Jump to content
wildcard

Proposal: O's spend 40m in FA

Recommended Posts

Just now, jabba72 said:

If AR's catching that many games it will begun to impact his bat. Not to mention shorten his shelf life at catcher.  I wouldn't go over 115

Catching any amount of significant games is going to affect  his bat.  That's why a middle of the order catcher is so rare.  I'd rather have a catcher with an 800 OPS than a 1B with a 850.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pickles said:

Catching any amount of significant games is going to affect  his bat.  That's why a middle of the order catcher is so rare.  I'd rather have a catcher with an 800 OPS than a 1B with a 850.

Right, but we've seen what happened to Wieters after 3 years of catching around or over 130 games. He was never the same defensive player after age 27.  I'd like to see them get more mileage from AR, which means they'll probably have to work him less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Right, but we've seen what happened to Wieters after 3 years of catching around or over 130 games. He was never the same defensive player after age 27.  I'd like to see them get more mileage from AR, which means they'll probably have to work him less. 

To be clear, I want to see AR catch 130 games in his prime.  I understand that he probably shouldn't be doing that immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Baseball prospects, you might have heard of them.

Rated MW #1 in all of MIL in 2009, the first and only Oriole to ever hit #1,

AR is currently at #2, yes, he might make it to #1 before going to the ML, but he cant do better than #1, So clearly, Matt wins or draws at the measurement of MIL value.

 

I guess you mean baseball prospectus?  
 

Lol at your last statement but whatever.  Not even worth discussing it if you actually believe he is CLEARLY better.  That’s just absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess you mean baseball prospectus?  
 

Lol at your last statement but whatever.  Not even worth discussing it if you actually believe he is CLEARLY better.  That’s just absurd.

Don’t think that’s what he said.   He basically said Rutschman can’t be rated any higher than Wieters was as a prospect, because Wieters was ranked no. 1.    I think we can all agree that (1) we are hoping that Rutschman will turn out to be better than Wieters, and (2) while there are reasons to think he could be better, we really won’t know until he gets up here and shows what he can do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess you mean baseball prospectus?  
 

Lol at your last statement but whatever.  Not even worth discussing it if you actually believe he is CLEARLY better.  That’s just absurd.

Absurd if somebody doesnt agree with you.

Whatever, I dont give a fork.

Frobby thank you for an excellent job of explaining my thoughts, better than I did.

@Frobby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t think that’s what he said.   He basically said Rutschman can’t be rated any higher than Wieters was as a prospect, because Wieters was ranked no. 1.    I think we can all agree that (1) we are hoping that Rutschman will turn out to be better than Wieters, and (2) while there are reasons to think he could be better, we really won’t know until he gets up here and shows what he can do.  

Correct, and I said it earlier, at this point is all perspective and guess work, until we see AR play at the major league level for 3-5 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we should generalize based on Wieters. Posey is still catching at age 34. Rutschman looks like a different type of player than Wieters with a whole different level of athleticism. 

 Being significantly shorter should help him- in theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to put some things in perspective for people: 

Jason Kendall is 25th all time in catcher WAR.

He finished his career with a 95 OPS+ and a career high of 14 hrs.

If you are a true middle of the order bat, you won't catch for very long.

And if you do catch for very long, it's almost impossible to be a "middle of the order bat."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Pickles said:

No.   Wieters hit better.  Was he a middle of the order bat?

 

This does not make him a better prospect. LOL. If he was a better prospect, he would have been the near-consensus #1 that Adley was. He was not. Just because a guy hits a little better in AA does not make him a better prospect. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't think we should generalize based on Wieters. Posey is still catching at age 34. Rutschman looks like a different type of player than Wieters with a whole different level of athleticism. 

Posey's an outlier, IMO, he also only catched 120 games twice in his career so he's always been given a lighter load at Catcher. I would find a decent hitting backup and not go over 115 games with AR.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

This does not make him a better prospect. LOL. If he was a better prospect, he would have been the near-consensus #1 that Adley was. He was not. Just because a guy hits a little better in AA does not make him a better prospect. 

You think Wieters wasn't the clear consensus #1 prospect when he was in the MiLs?

That's either revisionism, or the O's are doing a better job of reaching out to a new generation of children than I gave them credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t think that’s what he said.   He basically said Rutschman can’t be rated any higher than Wieters was as a prospect, because Wieters was ranked no. 1.    I think we can all agree that (1) we are hoping that Rutschman will turn out to be better than Wieters, and (2) while there are reasons to think he could be better, we really won’t know until he gets up here and shows what he can do.  

Yes but not all #1 guys are created equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You think Wieters wasn't the clear consensus #1 prospect when he was in the MiLs?

That's either revisionism, or the O's are doing a better job of reaching out to a new generation of children than I gave them credit for.

He was the #1 prospect in 2009. Adley is the #1 prospect in 2021. Adley is still a better prospect because he has better tools and was the higher draft pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • That's a pretty broad brush to paint an entire generation. I just laid out all the reasons that makes UMD such an attractive job.  Seems like you're the one not paying attention. Gary Williams had MD as a top 10 program for over a decade.  It can surely be done again.
    • Then you aren’t paying attention. BTW, the players of today don’t care about the “storied history”. You ask kids nowadays and some of them don’t even know who Jordan was or how amazing he was.  If they don’t know MJ, they don’t know Bias, Lonnie Baxter and Juan Dixon.
    • I have said it..the advantages the school used to have just aren’t as big a deal anymore and the gap has been closed by other schools. I think MD could return to a top 25 job but I don’t think it is one now or even if  it is, it’s not definitive. The right coach can come in and potentially return the job to a higher status but right now, I don’t think so. Musselman could leave Arkansas.  Oates could leave.  I’d be surprised if Enfield left.  I’d be very surprised if Pearl left.  He’s not going to get better players at MD than he has gotten at Auburn and MD can’t pay…which is part of why the job isn’t as good.  
    • I don't disagree...any return will be a lottery ticket. 
    • Very interesting idea.  I'm guessing you'd have to pair him with a top notch recruiter.
    • They are not going to get a meaningful return for Trey. If they trade him before the season starts, it will be mainly a salary dump. If he has a good first half and they trade him at the deadline, they won’t get much back for him because of his limitations, and because the receiving team only have him for a couple of months. It is possible that Elias may be able to do some Effective horse trading and get an unusual return for Trey, but it remains to be seen whether Mike can do that kind of trading.
    • I'm glad to see him go. Sure he had some good to really good recruiting classes but his offensive scheme was terrible. It seemed they constantly went on scoring droughts regardless of talent level on team. And they always played down to competition or came out looking horrible in the first half and that's on coaching.  Not to mention the way they play offense is just incredibly boring to watch.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...