Jump to content
Frobby

This choking bullpen is killing me

Recommended Posts

With tonight’s blown save, the Orioles bullpen now has a sub-50% save rate on the season (22/45).    You want to know why this team is worse than we thought they’d be?   Look no further than that.   

I really thought Wells was going to be the guy with the stuff and disposition to close.   And maybe he still will be.   But seeing him blow his second straight opportunity was extremely disheartening.   Last time he just didn’t have it, but I think tonight game down to having lost confidence from the last outing.   You just cannot come in with a one-run lead and walk the leadoff hitter.  Kind’ve tough luck to have it start raining and Gardner’s hit was underwhelming, but still, the walk set up the whole mess.   
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

With tonight’s blown save, the Orioles bullpen now has a sub-50% save rate on the season (22/45).    You want to know why this team is worse than we thought they’d be?   Look no further than that.   

I really thought Wells was going to be the guy with the stuff and disposition to close.   And maybe he still will be.   But seeing him blow his second straight opportunity was extremely disheartening.   Last time he just didn’t have it, but I think tonight game down to having lost confidence from the last outing.   You just cannot come in with a one-run lead and walk the leadoff hitter.  Kind’ve tough luck to have it start raining and Gardner’s hit was underwhelming, but still, the walk set up the whole mess.   
 

Well I saw at least one definite strike that was called a ball.

plus it was raining really hard.

Plus the entire idea of “closer” remains stupid.

I’m just thrilled that Tate didn’t lose the game because that’s exactly what I was expecting.

One of my questions for Elias is why did he keep terrible bullpen guys and acquire other terrible bullpen guys. He’s gotten rid of a few-and not before time, either- but I expect this off-season he’s going to clean house and only Wells and …and….who? Will be on the team next May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed.  A bullpen can come together fast. I want the #1 pick. Let these relievers with no futures bring us home. 

Trial by fire. Either the relievers this year develop into something or they help secure the #1 pick.

It’s almost enough to make me forget about blowing tonight’s game. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The O's have a lot of pitching prospects.  Most of them will fail as starters, in addition to those that are reliever prospects.  Seems the bullpen is almost guaranteed to be better next year.  This is not only the worst pitching in O's history, but the worst bullpen, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philip said:

Well I saw at least one definite strike that was called a ball.

plus it was raining really hard.

Plus the entire idea of “closer” remains stupid.

I’m just thrilled that Tate didn’t lose the game because that’s exactly what I was expecting.

One of my questions for Elias is why did he keep terrible bullpen guys and acquire other terrible bullpen guys. He’s gotten rid of a few-and not before time, either- but I expect this off-season he’s going to clean house and only Wells and …and….who? Will be on the team next May.

Sulser has been pretty good.  Connor Greene is improving as a reliever.  Lopez was good as reliever before he was injured.   Tyler Wells is someone they should not give up on.  Scott had a 2.78 ERA in the 1st half before he hurt his knee.

They just do not have a closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sulser has been pretty good.  Connor Greene is improving as a reliever.  Lopez was good as reliever before he was injured.   Tyler Wells is someone they should not give up on.  Scott had a 2.78 ERA in the 1st half before he hurt his knee.

They just do not have a closer.

Scott has a history of inconsistency. I have zero confidence in Lopez. With Fry and Scott out we do not have a high leverage matchup lefty. Hard to know whether something happened to Fry or if he was pitching over his head before. Bottom line we are short more than just a closer, as you know because you want to bring in multiple veteran relievers. Overall our bullpen ERA is last in MLB at 5.71. It's not every day your team has the worst rotation and worst bullpen but somehow we are on track to accomplish that. It's incredibly frustrating that we get a rare lead or tie up the game and then the bullpen still finds a way to blow it.

I think Sulser, Greene, and Wells are showing enough to deserve a shot to contribute but they are far from guaranteed to be successful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sulser has been pretty good.  Connor Greene is improving as a reliever.  Lopez was good as reliever before he was injured.   Tyler Wells is someone they should not give up on.  Scott had a 2.78 ERA in the 1st half before he hurt his knee.

They just do not have a closer.

I think the bullpen has just been so taxed this year that it’s really hard to even evaluate guys. 
 

Let me make it clear that I want us to have the #1 overall pick. So I don’t care about letting some retread relievers help gets us there. 
 

However, there is hope for next year,

Bautista, Wells, Scott, Sulser, Fry, Burdi, Tate, Fry, Lopez and Harvey. Mix in some of the failed SP and we should have a much improved BP. 
 

A bullpen can only do so well with a terrible rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...