waynebug

Tim Dierkes: Orioles should trade John Means

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I could see them working out a deal in which she is allowed to own the team in return for them selling their majority share in MASN.

Why would the other owners agree to that? What's in it for them, or for MLB?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The MASN lawsuit gets settled.

Why do the other owners care about getting the MASN lawsuit settled? It's a financial dispute between the Orioles and the Washington Baseball Team, with no financial impact on the 28 other teams. If MLB contributes anything to the legal costs, it's probably minimal.

I can think of only one qualification. The Commissioner was, or acted like he was, really pissed that the Orioles brought the MASN lawsuit, because he was offended that MLB's authority to determine the rights fees paid by MASN was being challenged and because the lawsuit led to public disclosure of financial information. That resentment may continue and, as I said before, could be a factor against approving the transfer of majority ownership to another Angelos.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should trade Mullins this offseason. Build Hays up as a CF. Trade him at the deadline. Count our future prospects gained, then see what we have in McKenna and Watson. Both with big time MILB numbers this year. 

I wish we could put the myth of “big time MiLB numbers” to bed. It doesn’t mean nothing, but it doesn’t mean much. I love McKenna. He can run and he can glove like few, but he hits as well as I do, and his MiLB numbers mean much less than his MLB numbers. He’s David Lough with greater speed and less bat.

10 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I would trade Means for Hassell in a heartbeat. Hassell is going to be a stud.

The O's are going to have 10 stud outfielders and no starting pitchers.  Maybe some of the outfielders can be converted to pitchers?

6 hours ago, Philip said:

I wish we could put the myth of “big time MiLB numbers” to bed. It doesn’t mean nothing, but it doesn’t mean much. I love McKenna. He can run and he can glove like few, but he hits as well as I do, and his MiLB numbers mean much less than his MLB numbers. He’s David Lough with greater speed and less bat.

I don't think it is time to pass judgement of McKenna.  He has 135 AB in the majors and he is 24 years old.  

11 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I really doubt that. What issues?

What I mean is, it’s easy to say sell this or sell that or whatever but you have to want to do that.  

The Nashville stuff, imo, has never been real but they do have other interests that have to do with the music business.  

Im just not sure the kids really want to own the team.  They will make their profits off of it for now but I think they need/want the money from the sale of the team. 

Now, once their dad dies and they are able to do more things, we will see what route they take.  But for now, expect them to keep costs low and then, assuming this info is correct and they don’t change their minds, hope that the team is sold quickly.  

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What I mean is, it’s easy to say sell this or sell that or whatever but you have to want to do that.  

The Nashville stuff, imo, has never been real but they do have other interests that have to do with the music business.  

Im just not sure the kids really want to own the team.  They will make their profits off of it for now but I think they need/want the money from the sale of the team. 

Now, once their dad dies and they are able to do more things, we will see what route they take.  But for now, expect them to keep costs low and then, assuming this info is correct and they don’t change their minds, hope that the team is sold quickly.  

This is based on what?

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Why do the other owners care about getting the MASN lawsuit settled? It's a financial dispute between the Orioles and the Washington Baseball Team, with no financial impact on the 28 other teams. If MLB contributes anything to the legal costs, it's probably minimal.

I can think of only one qualification. The Commissioner was, or acted like he was, really pissed that the Orioles brought the MASN lawsuit, because he was offended that MLB's authority to determine the rights fees paid by MASN was being challenged and because the lawsuit led to public disclosure of financial information. That resentment may continue and, as I said before, could be a factor against approving the transfer of majority ownership to another Angelos.

I disagree and think MLB would find value in it.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is based on what?

Like I said, some info I heard but to be honest, the info I heard goes in line with what some have thought w/r/t the broadcasting stuff, penny pinching, etc…let’s just say that it’s a sign of things to come it sounds like.

August 20, 2021

Question:  Will you add FA this off season?

Mike Elias:   When the time comes that those are  the best uses of our resources and efforts possibly  as soon as this off season we will ratchet up those invests......  (8.20 in the recording)

We will hope to approach this off season with some acquisitions that will help improve our major league team...  (14:00 in the recording)

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

August 20, 2021

Question:  Will you add FA this off season?

Mike Elias:   When the time comes that those are  the best uses of our resources and efforts possibly  as soon as this off season we will ratchet up those invests......  (8.20 in the recording)

We will hope to approach this off season with some acquisitions that will help improve our major league team...  (14:00 in the recording)

They may spend a little money here and there but they won’t be grabbing anything significant and they may also sign guys at the expense of losing guys like Mancini and Santander.  

We’ll see but I’m not expecting much.  I do think, and this is just my personal opinion, that they will spend a little more on payroll in 2022 vs 2021.  Doesn’t mean it will be an impact because of what they likely will sign but I do think they do some things.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They may spend a little money here and there but they won’t be grabbing anything significant and they may also sign guys at the expense of losing guys like Mancini and Santander.  

We’ll see but I’m not expecting much.  I do think, and this is just my personal opinion, that they will spend a little more on payroll in 2022 vs 2021.  Doesn’t mean it will be an impact because of what they likely will sign but I do think they do some things.

If you mean by losing, trading Mancini and/or Santander then they will get something back for them probably that they need.

I don't expect the O's to spend big on an one FA but if they can add a decent infielder and a reliever or two that will help.   Mike  will be trying to figure out the best way to get a starter whether that is FA, trade or whatever.