Jump to content
Frobby

162 games of Ryan Mountcastle

Recommended Posts

On 9/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, Tony-OH said:

Interestingly, none were true 1st round (first 30 picks) who have outplayed the Orioles actual 1st rd pick of that draft.

Mountcastle (36th overall pick - $1.3 mil vs DJ Stewart 25th - $2.06 mil) - 2015 draft
Hays (3rd round - $665,800K vs Cody Sedlock 27th - $2.097 mil) - 2016 draft
Mancini (8th round - $151,900K vs Hunter Harvey 22nd - $1.947 mil) - 2013 draft
Mullins (13th round - $100K vs DJ Stewart 25th - $2.06 mil) - 2015 draft

Jordan's later picks tended to outperform his top picks.

 

Yikes. We gave Sedlock 2 million bucks to be awful…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

Actually, at first, he’s pretty bad. At Baseball Savant, he’s ranked 27th of 35 first basemen with -1 runs prevented and -2 OAA. Trey is ranked 15, with zero/zero, which I guess is considered exactly average, and the leader is Rizzi with 6 and 8 respectively. Vlad jr is horrible, with minus 4 and minus 6 respectively, but I think he hits a lot better than MC. Yup, just checked… he hits a bit better than MC. With a WRC of 173 and bWAR of 6.1, the Jays are probably ok with lousy Defense. 

I think we can live with -1.    He’s done a solid job and he’s still learning 1B.   On my list of worries about this team, “Mountcastle’s defense at 1B” isn’t in the top 100.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we can live with -1.    He’s done a solid job and he’s still learning 1B.   On my list of worries about this team, “Mountcastle’s defense at 1B” isn’t in the top 100.    

Defensive metrics for first base are pretty wonky too begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually, at first, he’s pretty bad. At Baseball Savant, he’s ranked 27th of 35 first basemen with -1 runs prevented and -2 OAA. Trey is ranked 15, with zero/zero, which I guess is considered exactly average, and the leader is Rizzi with 6 and 8 respectively. Vlad jr is horrible, with minus 4 and minus 6 respectively, but I think he hits a lot better than MC. Yup, just checked… he hits a bit better than MC. With a WRC of 173 and bWAR of 6.1, the Jays are probably ok with lousy Defense. 

Eh, haha. Ryan seems fine over there to me. I'm not putting too much stock into defensive metrics at 1B for a guy who was inexplicably stuck in LF for the last year or so of his minor league career. He looks athletic, comfortable, makes a few plays, maybe doesn't make some, still learning, etc. Lot of really nice scoops of late. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, interloper said:

Yeah, for sure. And I get that. It's just like, would you call any of those players you named scrubs? I wouldn't. They're decent, if one-note, MLers. Anyway. 

It depends.  If it's a guy like Mountcastle who is still pretty young and has a lot of upside beyond one win, sure, that's not accurate.  But if you're a 27-year-old nearly full time player who's posting a 0.7 win season you probably aren't destined for anything but bench play or a long career in Japan or an indy league.

By 1988 or 1989 Larry Sheets was definitely a scrub, although by then he'd sunk below replacement level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, Philip said:

Yikes. We gave Sedlock 2 million bucks to be awful…

There were 14 players selected after Sedlock through the end of the supplemental round.

Of the 28 players selected near Sedlock (14 before and 14 after), 18 have made the Majors. 12 of them have accrued positive rWAR with a single player accruing more than 3 rWAR (Dodgers catcher Will Smith).

Sedlock may well eventually see some time in a big league bullpen, but at the end of the first round, Major League success is hardly expected, let alone guaranteed.

Definitely been something of a lost year for Sedlock, I am curious what kind of numbers he would have as a reliever, it seems to me that the starter train has left the station.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MurphDogg said:

There were 14 players selected after Sedlock through the end of the supplemental round.

Of the 28 players selected near Sedlock (14 before and 14 after), 18 have made the Majors. 12 of them have accrued positive rWAR with a single player accruing more than 3 rWAR (Dodgers catcher Will Smith).

Sedlock may well eventually see some time in a big league bullpen, he was drafted in the Rule 5 draft this year after all, but at the end of the first round, Major League success is hardly expected, let alone guaranteed.

Definitely been something of a lost year for Sedlock, I am curious what kind of numbers he would have as a reliever, it seems to me that the starter train has left the station.

Sedlock had a serious red flag with his usage right?

Or am I confusing him with someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sedlock had a serious red flag with his usage right?

Or am I confusing him with someone else?

I don't remember that, hopefully someone else does.

Sedlock mostly had injury issues, strained flexor mass in 2017 and Thoracic outlet syndrome in 2018 which is often a career ender but he bounced back to have a great 2019 without surgery. 

He has just given up a ton of home runs this season, he had never really been homer prone before. I wonder whether he has been fully healthy this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't remember that, hopefully someone else does.

Sedlock mostly had injury issues, strained flexor mass in 2017 and Thoracic outlet syndrome in 2018 which is often a career ender but he bounced back to have a great 2019 without surgery. 

He has just given up a ton of home runs this season, he had never really been homer prone before. I wonder whether he has been fully healthy this year.

Found this broken piece of old internet on his 2016 draft page.

 

Quote

From Can_of_corn

Get a load of this.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sedlock's last 5 starts: 10.2 IP, 6.2 IP, 9 IP, 9.1 IP, 9 IP.</p>— JJ Cooper (@jjcoop36)

He's the one I was thinking of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Found this broken piece of old internet on his 2016 draft page.

 

He's the one I was thinking of.

Gotcha, yeah he was a one-year starter for Illinois and he threw 101 and a third innings over 14 starts, which seems pretty wild. Curious to see the pitch counts on those 9 and 9+ inning games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Gotcha, yeah he was a one-year starter for Illinois and he threw 101 and a third innings over 14 starts, which seems pretty wild. Curious to see the pitch counts on those 9 and 9+ inning games.

Ten inning game was 130.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ten inning game was 130.

That is high, but not out of the realm of normalcy for that time period unfortunately.

College and high school coaches really did a number on pitchers arms, although there is a lot more awareness now, so fewer get away with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

That's important, but I think the bigger contextual difference is that Ripken was a 21-year-old shortstop, while Mountcastle is a 24-year-old 1B/DH.  I don't want to sound too down on Mountcastle, because I'm not, but those are epochal differences.

Why are you and Frobby poo pooing Mountcastle's accomplishment? Did I miss where anyone claimed Mountcastle was better than Ripken or that his accomplishment was better than when Ripken made the record? 

He broke it, congrats to him. How this turned into people poo pooing the young man's accomplishment is beyond me.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...