Jump to content
Daddy-O's

100% of the shots you don't take

Recommended Posts

Was anyone else frustrated that Mancini did not try to score on the flyball to right.  I get not attempting on the single to center, no outs had to make sure it wasn't caught.  I know the fly ball was not deep but that was the second out and a below average hitter due up and the Yankees start their at bat with a runner on 2nd. Failing this attempt was not going to ruin their playoff hopes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Was anyone else frustrated that Mancini did not try to score on the flyball to right.  I get not attempting on the single to center, no outs had to make sure it wasn't caught.  I know the fly ball was not deep but that was the second out and a below average hitter due up and the Yankees start their at bat with a runner on 2nd. Failing this attempt was not going to ruin their playoff hopes.  

I was, a little bit.  If Judge had been in RF I wouldn’t have tried it, but Stanton isn’t a particularly good OF and hasn’t played there much this year.   And, you have to consider that the next batter up is hitting .159.    It’s not like we had one of the better hitters coming up, and we were out of position players on the bench to pinch hit.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I was, a little bit.  If Judge had been in RF I wouldn’t have tried it, but Stanton isn’t a particularly good OF and hasn’t played there much this year.   And, you have to consider that the next batter up is hitting .159.    It’s not like we had one of the better hitters coming up, and we were out of position players on the bench to pinch hit.  

I thought Davis retired.  I would say that is a 3B coaching decision and not Mancini.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I thought Davis retired.  I would say that is a 3B coaching decision and not Mancini.  

I agree it was a coaching decision, and I think it highlights a lack of aggressiveness from the coaching staff.  I understand we are undermanned in the talent department, but we do not have to be overmatched in the desire department.  I thought the throw from center in the bottom of the inning also lacked urgency.  There is nothing to lose at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I agree it was a coaching decision, and I think it highlights a lack of aggressiveness from the coaching staff.  I understand we are undermanned in the talent department, but we do not have to be overmatched in the desire department.  I thought the throw from center in the bottom of the inning also lacked urgency.  There is nothing to lose at this point.

Kind of hard when you know there is no chance of throwing him out.  Mullins has played enough baseball in his life to know when a runner is past X, he cant throw the ball hard enough to beat him home from Y on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The throw from Mullins illustrates his one weakness, which is that he doesn’t have a very good arm. The throw also wasn’t very accurate.

Regarding Mancini, if the throw had been accurate he would’ve been out, and Mancini doesn’t run well. So I understand the impulse to remain at third. However even at the time I wanted him to go, especially after Stanton fumbled the ball, simply because of an awareness that Tate was going to falter in the next half inning.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was actually more annoyed with Hyde’s decision to pitch to Stanton with 1B open. The only run that matters is at 2B, so why not walk Stanton? You get a force at any base and maybe a chance at a DP. Really just a terrible decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Daddy-O's said:

I agree it was a coaching decision, and I think it highlights a lack of aggressiveness from the coaching staff.  I understand we are undermanned in the talent department, but we do not have to be overmatched in the desire department.  I thought the throw from center in the bottom of the inning also lacked urgency.  There is nothing to lose at this point.

Yeah there is. We could lose the #1 pick in the next MLB draft to the Diamondbacks.

I know you're making a totally different point about effort and winning habits. But I'm not all that worried about a losing play that very well may have helped us get the top pick in the draft next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Mateo hit his homerun and Stewart pinch hit for Jones, if Stewart got on who was going to hit for Wynns? If Stewart got on you couldn't let Wynns bat, or was it all or nothing, Stewart hits a homer? Seemed like a strange move, why not let Jones bat and hit Stewart for Wynns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2021 at 10:36 AM, Philip said:

The throw from Mullins illustrates his one weakness, which is that he doesn’t have a very good arm. The throw also wasn’t very accurate.

Regarding Mancini, if the throw had been accurate he would’ve been out, and Mancini doesn’t run well. So I understand the impulse to remain at third. However even at the time I wanted him to go, especially after Stanton fumbled the ball, simply because of an awareness that Tate was going to falter in the next half inning.

 

Pitchers go through off-season training to increase fastball velocity. Sometimes they do gain velocity between seasons. That doesn't mean that the training program is responsible for the velocity gain; maybe it happened for other reasons. There appear to be quite a few baseball insiders, however, who believe this kind of training can be effective.

Can position players with weak throwing arms --OFers like Mullins or IFers like Mountcastle when he played 3B or like Jones. apparently -- undergo the same or similar training programs to increase the velocity and distance (which is primarily a function of velocity and trajectory) of their throws? Are there reasons that this sort of training can't work for or is problematic for position players, like the possibility of interfering with their batting strokes? Do some position players do this stuff, and I've just not heard about it?

I've asked this question before, but never seen an answer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Pitchers go through off-season training to increase fastball velocity. Sometimes they do gain velocity between seasons. That doesn't mean that the training program is responsible for the velocity gain; maybe it happened for other reasons. There appear to be quite a few baseball insiders, however, who believe this kind of training can be effective.

Can position players with weak throwing arms --OFers like Mullins or IFers like Mountcastle when he played 3B or like Jones. apparently -- undergo the same or similar training programs to increase the velocity and distance (which is primarily a function of velocity and trajectory) of their throws? Are there reasons that this sort of training can't work for or is problematic for position players, like the possibility of interfering with their batting strokes? Do some position players do this stuff, and I've just not heard about it?

I've asked this question before, but never seen an answer.

 

Of course programs exist for both optimizing throwing mechanics and building arm strength for position players.

But considering the players are in the majors, I would think they have already availed themselves of resources of this kind.    The team should already be providing this type of service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But considering the players are in the majors, I would think they have already availed themselves of resources of this kind.    The team should already be providing this type of service.

Last off season Means, Harvey, and Zimmerman went to performance clinics. Is that something the team can pay for? I thought they did it on their own. After this season I would think Akin, Kremer, Lowther would consider going as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • A better order Better bring in a haul - Mullins, Hays, Means Some To little value; could gain much more value w/ good start to 2022 - Santander, Mancini, Sulser, Scott, Tate, Lyles Currently no value, but bc of age, service time, and/or potential to reach peak value, IF they were to perform WOULD have trade value - Fry, Lopez, Odor, Stewart    
    • I was shocked at first but did some research on the current market, and  1 year 7 million is spot on for Lyles to the O's
    • They have no current value, but this thread discusses potential to build value as well.
    • There was no real order
    • I do not want Green.  Just way too many strike outs, too many holes in the swing for me to be comfortable with.   
    • September/October2021 -- finally getting around to this. 11-20 record 6-14 vs. AL East 8-10 at home 3-10 on the road 5-7 in one-run games 1-4 in extra innings Batting 3.90 runs/game was 14th in the AL .237 BA was 12th .308 OBP was 10th .391 SLG was 12th .699 OPS was 12th 1.19 HR/G was 7th .225/.314/.398 with RISP (274 PA, 236 AB, 53 H, 94 TB, 86 TOB) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.97 RA/G was last 1.77 HR/G was last 5.05 starter ERA was 12th 4.37 IP/start was 12th 6.63 bullpen ERA was last 7 saves was tied for 8th 17 save opportunities  10 blown saves  Defense 10 unearned runs was tied for 10th fewest in the AL 0.42 errors/game (13 errors) -0.7 fangraphs defense 1.3 UZR (+ 3.3 OF, +2.0 IF) -1 Rtot -3 Rdrs 0 OAA Cumulative through September/October 2021 Batting 4.07 runs/game was 14th in the AL .239 BA was 10th .304 OBP was 12th .402 SLG was 11th .705 OPS was 12th 1.20 HR/G was 10th .232/.311/.353 with RISP (1437 PA,  1241 AB, 288 H, 438 TB, 445 TOB)(.664 OPS with RISP was last in the AL) Pitching 5.84 ERA was last in the AL 5.90 RA/G was last 1.59 HR/G was last 5.99 starter ERA was last 4.54 IP/start was last 5.70 bullpen ERA was last  26 saves was last 54 save opportunities was 13th 28 blown saves was tied for 2nd most Defense 46 unearned runs was fewest in the AL  0.46 errors/game (74 errors) was 3rd fewest 0.1 fangraphs defense was 8th in AL -3.9 UZR was 10th  (-4.4 OF, +0.5 IF) -46 Rtot was 14th - 30 Rdrs was 12th -16 OAA Conclusion:  The offense was pretty much its usual well below average self in September/October, and while the hitting with RISP was a little better than it was on the season as a whole (.712 OPS vs. .664), somehow the team still was 14th in runs per game despite doing better than that in BA, OBP, SLG and OPS (all in the 10th-12th range).   Not epically bad, just regular bad.   The starting pitching also was only regular bad, and better than its usual epically awful, posting a 5.05 ERA in September/October compared to 5.99 on the season.   But the bullpen really carried the team to the no. 1 draft pick, posting a 6.63 ERA for the month and blowing 10 of 17 save opportunities.   Think about that -- 17 save opportunities in one month is a lot!   But the pen blew more than half of them.   The pen was epically bad this season, and even more horrible in September/October.   Finally, the defense was sort of middling in the final month, both by standard and advanced metrics.   It's interesting that on the year, the O's allowed the fewest unearned runs of any team in the league, and the 3rd fewest errors, and yet, Rdrs had them at -46 runs, Rtot said -30, and OAA said -16.    All in all, there's a ton of work to do in all areas for 2022.   The pitching in particular just has to get better.   And I think it will, because it pretty much cannot get worse, either for the starters (5.99 ERA for the year while covering only 4.54 IP per start) or the bullpen (5.70 ERA and a 48% save rate).    But how much better is the key to how significantly our team will improve in 2021.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...