SteveA

Matt Harvey to 10 day IL (right knee), Richie Martin up

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if we will actually see Bannon this season or not…

With Urias being the guy who is hurting right now, I don't think they would have brought Bannon up.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

With Urias being the guy who is hurting right now, I don't think they would have brought Bannon up.

Yep, I figure with Urias with the leg injury that leaves only Mateo at short. If Mateo goes down, and Urias can't field right now, who are you going to stick at SS? It wouldn't be Bannon. 

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ryan Ripken. 😁

Also Matt Harvey's Orioles career is likely over now with three weeks left in the season. 

And our rotation the rest of the season is Means + rookies

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And our rotation the rest of the season is Means + rookies

I am delighted by that. Let’s see all the rookies. The best way to get experience performing is to perform.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

I hope this is correct.  I would have gone with Means and rookies from the ASB  forward.  

Harvey bought himself some time by pitching acceptably in the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Harvey bought himself some time by pitching acceptably in the 2nd half.

Maybe helped him, but we should have used  the future not the forgettable past.  It is the Orioles we are trying to help, not someone from the distant past.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Maybe helped him, but we should have used  the future not the forgettable past.  It is the Orioles we are trying to help, not someone from the distant past.  

Harvey served his purpose.  He ate innings.

Maybe we could have moved on a little early, but plenty of "the future" was here this year- and it looked awful.  I really think it's hard to make a case he was blocking somebody who deserved it.

• Upvote 1

Who had Matt Harvey leading this team in innings pitched with three weeks to go in the season?

Means throws a couple more and he's the leader...but sheesh, if you had told me in April that Matt Harvey would be the 2nd leader in innings pitched this year, I'd probably start crying or something.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 4:12 PM, Oriole1940 said:

I have no problem with using guys like Harvey to soak up some innings in a year where everyone was ramping back up from 2020.   But that’s over when next season starts.   

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Good assessment. I think we’re getting close enough to where we keep Mullins. However, we’re not going to win until we have a SP and some depth behind that SP.   We have Means, GR, Hall for 2023. Maybe Lyles if he pitches well, or if at least 1 emerges from our current group other than Means and Lyles. I just don’t see how we compete in 2023 otherwise.    Unless we really get blown away by an offer I think we wait and see what our SP looks like at the end of the year. Maybe $15mm per year SP next year. 
    • The Ravens are way too beat up in the secondary, even for a washed up Ben Roethlisberger. We're going to need Lamar to step up and have himself a game or I see a loss.
    • I don’t know what he’s going to sign for in Japan but we gave him $1.5 million last year. I’m sure if we offered him that same deal then he would’ve stayed here. It depends on what the Japanese team gave him. 
    • Here are some key monthly splits. Offense  March/April (12-14 record): 3.62 R/G (14th), .224/.282/.366 (14th in OPS), 0.96 HR/G (13th), .211/.291/.303 with RISP. May (5-23): 3.86 R/G (13th), .234/.307/.397 (8th), 1.07 HR/G (10th), .219/.311/.317 with RISP June (10-17): 4.85 R/G (8th), .255/.317/.420 (9th), 1.37 HR/G (9th), .288/.337/.446 with RISP July (10-12): 4.41 R/G (9th), .232/.303/.400 (10th), 1.23 HR/G (10th), .231/.309/.329 with RISP August (4-24): 3.86 R/G (14th), .250/.302/.432 (9th), 1.39 HR/G (6th), .214/.291/.303 with RISP Sept./Oct. (11-20): 3.90 R/G (14th), .237/.308/.391 (12th), 1.19 HR/G (7th), .225/.314/.398 with RISP Pitching  March/April (12-14): 4.01 ERA (8th), 5.00 starters (14th), 4.85 IP/S (11th), 2.81 relievers (5th), 7 of 12 saves May (5-23): 5.89 ERA (15th), 5.69 starters (15th), 4.63 IP/S (15th), 6.13 relievers (15th), 2 of 8 saves June (10-17): 6.38 ERA (15th), 7.42 starters (15th), 4.22 IP/S (15th), 5.40 relievers (14th), 6 of 8 saves July (10-12): 5.35 ERA (15th), 5.67 starters (12th), 4.62 IP/S (15th), 5.01 relievers (11th), 3 of 5 saves August (4-24): 7.43 ERA (15th), 7.20 starters (15th), 4.60 IP/S (13th), 7.69 relievers (15th), 1 of 4 saves Sept./Oct. (11-20): 5.84 ERA (15th), 5.05 starters (12th), 4.37 IP/S (12th), 6.63 relievers (15th), 7 of 17 saves   I’ve bolded a few things that really stood out to me.   On offense, we had four of six moths where we were absolutely terrible with RISP.    For context, the league average slash line with RISP was .255/.333/.422.   In particular, look at the slugging percentages with RISP in the four feeble months: .303, .317, .329, and .303.   Just goes to show how empty most of our homers were. As to pitching, the starters and bullpen were both very respectable in March/April and gave us false hopes for a fun summer.    They were both terrible thereafter, and I think an under-discussed aspect was how bad the bullpen was, not just in ERA but bottom line results in failing to preserve leads, especially over the last two months of the year.   If you want to see a significant improvement in the team’s record next year, a halfway respectable performance by the bullpen would go a surprisingly long way.  
    • A better order Better bring in a haul - Mullins, Hays, Means Some To little value; could gain much more value w/ good start to 2022 - Santander, Mancini, Sulser, Scott, Tate, Lyles Currently no value, but bc of age, service time, and/or potential to reach peak value, IF they were to perform WOULD have trade value - Fry, Lopez, Odor, Stewart    
    • I was shocked at first but did some research on the current market, and  1 year 7 million is spot on for Lyles to the O's
    • They have no current value, but this thread discusses potential to build value as well.
  • Popular Contributors