Jump to content
waynebug

Tim Dierkes: Orioles should trade John Means

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think, at least for some folks, is they are hoping they sell.

I've been thinking they would sell a soon as something happens to their father. There's really no other reason to run a team in the ground like they have, and for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I've been thinking they would sell a soon as something happens to their father. There's really no other reason to run a team in the ground like they have, and for so long.

Why sell when you can just keep payroll low and rake in profits?  Team values never go down and demands for teams is always high.  I don't see an incentive to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why sell when you can just keep payroll low and rake in profits?  Team values never go down and demands for teams is always high.  I don't see an incentive to sell.

I don't disagree, but eventually any interest will fall off. I guess there will be profits still, but they may be interested in a chunk and move on with their lives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why sell when you can just keep payroll low and rake in profits?  Team values never go down and demands for teams is always high. I don't see an incentive to sell.

So, as a seller, wouldn’t that be a reason to maximize profit, especially in a business for which you had little interest in its overall success?

Demand for a team in a profitable sports league is high. And they will have made a boatload of money compared to the purchase price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, as a seller, wouldn’t that be a reason to maximize profit, especially in a business for which you had little interest in its overall success?

Demand for a team in a profitable sports league is high. And they will have made a boatload of money compared to the purchase price. 

I'm not saying they won't sell, just that I don't see anything that leads me to believe they will pick one path or the other.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying they won't sell, just that I don't see anything that leads me to believe they will pick one path or the other.

Agreed. No indication one way or the other, which, is also frustrating for many of the fan base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think all these low payroll savings are earmarked for the estate tax and not a front line pitcher in 2023.

Why does estate tax have anything  to do with the O's sale?

Peter is 92.   He has been married to Georgia since 1966.   55 years.   Long before he/they bought the Orioles.   According to White Pages Georgia is 79 years old.

Georgia Angelos
Age 79
Monkton, MD
 
So if there are martial rights from husband to wife which do not require estate taxes why would they  matter?
 
 
 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would we dump money into a team that might now win 50 games?  I’d trade Means and bring in someone other than Holt. Maybe all the pitchers failing isn’t his fault, but someone has to take the fall. Literally no starting pitcher has seized the opportunity, and it looks like they’ve regressed with the yanking up/down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why would we dump money into a team that might now win 50 games?  I’d trade Means and bring in someone other than Holt. Maybe all the pitchers failing isn’t his fault, but someone has to take the fall. Literally no starting pitcher has seized the opportunity, and it looks like they’ve regressed with the yanking up/down. 

So you are suggesting that in year four of the rebuild under Elias the team could still be sitting at a 50- 112 mark?  

That would be getting into historical levels of ineptitude right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Why does estate tax have anything  to do with the O's sale?

Peter is 92.   He has been married to Georgia since 1966.   55 years.   Long before he/they bought the Orioles.   According to White Pages Georgia is 79 years old.

Georgia Angelos
Age 79
Monkton, MD
 
So if there are martial right from husband to wife which do not require estate taxes why would they  matter?
 
 
 
 

 

 

If Peter leaves all his assets to his widow, there will be no estate tax due on his death. (I think the same is true of the Maryland inheritance tax.) Instead, those estate tax obligations will arise upon her death. That is, the estate and inheritance taxes won't go away; they will just get deferred until her death. And there's some prospect that those taxes will be increased as recently introduced legislation wends its way through Congress to possible enactment and go into effect.

Under the MLB Constitution, in order for a bequest of Peter Angelos that his majority interest in the Orioles be left to Georgia Angelos to become effective, Georgia would would to be approved as the new majority owner by a majority of MLB teams. I think it's unlikely that MLB owners would approve Georgia Angelos as the owner of the Orioles, in light of these facts (that is, facts as I understand them): (a) her inexperience in running a sports franchise (or any other business, so far as I know), (b) the lack of income available to her from sources other than baseball, and the financial insecurity of the Orioles franchise and its inability to withstand financial hardships from a work stoppage, pandemic, etc., (c) her husband's and sons' miserable record running the Orioles over the decades, including not only lack of success on the field but also a constant stream of poor decisions that have weakened the franchise and embarrassed MLB, (d) the fact that the Angelos family's ownership of the team will be limited since her estate will be forced to sell the team when she dies, and (e) the personal enmity of the Commissioner and some owners -- I don't know how many -- toward Peter Angelos.

I can imagine that the owners would give Georgia Angelos some time to sell the team -- maybe two or even five years, something like that -- but I would be surprised if they approved her as the owner of the Baltimore Orioles without some strict limitation on that. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I was just about to ask Sports Guy. I see all the speculation about a sale but is there anything concrete anywhere, of any kind, indicating a post mortem sale? 

If estate taxes were actually an issue, why wouldn't the brothers just sell minority interests and keep the majority?

Well, you have to have the desire to keep it and there are issues with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

 

If Peter leaves all his assets to his widow, there will be no estate tax due on his death. (I think the same is true of the Maryland inheritance tax.) Instead, those estate tax obligations will arise upon her death. That is, the estate and inheritance taxes won't go away; they will just get deferred until her death. And there's some prospect that those taxes will be increased as recently introduced legislation wends its way through Congress to possible enactment and go into effect.

Under the MLB Constitution, in order for a bequest of Peter Angelos that his majority interest in the Orioles be left to Georgia Angelos to become effective, Georgia would would to be approved as the new majority owner by a majority of MLB teams. I think it's unlikely that MLB owners would approve Georgia Angelos as the owner of the Orioles, in light of these facts (that is, facts as I understand them): (a) her inexperience in running a sports franchise (or any other business, so far as I know), (b) the lack of income available to her from sources other than baseball, and the financial insecurity of the Orioles franchise and its inability to withstand financial hardships from a work stoppage, pandemic, etc., (c) her husband's and sons' miserable record running the Orioles over the decades, including not only lack of success on the field but also a constant stream of poor decisions that have weakened the franchise and embarrassed MLB, (d) the fact that the Angelos family's ownership of the team will be limited since her estate will be forced to sell the team when she dies, and (e) the personal enmity of the Commissioner and some owners -- I don't know how many -- toward Peter Angelos.

I can imagine that the owners would give Georgia Angelos some time to sell the team -- maybe two or even five years, something like that -- but I would be surprised if they approved her as the owner of the Baltimore Orioles without some strict limitation on that. 

 

 

I question your 2nd paragraph.   If Georgia becomes owner with John as Orioles Executive he has already been officially name to running the team.   He has been involved with the team through he 2012-2016 period where they won more games than any team in the League.   That is a measure of success.  John has also managed MASN.

As far as the MASN lawsuit with MLB.  This sounds like a good reason to settle the issue without the Angelos Suing MLB yet again for not allowing them to continue as owners.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2021 at 3:32 PM, waynebug said:

There's also the issue that if you extend him you're buying into his age 32 season.

Dierkes is the owner and creator of MLB Trade Rumors.  He gets 100s of thousands of views every day.

Today's Mailbag was for subscribers only.  I think I pay $3 a month.

"Quint" asked  would he trade Means and what could he expect to get in return.   He mentioned outfielder Robert Hassell of the Padres currently the #37 prospect in somebody's eyes. 

I would trade Means for Hassell in a heartbeat. Hassell is going to be a stud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Cardinals were smart enough not to resign Pujols when he hit his 30’s knowing he would never be able to match the production from the first decade of his career. With the way the Orioles have operated during the Angelos era they almost certainly resign a player of that caliber. It’s a mistake you can’t make when you’re not the Yankees or Dodgers. The Cardinals usually avoid these kind of crippling moves and that keeps them competitive. With Elias hopefully we see that with the O’s. 
    • Marte, who may considered the best CF option via FA, was just signed by the Mets.
    • On the contrary, it is completely true. The team will have ebbs and flows, based on random chance And misfortune such as is happening to Kjested right now, But if you avoid long-term contracts, all of which are stupid, trade your guys at peak value and restock the farm, and there’s no reason why you can’t continually be a positive team. The Cardinals do it and they never have a single digit draft choice they always draft in the high teens, and yet they still have a good team over and over.
    • Going into 2009, Tillman was BA’s no. 22 prospect, Matusz no. 25, Arrieta no. 67.   Britton wasn’t ranked yet but was no. 63 the next year.  Brad Bergesen was the reigning Eastern League pitcher of the year.   David Hernandez had led the league. In strikeouts.   So, it was a more impressive group than your post suggests.   
    • Even worse living with the knowledge that Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. could have been the Orioles owner all this time, but thanks to Peter Angelos outbidding him it never happened. 
    • Nothing happens til it happens, but can we glean anything meaningful from what the insiders say?   ”Listening to offers” means nothing. Does anyone NOT listen to offers? However, that’s probably indicates less interest than a term like… ”Dangling.” What does that mean? Is GM A calling up GM B and saying,” hey, I got this hot guy, and he can be yours! All I need is XX.” Is GM A being coy and hitting that MAAAAAAYBE he’ll listen…? Regardless, it probably indicates more desire to trade, but maybe not as much as… “Eager to deal” or “seeking the best matchup” which is where GM A is calling up everyone in the Rolodex and saying,” Have I got a deal for you! AND if you ACT NOW…no? Well, how about……etc etc” All  those terms indicate at least partially dealing from a position of “I don’t have to” “I’m in no hurry” “if you don’t, someone else will,” and so on. But pity the guys who… ”Are willing to eat most of the contract…” the fools who rush in, and then find it veeeeery expensive to rush back out.. poor San Diego would be less poor if they hadn’t flung all that cash at Mr Hosmer, but they did, and he has been smiling ever since…and they..” are willing to eat most of his contract” Anyway, where does that leave the Orioles? We’re listening. Sure we are. Everyone listens except your cat in the backyard who doesn’t want to come in yet. We are “dangling”…. That means we’re listening a bit more earnestly, but still it’s our call. Nothing will happen unless it’s very good for the Bmore boys. So let’s see what kind of horse trader Mike is, and what can he bring home in return for the shiny bauble he is dangling…
    • I think we are going to have to get some favorable results from our own young pitchers to improve significantly in 2022. Last year was a bottom 20% outcome in that regard compared to the range of possible outcomes from that group.    If things break the other way in 2022 we could see a lot more wins.   But you can’t just expect that to happen given their performance to date.   
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...