O's84

Sep. 10th. Jay's vs O's

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I suppose we have to root for the home team, but the talk by the broadcasters about how Mountcastle needs to be getting rookie of the year buzz when he’s got .9 WAR while Adolis  Garcia has 3.8 is kind of ridiculous.

I am happy Mountcastle having a good year, but doubt he is even second or third in ROY thoughts.

If he can hit over 30 homers he might get some votes.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was surprised Ken Griffey Jr didn't do it...actually never came all that close, really.  I thought he stole more bases than he did, especially in the early days.

That's what I was thinking but his highest was 24.  He had only 1 other 20 SB season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Two guys in one year wearing #75.  Interesting.  

Walter Young, name from the past.

That surprised me too.

All I remember about Walter Young was him being built like an offensive lineman and that he hit decently in his one short stint with the Orioles. 

a25f86_a6a5b0cde4ff42c2b899234716663124~

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That surprised me too.

All I remember about Walter Young was him being built like an offensive lineman and that he hit decently in his one short stint with the Orioles. 

a25f86_a6a5b0cde4ff42c2b899234716663124~

That's odd, I remember that he DIDN'T hit decently and he went somewhere else like KC and did well for a few weeks.

I just checked...first of all, he's DEAD.  He died in 2015 at age 35 from a heart attack.  That's very sad.

But you're right, he did hit well here.  Albeit small sample size.  37 at bats,  303./378/.424.  He didn't play anywhere else.

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m always amazed that Bobby Bonds did it seven times. He was incredibly large, and I never thought of him as a fast guy

Well, he became incredibly large.  Not so much earlier in his career.94887-Before-And-After-The-Two-Teams-bar

Edited by jdwilde1
Typo

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Working out of two bases loaded jams doesn't portend for great things to come, IMO.  It's a neat highwire balancing act, but that's about it.

Yeah, they are the 3rd best offense in MLB.  They can erupt in any moment.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's odd, I remember that he DIDN'T hit decently and he went somewhere else like KC and did well for a few weeks.

I just checked...first of all, he's DEAD.  He died in 2015 at age 35 from a heart attack.  That's very sad.

But you're right, he did hit well here.  Albeit small sample size.  37 at bats,  303./378/.424.  He didn't play anywhere else.

You're thinking of Calvin Pickering. I don't know why neither of them got more of a chance. Pickering hit the big leagues at 21 and never got more than a month's worth of games, and Young put up an .800 OPS in his month.

1 minute ago, SilverRocket said:

You're thinking of Calvin Pickering. I don't know why neither of them got more of a chance. Pickering hit the big leagues at 21 and never got more than a month's worth of games, and Young put up an .800 OPS in his month.

Because they were big and fat, probably. 

Good call, I was thinking about ol' Cal Pick.  

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:
51 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Now I have to find a list of 30-30 guys all time.

Well...off the top of my head...

Mike Trout

Willie Mays

Hank Aaron

Barry Bonds

Bobby Bonds

Larry Walker

Eric Davis

Dale Murphy

Jose Canseco

Larry Walker

Alex Rodriguez

Alfonso Soriano 

Pretty good company to be in if Mullins can drill a couple more homers and steal some more bases.  

Speaking of the power/speed combo, nobody did it better than Eric Davis between ‘86-‘87.  Despite only playing in about 130 games each year he put up 27/80 and 37/50.  Perhaps more impressively, he had a 162 stretch where he had 50 homers and 50 steals.  Just an amazing talent who could never get away from the injury bug.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• If MLB had a better product to put on the field, it would not matter as much, as to what the size of the market is.  But as long as they operate in the decades ago mentality, they need to worry.  As long as the Dodgers, Res Sox and Yankees are not in the WS, it is a win win situation foe me.     
    • Most of your comment didn’t address what I said. But you usually don’t see those things except on the replay, and frequently not even then, because the camera work is so bad. Now, on instant replay, of course, we get exquisite close-ups of the last half second of a play, but so what? In real time we don’t get to watch it happen except in blinks. In football, the complexity is part of the game. It really is as complicated as war….or as Shaw said, as opera. Basketball is nonstop. 48 minutes of aggressive ballet.  And those are both OK The excitement of baseball is that we constantly experience build up and then resolution. Sometimes the resolution is nothing, a foul ball, for instance, or a pop-up, and foul balls and pop-ups are boring, but we don’t know they’re going to happen until they actually happen, so the anticipation is itself exciting. Strikeouts are not boring, But they would be more exciting if they were less plentiful. But sometimes they result in a ball put into play, and that’s good.  But one of the huge problems is that the way the cameras are used completely ruins the impact of a play, and completely eliminates the power of that anticipation, That few seconds before “it happens” that is one of the chief delights of baseball. here’s an example: Many years ago, I think Merwin Gonzalez, but it might have been Johnathan Villar, Stole home against Wey Yin Chen and the Orioles. Not only was the camera angle perfect, and we got to watch the whole thing start to finish, but the announcers picked up on the runner creeping away from third base, they were setting up the possibility, increasing the anticipation and therefore increasing the excitement, And then it happened. That year the Astros were awful and the Orioles were fabulous, but there we got to watch a marvelous little 15-second vignette, a tale told beautifully. And for those 15 seconds, the Astros made the Orioles look pretty dumb. That kind of successful presentation is so rare as to be practically accidental, and the absence of it is part of the problem of baseball.
    • Well that really sucks.  Dumb ankle sprains.   Do we expect the Ravens to be active ahead of the trade deadline?  One week out from tomorrow............
    • Atlanta might be the 7th biggest market, but their payroll was 12th, and about $30 mm less than the Orioles spent just a few years ago.    I do think the sport would be better off if all teams’ payrolls were within a relatively narrow band.  
    • I was very surprised to see the grades Tony put on his hit tool: Current 50 and Future 70. That seems high to me, personally. It suggest that Rutschman has the ability to develop into a consistent .300+ hitter.  I just don't see that happening. Perhaps Tony could expand on his thoughts.
    • Can’t get behind ‘86 since I have hated the Mets every single day since 1969.   In ‘86, I hated them much more than the Red Sox, which weren’t the same huge-spending team with self-entitled fans they are today.   And then like half the Mets team wrote autobiographies or accounts of the season.   Couldn’t go to the baseball shelf of a bookstore without seeing like 20 books by or about the Mets.   Yuck! if only I could reorder time.   I’d have loved to watch the Red Sox lose a WS game by having their 1B have a routine grounder go through his legs if it were 2018.
    • Thanks for the comments and offers of support. I do have DISH, so I have access to the playoff games.  When 10 PM rolls around I turn off the TV regardless and check the scores after I wake up. The biggest reason I have DISH is I absolutely love Formula 1 on ESPN.  The offtimes hapless Ferraris are much improved. With the Competitive Balance picks and larger international bonus pools MLB is attempting to balance the playing field.
  • Popular Contributors