SteveA

Tuesday, September 14: Yankees come to town

Gametime:  7:05 pm

Forecast:  Hot and muggy, August weather in mid-September

Roster Moves:   Orioles place Tanner Scott on the 10 day injured list with a left knee sprain.   They place Jorge Mateo on the 60 day injured list with a right lumbar inflammation, ending Mateo's season.   Marcos Diplan is recalled from Norfolk to take Scott's place, and Pat Valaika is brought up to replace Mateo, both on the 28 man roster and the 40 man roster.

MatchupGerrit Cole (R) vs Alexander Wells (L)

Lineups

1. DJ LeMahieu (R) 3B
2. Aaron Judge (R) CF
3. Anthony Rizzo (L) 1B
4. Giancarlo Stanton (R) LF
5. Luke Voit (R) DH
6. Joey Gallo (L) RF
7. Gleyber Torres (R) 2B
8. Gio Urshela (R) SS
9. Kyle Higashioka (R) C

1. Cedric Mullins (L) CF
2. Ryan Mountcastle (R) 1B
3. Anthony Santander (S) RF
4. Trey Mancini (R) DH
5. Austin Hays (R) LF
6. Ramon Urias (R) 2B
7. Pedro Severino (R) C
8. Pat Valaika (R) SS
9. Kelvin Gutierrez (R) 3B

Orioles Bench
Jahmai Jones (R)
Richie Martin (S)
Ryan McKenna (R)
DJ Stewart (L)
Austin Wynns (R)

Bullpen Availability

Available
    Fernando Abad*  1.0 IP, 20p Sunday; 0.1 IP, 6p Friday 
    Marcos Diplan 0.2 IP, 19p Saturday; spent the last two days in Norfolk and now recalled
    Conner Greene  1.0 IP, 16p Sunday; 1.2 IP, 30p Friday
    Eric Hanhold 1.2 IP, 34p Sunday
    Cole Sulser  2.0 IP, 37p Friday
    Dillon Tate   1.0 IP, 12p Saturday 
    Spenser Watkins 0.1 IP, 23p Sunday
    Tyler Wells  1.1 IP, 35p Saturday

Not Available
    Michael Baumann 3.0 IP, 67p Sunday

*denotes lefthander

Current Rotation (T=Today, A=Announced, G=Guess)
   T-Alexander Wells, A-Means, A-Ellis, G-Akin, G-Lowther

• Thanks 1

Game Notes

• Ryan Mountcastle has tied Cal Ripken's Oriole record for home runs by a rookie with 28.  One more and he will have the record to himself.
  • Cedric Mullins' pursuit of a 30/30 season continues.   He has 29 HRs and 28 steals with 19 games left.
  • The Orioles are 7-9 vs the Yankees this year.   If they could sweep the Yankees in this series they would win the season series vs New York for the first time since 2016, when they went 10-9 vs New York.   They were 3-7 last year vs the Yankees, 2-17 in 2019, 7-12 in 2018, 7-12 in 2017.
  • The Orioles have just faced Gerrit Cole once this year.  Early in April, he faced off against Dean Kremer.  Cole had 7 4-hit shutout innings and the Yankees won 7-2.
  • The Yankees are percentage points ahead of Boston for the second wild card in the AL, 1 game behind Toronto who is in position for the first wild card.  Seattle is 2.5 games behind the Yankees and Boston, and Oakland is 3 games back.  Seattle and Boston are in the midst of a critical series in Seattle; the Mariners won the first game yesterday.  This is one of many opportunities remaining for the Orioles to play spoiler.
  • The Yankees have just gone 4-12 since their 13 game winning streak August 14-27.   Three of the four wins have been by one run.  Yesterday they played a rainout makup game vs the Twins in New York, fell behind 5-0 by the 6th inning, but rallied to win 6-5 in 10 innings.  They used 4 relievers in yesterday's game (Heaney, Abreu, Chapman, and Holmes).  It was the second straight day for Heaney.
  • Gleyber Torres is moving from short to 2nd today after committing 4 errors at shortstop in the past week, including a critical o ne in a loss to the Mets over the weekend.   Giovanny Urshela is taking over at 2nd.  Torres has 18 errors at short this year, and is also having his worst season at the plate in his career.
  • The Yankees outfield tonight:  LF Giancarlo Stanton, 6'6" 245 lbs;  CF Aaron Judge 6'7", 282 lbs; RF Joey Gallo 6'5" 250.  Has there ever been a 777 pound outfield before in the history of baseball, averaging 6 foot 6 inches in height?
  • Upvote 1

Wells at 22 pitches already. We had a day off yesterday so I hope Hyde is willing to go to the pen early if need be, which will be ~5th inning.

I hope Wells can settle down, though. I’m a fan and would love to see him be Something.

I can’t stand the Oriole announcers so I’m watching the game without sound and I’m only mildly surprised to discover that I’m not missing a thing.

the commentary is so bad that not having it at all is no handicap.

And wow that was a HUGE home run.