connja

Rate O’s young LHP candidates

14 minutes ago, connja said:

Akin, A Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman….any of these guys long term pieces?  Been a rough season for all 4.

Hopefully a BP piece and maybe a back end starter in there. Zimmerman as the back end guy, Lowther as a BP guy. Akin...maybe in somewhere. A Wells doesn't really look useful anywhere.

18 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Hopefully a BP piece and maybe a back end starter in there. Zimmerman as the back end guy, Lowther as a BP guy. Akin...maybe in somewhere. A Wells doesn't really look useful anywhere.

Send Wells back to Australia to become a scout.

2 hours ago, connja said:

Akin, A Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman….any of these guys long term pieces?  Been a rough season for all 4.

This group is equivalent to scrap metal - maybe we find a useful piece in the bullpen. 

Edited by Chaka Garcia

I really want to give Lowther a mulligan on this year and see what happens next year. I think Zimmermann may be okay as a No.5 starter/swing guy. As for Akin and Wells, I'm not quite ready to give up on either yet, but I see Wells as Eshleman for the next year or two, on and off the roster. I don't see him as having much use other than being a fresh arm now and again on a team that struggles on the mound. Each time I'm ready to give upon Akin for good, he shows just enough of a glimpse of something. 

Overall, I don't see any real starters of the bunch unless Zimmermann can stick as a No.5, but maybe a couple long-men or useable arms...maybe. 

• Upvote 2

I mean Zimmermann by far had the best statistical year of the 4.  Based on that alone I don't think he should lumped in with Akin/Lowther/Wells.

I think with all 3 of the latter trio, we didn't see them at their best this year.  Akin was always a back end/swingman type.  I think we've seen glimpses of results from him.  Lowther just never got on track this year, possibly due to being bounced around so much earlier in the year.  Way too many walks.  And Wells has not yet shown the command in the majors that he did in the minors. He's walked 13 guys in 31 innings.  That's not the Wells that was so effective in the minors.

I think the lost year hurt Lowther and Wells in particular.  No real reason to give up on any of these guys just yet.  I gave up on Chris Tillman and he went on to become the ace of the only good teams we've had in the past 2 decades.  Let them have a "normal" offseason, reset, and see how they look next spring.

Let’s give the numbers for context:

Akin 89.2 IP, 6.93 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, 1.7 HR/9, 3.7 BB/9, 7.6 K9

Zimmermann 59.2 IP, 4.83 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 1.8 HR/9, 3.0 BB/9, 8.0 K/9

Wells 31.2 IP, 7.96 ERA, 1.83 WHIP, 2.3 HR/9, 3.7 BB/9, 6.5 K/9

Lowther 19.2 IP, 9.61 ERA, 1.83 WHIP, 2.3 HR/9, 5.0 BB/9, 9.9 K/9

I mean, those stink.   Zimmermann honestly was about as good as I expected, and put up respectable back of the rotation numbers.   My hope for him is he can just continue doing what he was doing before getting hurt.

Of the other three, I have the most hope for Akin.   He’s been a little better of late, and he seems a little less prone to leaving his mistakes where they won’t get clobbered.   Wells and Lowther are going to need to be MUCH sharper than they’ve shown to have any level of success.

I haven’t given up on anyone, but I can’t say I’m optimistic about any of them.

• Upvote 1

I happen to believe that Wells has got the best chance out of all of them.   The most important element to any pitcher, IMO, is fastball command.  Akin has it at times.     I think Wells is probably the best of the bunch in that category but I just think it's going to take some patience with him as he gets comfortable and gains some consistency at the ML level.    Last year, Akin could dominate an inning or two when he was on.    Again, it's all about spotting his fastball.   That's what sets John Means apart.  He's the most consistent with spotting his fastball and other pitches as well but mostly the fastball.   All of these guys did very well in AA but Wells and Lowther have never had the chance to put a full AAA season in.   

• Upvote 1