Frobby

Kelvin Gutierrez’s defense

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I am dreaming on tools just a bit here, but we can afford to keep him and find out. Richie Martin is probably out. And who would you rather have, Bannon or Gutierrez? I’ll take Gutierrez.

Elias said he is going outside the organization for infielders.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Elias said he is going outside the organization for infielders.

When did he say he would specifically bring in infielders from outside the organization? In the latest interview with Elias, I have both listened to it and read the transcripts. All I can find is where he said he would bring in pitching external reinforcements.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/09/elias-on-coaching-staff-starting-pitching-free-agents-and-more.html

Either way, I can see the team maybe add an infielder, probably a legitimate MLB SS. I am not sure they want to start the year with Mateo and Urias at SS if they are considering spending some money to add pitching. They could add a 3B, but why spend money there if Gutierrez will play excellent defense and is showing interesting improvement offensively?

A lot of moving parts this off season. Additions and subtractions to the 40 man will be interesting to follow. It looks to be about 17 subtractions before the Winter meetings. We’ll find out if we have a very good GM, or not. 

38 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

When did he say he would specifically bring in infielders from outside the organization? 

Mike: "We're going to be needing infielders next year. I think some of them will be coming from outside the organization  but also guys like him (Mateo) and Urias showed us enough talented and  production that we are going to try to have a place for them in our plans going into the off season."

6:50 into the interview.

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/sports/os-gm-mike-elias-talks-os-future-with-the-bbms

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe that is his intention.

So, riffing on MMs post, but why do you believe “it’s his intention“? Do you know him personally, so at least your conjecture has a basis in familiarity?

I like Elias, but he better get busy and not so much with the comments he makes to MASN bloggers. 

Time to turn the ship around.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, riffing on MMs post, but why do you believe “it’s his intention“? Do you know him personally, so at least your conjecture has a basis in familiarity?

I like Elias, but he better get busy and not so much with the comments he makes to MASN bloggers. 

Time to turn the ship around.

So far Elias has done what he said he would do.   Yes, this off season he needs to be busy.  Add an infielder, and several pitchers.   He has completed the tear down.   Added prospects and will continue that on an ongoing basis.  I think he will add some veterans this off season on short term contracts to supplement the current team and the prospects that are graduating to the majors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So far Elias has done what he said he would do.   Yes, this off season he needs to be busy.  Add an infielder, and several pitchers.   He has completed the tear down.   Added prospects and will continue that on an ongoing basis.  I think he will add some veterans this off season on short term contracts to supplement the current team and the prospects that are graduating to the majors.

I hope you’re right, but this is speculative. I also think he’s done what he said and 2020 was both a lost season developmentally and for any expected timeline which I dispute there ever being. 

However, he’s out of explanations for the continued miserable state of this team.

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I hope you’re right, but this is speculative. I also think he’s done what he said and 2020 was both a lost season developmentally and for any expected timeline which I dispute there ever being. 

However, he’s out of explanations for the continued miserable state of this team.

I don't understand how, with every team is operating under the same constraints folks are willing to write off an entire season.  This was the plan.  The only thing we missed out on last year was a hundred games of them being bad.   Look at this team, there was nothing that could have happened in a full season last year that would have led to this team being anything other than a train wreck.  If anything it helped Elias since he can keep Adley down another season while the rest of the prospects develop.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do you really believe everything he says?

I certainly believe he will bring in some other infielders.   Whether they’ll be actual, sure to make the team upgrades or just take a flyer types remains to be seen, and Elias certainly didn’t promise the former.   

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand how, with every team is operating under the same constraints folks are willing to write off an entire season.  This was the plan.  The only thing we missed out on last year was a hundred games of them being bad.   Look at this team, there was nothing that could have happened in a full season last year that would have led to this team being anything other than a train wreck.  If anything it helped Elias since he can keep Adley down another season while the rest of the prospects develop.

I think a full minor league season in 2020 would have put the O's further along in the rebuild.   But it cost all teams minor league development.

He is a Proven Winner of 2020 Iglesias and 2021 Galvis, defeating 29 other clubs.   #Opportunities

It just hit me Gutierrez 2021 reminds me a little of Cruz 1983, except in a Bizarro world with respect to the quality of the rest of the team.  He can't hit much, but who cares?   That was the Machado 2012 line too.

Infielders outside the org, what I'd love are power rankings of text responsiveness among:

-Carlos Correa and Mike Elias

-Carlos Correa and AJ Hinch

-Carlos Correa and James Click

-Justin Verlander and AJ Hinch

-Justin Verlander and James Click

The Tigers have kind of enjoyed the season I hoped the Orioles might have.   I am impressed with the Astros, and thrilled for Dusty, but I'm still not all the way off my prior he's doing a PR job for MLB, and a Hyde clone is coming to their dugout in the wake of trashcan diaspora.   Their international pitching pipeline may keep them afloat even if Greinke, Correa and Verlander walk, as has been my ~100% expectation.

• Upvote 1