Jump to content
Frobby

Kelvin Gutierrez’s defense

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

 

I am dreaming on tools just a bit here, but we can afford to keep him and find out. Richie Martin is probably out. And who would you rather have, Bannon or Gutierrez? I’ll take Gutierrez.

Elias said he is going outside the organization for infielders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Elias said he is going outside the organization for infielders.

When did he say he would specifically bring in infielders from outside the organization? In the latest interview with Elias, I have both listened to it and read the transcripts. All I can find is where he said he would bring in pitching external reinforcements.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/09/elias-on-coaching-staff-starting-pitching-free-agents-and-more.html

Either way, I can see the team maybe add an infielder, probably a legitimate MLB SS. I am not sure they want to start the year with Mateo and Urias at SS if they are considering spending some money to add pitching. They could add a 3B, but why spend money there if Gutierrez will play excellent defense and is showing interesting improvement offensively?

A lot of moving parts this off season. Additions and subtractions to the 40 man will be interesting to follow. It looks to be about 17 subtractions before the Winter meetings. We’ll find out if we have a very good GM, or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

When did he say he would specifically bring in infielders from outside the organization? 

 

Mike: "We're going to be needing infielders next year. I think some of them will be coming from outside the organization  but also guys like him (Mateo) and Urias showed us enough talented and  production that we are going to try to have a place for them in our plans going into the off season."

6:50 into the interview.

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/sports/os-gm-mike-elias-talks-os-future-with-the-bbms

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe that is his intention.

So, riffing on MMs post, but why do you believe “it’s his intention“? Do you know him personally, so at least your conjecture has a basis in familiarity?

I like Elias, but he better get busy and not so much with the comments he makes to MASN bloggers. 

Time to turn the ship around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, riffing on MMs post, but why do you believe “it’s his intention“? Do you know him personally, so at least your conjecture has a basis in familiarity?

I like Elias, but he better get busy and not so much with the comments he makes to MASN bloggers. 

Time to turn the ship around.

So far Elias has done what he said he would do.   Yes, this off season he needs to be busy.  Add an infielder, and several pitchers.   He has completed the tear down.   Added prospects and will continue that on an ongoing basis.  I think he will add some veterans this off season on short term contracts to supplement the current team and the prospects that are graduating to the majors.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So far Elias has done what he said he would do.   Yes, this off season he needs to be busy.  Add an infielder, and several pitchers.   He has completed the tear down.   Added prospects and will continue that on an ongoing basis.  I think he will add some veterans this off season on short term contracts to supplement the current team and the prospects that are graduating to the majors.

I hope you’re right, but this is speculative. I also think he’s done what he said and 2020 was both a lost season developmentally and for any expected timeline which I dispute there ever being. 

However, he’s out of explanations for the continued miserable state of this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I hope you’re right, but this is speculative. I also think he’s done what he said and 2020 was both a lost season developmentally and for any expected timeline which I dispute there ever being. 

However, he’s out of explanations for the continued miserable state of this team.

I don't understand how, with every team is operating under the same constraints folks are willing to write off an entire season.  This was the plan.  The only thing we missed out on last year was a hundred games of them being bad.   Look at this team, there was nothing that could have happened in a full season last year that would have led to this team being anything other than a train wreck.  If anything it helped Elias since he can keep Adley down another season while the rest of the prospects develop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do you really believe everything he says?

 

I certainly believe he will bring in some other infielders.   Whether they’ll be actual, sure to make the team upgrades or just take a flyer types remains to be seen, and Elias certainly didn’t promise the former.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't understand how, with every team is operating under the same constraints folks are willing to write off an entire season.  This was the plan.  The only thing we missed out on last year was a hundred games of them being bad.   Look at this team, there was nothing that could have happened in a full season last year that would have led to this team being anything other than a train wreck.  If anything it helped Elias since he can keep Adley down another season while the rest of the prospects develop.

 

I think a full minor league season in 2020 would have put the O's further along in the rebuild.   But it cost all teams minor league development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a Proven Winner of 2020 Iglesias and 2021 Galvis, defeating 29 other clubs.   #Opportunities

It just hit me Gutierrez 2021 reminds me a little of Cruz 1983, except in a Bizarro world with respect to the quality of the rest of the team.  He can't hit much, but who cares?   That was the Machado 2012 line too.

Infielders outside the org, what I'd love are power rankings of text responsiveness among:

-Carlos Correa and Mike Elias

-Carlos Correa and AJ Hinch

-Carlos Correa and James Click

-Justin Verlander and AJ Hinch

-Justin Verlander and James Click

The Tigers have kind of enjoyed the season I hoped the Orioles might have.   I am impressed with the Astros, and thrilled for Dusty, but I'm still not all the way off my prior he's doing a PR job for MLB, and a Hyde clone is coming to their dugout in the wake of trashcan diaspora.   Their international pitching pipeline may keep them afloat even if Greinke, Correa and Verlander walk, as has been my ~100% expectation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Interesting that you keep bringing it up like it's a cause for concern.  Unless the cancer comes back, I think he's settled anything that has to do with his health. Next.
    • None of those comps are really that similar to Trey because he has the unique  situation of having stage 3 cancer and went through chemo.   Any GM offering a multi year contract must include that as a risk factor which may shorten the number of years a team may want to commit guaranteed money. That said I think Trey's value is low right now because of his second half of 2021.   With a normal off season of Trey being the worker that he is should allow him to have much better 2022.    I am very much in favor of signing Trey to a two year contract or a one year with an option year.   That way he is not a rental player this season and if he has a good 1st half that probably raise his value at the deadline or even over next winter.
    • It’s pretty hard to find good comps for Mancini, and I’d say his offensive performance in 2022 will have a lot of influence on his future value.   Mancini has a career OPS+ of 115.  Last year Kyle Schwarber was coming off a very bad 2020 (88 OPS+) but got a 1/$10 mm contract based on his career 113 OPS+.   This year he put up 148 OPS+ but in 113 games.   I’m hearing he may get 3/$60 mm.    David Peralta had a 115 OPS+ through 2019, when he signed an extension for 3/$22 mm.   He was a little older than Mancini; the extension covered his ages 32-34 seasons.  Mancini will be 30 this year.    Then you have a guy like Wil Myers who had a 110 OPS+ through 2016 including 115 OPS+ that year, and signed for 6/$83 mm including $22.5 mm/yr for three FA years.    Mark Trumbo had a career 113 OPS+ and was coming off his 47 homer, 122 OPS+ campaign when he signed for 3/$37.5 mm with the O’s.   Not clear he could have got close to that elsewhere.   Long and short, Mancini is in a sort of in-betweenish spot, and how he does in 2022 will matter a lot to his FA value.       
    • I honestly don't think the ravens win another game this season. Cleveland is coming off a bye and hasn't had to watch film on another team in three weeks. The Packers are on bye this week, will be well rested and will be seeing a secondary without 3 of its top 4 players. The Bengals barring a serious Burrow injury are playing well, with an elite level of offense, loss this week not withstanding. The Rams are pretty stacked and healthy. Maybe the ravens can get the steelers at home but I seriously doubt it.  At the end of the season they may be running out some players who weren't even in the league last week with the rate of their injuries.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...