Jump to content
Bahama O's Fan

Orioles That Could Start on a Playoff Team

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I wouldn't count Sulser because although he would be useful bullpen depth on probably every playoff team, he would probably be the 4th or 5th option.   Unless you're setup man or closer I don't consider that really starting. 

I don't know how you figure a closer and a setup man is a starter but a middle reliever is not.   He could pitch has many innings as the closer or setup guys.   Every playoff team needs middle relievers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how you figure a closer and a setup man is a starter but a middle reliever is not.   He could pitch has many innings as the closer or setup guys.   Every playoff team needs middle relievers.

I guess its sort of arbitrary but every team needs pinch hitters, pinch runners and defensive replacements too, but I don't consider those starters. 

I guess these days the middle reliever (basically 3rd bullpen option) would probably be considered a starters as its rare for the starting pitcher to go more than 6 innings, and you need someone to pitch the 7th.  So maybe Sulser might make it on some playoff teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess Mullins and Means would be the only regulars on every team. Hays, Mancini, Mountcastle etc could play their primary positions on some teams but not others. For example, Mountcastle and Mancini would be role players for any NL team that already has a good 1B. I think I would take all three White Sox OFs over Hays and Santander. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1983 Orioles took the field for Game 1 of the World Series starting Rich Dauer, Jim Dwyer, and Todd Cruz.  Not every player on a playoff team has to be great.  The Giants are 43 games over .500 this year with a team whose "household" names other than late July addition Kris Bryant are all in their mid-30s.  Everybody else is a no-name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the better question here is which players do we have on the Major League that could be a starting answer for us. And that list is small. 

Mancini (if we extend him), Mountcastle, Mullins, Means, Hays, Santander

Add the bench and bullpen and you maybe have a couple more guys. Hopefully, next year, the list is longer with Adley, Grayson, and some others breaking in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I guess its sort of arbitrary but every team needs pinch hitters, pinch runners and defensive replacements too, but I don't consider those starters. 

I guess these days the middle reliever (basically 3rd bullpen option) would probably be considered a starters as its rare for the starting pitcher to go more than 6 innings, and you need someone to pitch the 7th.  So maybe Sulser might make it on some playoff teams.

Right....Ryan McKenna can be a piece on a contender right now  but thats not exactly what the point of this thread is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

All of them.  And, if the O's were in a playoff chase, Rutschman would have been up by now.  But, they aren't and he isn't.

There's zero doubt about that with Severino and Wynns as the Orioles battery. I understand why AR is playing in the minors because of service time (that could change next year with a new collective bargaining agreement), but he's MLB ready now. 

Similar to how Machado doesn't get called up in 2012 if the Orioles aren't in a playoff chase with a massive hole at 3B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is silly to discuss whether a reliever is a “starter.” The question is whether any of our levers would be welcome in a playoff bullpen, and the question is laughable. A playoff bullpen with seven guys? Making room for one of ours?? Let us all laugh together.

Ha. Ha.

Wells might be a possibility But I don’t think he has enough track record so the answer to the question is a resounding no. Mullins, Means, maybe Hays, And then close the door and look elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Philip said:

It is silly to discuss whether a reliever is a “starter.” The question is whether any of our levers would be welcome in a playoff bullpen, and the question is laughable. A playoff bullpen with seven guys? Making room for one of ours?? Let us all laugh together.

Ha. Ha.

Wells might be a possibility But I don’t think he has enough track record so the answer to the question is a resounding no. Mullins, Means, maybe Hays, And then close the door and look elsewhere.

Sulser is putting up a 3.15 ERA.  That’s should enough to make him a useful piece even on most playoff  teams .  Except probably not Tampa Bay, maybe not Milwaukee or San Fran ( but you also have to consider AL/NL differences there)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...