Pushmonkey

Local media

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since this is about the media: are you saying that the local media that covers the Ravens act differently than the local media that cover the Orioles?

(I don’t follow the Ravens and hence have no idea what their coverage is like.)

Personally, I think the Ravens are fortunate with the local reporters they have.  

That being said, if we drew a parallel to the MASN guys, it would be the BaltimoreRavens.com guys and they are very optimistic and sometimes over the top.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since this is about the media: are you saying that the local media that covers the Ravens act differently than the local media that cover the Orioles?

I think Orioles and Ravens coverage is pretty comparable. Both have their homer-friendly journalists and their more critical journalists. And quite honestly, there's a role for both. Sometimes you want someone like Roch who kind of celebrates the daily grind of the season and the little stories that come with it. Other times, you want someone critical to really dig into what a front office is doing, for instance.

The difference might be that it is much easier to write interesting critique about a football team, than a baseball team. There's a lot going on in a NFL game - and you can have many discussions about playcalling, scheme, how individuals performed in certain roles, the always revolving door of injuries, etc. Baseball is a simpler game, and at a certain point, especially with the Orioles, all there is to say sometimes is that "the pitching sucks" or "the offense swings at everything and they need to stop."

I also think that some local news organizations have talent that is much more NFL knowledgeable. Listen to sports talk on 105.7, and a lot of their guys will struggle to talk about baseball in a knowledgeable way. So, there isn't a lot of critique there on the Orioles side, because the hosts just aren't comfortable doing it.

I think the original poster is maybe speaking more about the transparency of the Ravens organization over the Orioles, though. The Ravens always try to win, are well run, they have a coach who quite frankly is a far better communicator than Hyde, and they generally try to have an honest relationship with their fans. I'd argue the Orioles organization is the exact opposite of that - they don't try to win, they are not well run, the messages from the Front Office and Ownership are usually pretty cryptic, and they aren't very honest with their fanbase (think the banning of outside food policy, for instance).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porky said:

I think the original poster is maybe speaking more about the transparency of the Ravens organization over the Orioles, though. The Ravens always try to win, are well run, they have a coach who quite frankly is a far better communicator than Hyde, and they generally try to have an honest relationship with their fans. I'd argue the Orioles organization is the exact opposite of that - they don't try to win, they are not well run, the messages from the Front Office and Ownership are usually pretty cryptic, and they aren't very honest with their fanbase (think the banning of outside food policy, for instance).

I can’t speak to how the Ravens are run and how they interact with the media, since I don’t follow them closely.   I do think that the salary cap structure in football, and the nature of how teams are put together (larger team, no minor leagues, short careers for most players, no guaranteed contracts) makes the strategy of how to build a good team very different.   

On 9/13/2021 at 2:22 PM, Frobby said:

Honestly i think his streak is just silly.   Does anyone really care?   He frequently writes posts that are just recaps of old information.    He’s hardly unique in doing that, but it renders his streak pretty meaningless.   The world wouldn’t stop revolving on it axis if Roch took a two week vacation and didn’t post at all.   

By the way, I’ve been working 39 years and have never taken a sick day.   But I’ve taken plenty of vacations!

Of course you would say this. You are the reason Roch and I no longer talk. :D

No worries though, I haven't lost any sleep over it.

2 hours ago, Porky said:

I also think that some local news organizations have talent that is much more NFL knowledgeable. Listen to sports talk on 105.7, and a lot of their guys will struggle to talk about baseball in a knowledgeable way. So, there isn't a lot of critique there on the Orioles side, because the hosts just aren't comfortable doing it.

Also 105.7 is the flagship radio station for broadcasting the Orioles, so there is always going to be a limit to their criticisms of the team. They go after the Ravens way harder than the Orioles.

The same also applies to 1090 WBAL the Ravens broadcast partner. I don't really listen 1090 at all anymore and their sports coverage is minimal now, but from my recollection they would criticize the Ravens with a slightly more critical eye. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If roch no longer talks to you, that is definitely his loss. He’s probably embarrassed because you know so much more than he does about so much more than he does.

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

If roch no Longer talks to you, that is definitely his lossLonger talks to you, that is definitely his loss

Thanks, but I doubt very much he's losing any sleep over not talking with me either. :D 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, I’ve said as many good things about Roch over the years as bad things, so I’m not losing sleep over it either.   Overall, I enjoy his blog most of the time.  But I’m pretty sure I could live without it for a day here and there.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can’t speak to how the Ravens are run and how they interact with the media, since I don’t follow them closely.   I do think that the salary cap structure in football, and the nature of how teams are put together (larger team, no minor leagues, short careers for most players, no guaranteed contracts) makes the strategy of how to build a good team very different.   

There's definitely incentive to tank in the NFL - stacking draft picks and taking on bad contracts to essentially buy draft picks is a strategy employed by a number of teams, most notably the Browns. The sports, like you noted, have their differences - but both leagues have organizations that are typically terrible and also have teams that undergo multi-season, modern, analytics-minded rebuilds.

Overall, the Ravens have been competitive nearly every year since 2000 - and if they do have a bad year, it's usually due to injuries and they aren't depressively bad. The Orioles are the complete opposite - and its made clear with the size of its respective fanbases. If the Orioles are to establish a long-term fanbase with younger audiences, they're not only going to have to compete for success on the field, they're also going to have to compete with Lamar Jackson.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Absolutely.   Mike Preston, the main Sun columnist who covers the Ravens, holds their feet to the fire.   Jerry Coleman, from 105.7, always asks tough questions at press conferences.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Is there a back story here involving Frobby, Tony, and Roch that I don't know about?

• Upvote 1