Frobby

Henderson vs. Mayo at Delmarva

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would like to see some guys who can play plus defense in the infield.   I don’t think a bunch of solid bats who are just adequate defensively at 2B/3B/SS is a winning formula.   I’m not saying I want a bunch of all defense guys there, I’m saying I want guys who do both well.   And I think the jury is still out on Westburg/Henderson/Mayo on that score.   

As you know, there is no ONE winning formula. Does adequate mean average or below average.  I'll settle for either if the offense is so good that overall they are above average players at their positions. 

21 hours ago, LookinUp said:

As of this minute I'd go:

3) Mayo, 4) Cowser, 5) Hall, 6) Henderson, 7) Westburg (or other)

I'll take Mayo's power over Cowser's approach, though I love both. Also take Hall's risk at his level over Gunnar's. I know batting average isn't a great stat, but his OPS is actually not the problem in my eyes. He's just not making a ton of contact. The power's there when he does, but I'm hoping for a significant jump in BA next year in addition to a more reliable glove, which I think will happen.

I really like Westburg, but am just not sure where in the 8-10 range I'd put him. Mostly out of my own ignorance of the guys also close to that spot.

It's fair to go with Mayo over Cowser due to the upside, but there's still more risk in Mayo so that's a close call. I haven't made up my mind yet but it's a nice problem to have.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

As you know, there is no ONE winning formula. Does adequate mean average or below average.  I'll settle for either if the offense is so good that overall they are above average players at their positions. 

Yes, I’m aware there’s no one winning formula, and I’ve made that point many, many times.   But I think if you had passable but below average defenders at all of 2B, SS and 3B, you’d really have to hit the snot out of the ball to make up for it.  And as a longtime fan of this particular team, we’ve never had a playoff team that wasn’t pretty strong in the infield, at least at 1-2 of the 3 spots.   I’m sure if I sniffed around I could find some other organization that had playoff teams that were relatively weak at all three, but they’re pretty few and far between in my opinion.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I’m aware there’s no one winning formula, and I’ve made that point many, many times.   But I think if you had passable but below average defenders at all of 2B, SS and 3B, you’d really have to hit the snot out of the ball to make up for it.  And as a longtime fan of this particular team, we’ve never had a playoff team that wasn’t pretty strong in the infield, at least at 1-2 of the 3 spots.   I’m sure if I sniffed around I could find some other organization that had playoff teams that were relatively weak at all three, but they’re pretty few and far between in my opinion.  

I bet the Ron Cey, Bill Russell, Davey Lopes infield was not all that great defensively.  First one that popped into my head.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I bet the Ron Cey, Bill Russell, Davey Lopes infield was not all that great defensively.  First one that popped into my head.

Well, I don’t know about every defensive metric, but by Rfield (which feeds into rWAR), Cey was +64 while with the Dodgers, Lopes -27, Russell +72.  (Rtot is the same thing as Rfield.)   So, not bad at all.