actually passed Garcia in OPS and OPS+, so I'd give him a small advantage on offense.  Mountcastle's really improved defensively, but he started out poorly on defense.  I'd rather have Mountcastle, but Garcia overall has had a little better rookie year.