Sign in to follow this  
Nuclear Dish

2007 Recruiting Updates

A few things:

1. Lance Thomas, who is one of the 2-3 premier unsigned seniors (Class of 2006) eliminated Wake Forest from his list, leaving only Rutgers, Dook, Arizona, and Florida.

2. Julian Vaughn, who I list as my #14 prospect for 2007, visited Wake Forest this week, and seemed to enjoy himself enough that they will be contenders. Considering that neither UNC nor Dook has made him an unconditional offer yet, he is smart to extend his options. He seems to want to go to an ACC school, and GT, Maryland, Miami, and NC State have also all offered him already.

3. Samardo Samuels, who is the top C prospect (#2 overall) for 2008 is down to 3 schools: UConn, St. John's, and Rutgers. He's basically waiting for a firm offer from UConn. He'll accept as soon as he gets one. If it never comes (it'll come), he'll probably choose to stay in NJ at Rutgers. It is assumed that as soon as an official offer from UNC comes in for 2008 #1 overall Tyreke Evans, he will accept.

A few things:

1. Lance Thomas, who is one of the 2-3 premier unsigned seniors (Class of 2006) eliminated Wake Forest from his list, leaving only Rutgers, Dook, Arizona, and Florida.

Any signs as to where he is going? Like FLORIDA???

Any signs as to where he is going? Like FLORIDA???

Dook seems to be the most likely choice. But he can't seem to break away from home and leave the notion of going to Rutgers behind. And Arizona thinks it still has a shot, although it's a longshot. If he was going to go to Arizona, he'd have announced in the fall.

If he chooses Florida, I'll be shocked. I think they have the least chance of the 4.

A few things:

2. Julian Vaughn, who I list as my #14 prospect for 2007, visited Wake Forest this week, and seemed to enjoy himself enough that they will be contenders. Considering that neither UNC nor Dook has made him an unconditional offer yet, he is smart to extend his options. He seems to want to go to an ACC school, and GT, Maryland, Miami, and NC State have also all offered him already.

3. Samardo Samuels, who is the top C prospect (#2 overall) for 2008 is down to 3 schools: UConn, St. John's, and Rutgers. He's basically waiting for a firm offer from UConn. He'll accept as soon as he gets one. If it never comes (it'll come), he'll probably choose to stay in NJ at Rutgers. It is assumed that as soon as an official offer from UNC comes in for 2008 #1 overall Tyreke Evans, he will accept.

2008? LOL

Amazing how far down these guys go.

Recruiting middle schoolers and whatnot.

2008? LOL

Amazing how far down these guys go.

Recruiting middle schoolers and whatnot.

I hate to tell you, but 2008 guysa re sophomores in high school right now.

The lists aren't out for that class yet, but next fall, they become the primary targets, as most players today sign in the early period.

One thing they do know, generally by the time these guysa re freshmen, is who the top 2 or 3 players are. Tyreke Evans is easily the #1 guy in that class.

And, yes, there are a few guys who they know about even in middle school. 2 that come to mind off the top ofmy head are Shaq and Kenny Anderson. Both were featured in Sports Illustrated when they were in middle school.

Jamelle Horne, 6'7" (#12 SF) #22/NR1 (4.5 stars)

Committed to Arizona over Louisville and UConn. Horne joins PG Jerryd Bayless (#11) and 7'1" C Alex Jacobson (#88) as part of the top recruiting class thus far for 2007.

1Scout only ranks their top 50 overall so far, which accouts for Horne's NR. He is very likely in the 50-60 range presently.

Jeremy Wise, 6'2" (NR PG) NR/NR (2.5 stars)

Wise had signed a LOI in 2005 to go to Mississippi State, but he failed to qualify. He has now decided to go to George Washington, and should enroll for 2006-7.

I hate to tell you, but 2008 guysa re sophomores in high school right now.

The lists aren't out for that class yet, but next fall, they become the primary targets, as most players today sign in the early period.

One thing they do know, generally by the time these guysa re freshmen, is who the top 2 or 3 players are. Tyreke Evans is easily the #1 guy in that class.

And, yes, there are a few guys who they know about even in middle school. 2 that come to mind off the top ofmy head are Shaq and Kenny Anderson. Both were featured in Sports Illustrated when they were in middle school.

That seems ridiculous. It's like my peers are being recruited to go and paly college basketball when they haven't even passed Algebra 2 yet! I don't see how these scouts can tell that one guy is so amazing when most of them are still going to grow 3 more inches! I think they should wait untill they are at least juniors before getting them to sign LOI. And from the kids perspective, I would not want to make my decision that early. I would want to wait and weigh my options.

Not sure of the basis for this list.

I know Indiana C Greg Oden - an OSU commit should be a borderline top 5 guy.

Indiana is pretty solid with a top 20 recruit from Texas as long as Mike Davis is around. Kid's last name is Arthur.

Where would you rank Jeff Jones, 4star '07 SG committed to MD?

From what I've heard, most have him around Top 75, with expectations that he will move up to Top 40 before he lands at College Park.. do you agree?

I know MD also has signed, 4star '07 Dino Gregory from MtStJoe.. probably outside the top 100 right now... people seem to like his game, but at 6'7 question whether he has the size required to star as PF in the ACC.

What about Malcom Delaney.. 4star '07 PG from Towson Catholic... believe MD current leads for him.. thoughts?

Also saw you weren't listing MD as in with Koufos... has he made it 'known' MD is out?

Last I heard, with family in MD and frontcourt openings... MD was trailing only Ohio St..

Any event, combined with what MD has coming in for '06 in Hayes, Milbourne, Vasquez, Burney... I'm happy with what has been inked so far for '07 in Dupree, Jones, and Gregory.

Sounds like MD has made a concerted effort to get players with high basketball IQ's..

From what I understand, MD is still in it with Koufas.

Not sure of the basis for this list.

I know Indiana C Greg Oden - an OSU commit should be a borderline top 5 guy.

Indiana is pretty solid with a top 20 recruit from Texas as long as Mike Davis is around. Kid's last name is Arthur.

The basis for this list is 2007 recruits. Oden, Arthur, et al. are 2006 recruits. For that you might refer to this thread.

Where would you rank Jeff Jones, 4star '07 SG committed to MD?

From what I've heard, most have him around Top 75, with expectations that he will move up to Top 40 before he lands at College Park.. do you agree?

Somewhere between 70 and 80, I'd say. I can see him moving up, but not as high as 40, I don't think. The truth is I haven't been hearing anything so spectacular about him so far, but it's possible that after next summer's camps he could skyrocket if he's as good as you say.

I know MD also has signed, 4star '07 Dino Gregory from MtStJoe.. probably outside the top 100 right now... people seem to like his game, but at 6'7 question whether he has the size required to star as PF in the ACC.

I don't think Gregory will be anything more than filler.

What about Malcom Delaney.. 4star '07 PG from Towson Catholic... believe MD current leads for him.. thoughts?

Delaney has great size for a PG, but he'll be nothing more than a backup to Eric Hayes if he chooses Maryland. He's a good player, but Hayes has the potential to be special. I hear it's mostly between MD, UVA, and WF for him.

Also saw you weren't listing MD as in with Koufos... has he made it 'known' MD is out?

Last I heard, with family in MD and frontcourt openings... MD was trailing only Ohio St..

I'm hearing Louisville has jumped into the lead along with Ohio St. He made an unofficial visit to Louisville in November, and then went back in December for an official visit. Also, I expect that if Dook make him an offer, he'll have to consider it.

I think Maryland is still in the running, but I'd list them in the next group along with Michigan.

Any event, combined with what MD has coming in for '06 in Hayes, Milbourne, Vasquez, Burney... I'm happy with what has been inked so far for '07 in Dupree, Jones, and Gregory.

Sounds like MD has made a concerted effort to get players with high basketball IQ's..

You should be happy with these two classes. Neither class is top 10, but both have enough depth to create a core of solid players who will keep Maryland a contender in the ACC. I just don't think thse classes are the type to make them serious contenders on the national scene, but Gary has proven before that he doesn't need top-ranked recruits to win a title.

Anything new on the Terp front?

I think they'd really like to get Michael Sanchez or Eric Wallace at SF, but I think their chances on either of them is pretty slim. They have a good shot at Corey Raji, though, and have made him an offer.

They have shown interest in Anthony McClain, a 7'1" C, but he's looking seriously at Georgetown, and I don't think Maryland will ever be a serious consideration for him.

I think they will get either Miles Beatty or Malcolm Delaney to commit at PG. They are both good guards, but again, not as dynamic as Eric Hayes. I think Beatty will depend on whether Kansas or UConn come through with offers. If not, I think he'll choose Maryland. But with Hayes in the stable, these guys aren't interested in getting blocked.

Nuclear - I took out the parts that related to the Terps, and posted it on a Terp board I frequent... here is the link if you want to follow along to their responses:

http://mb21.scout.com/fmaryland43696frm6.showMessage?topicID=57811.topic

BTW, they are correct that I do not have any personal inside connections and am just repeating things I have read from a variety of national (and local) recruiting sources.

I also admittedly do not get to see many of these games myself, since I'm living in Canada, so my snap judgements are also based on my extensive research.

But my info is from more than just Scout and Rivals. I use Prepstars, Thad "The Mummy" Mumau, Clint Jackson, and others to fill out my perceptions. I also read numerous boards and weigh and research as best I can the various rumors there. For example, the Beasley rumor of having de-committed from Charlotte is simply not true. Is he considering it? Maybe, but there's no direct information to indicate that at this time.

I am simply providing as much info as I have access to on behalf of the college basketball fans on this site. I would expect avid Maryland fans to have more access to inside info than I do (such as mweb08 often does), and I often use their sources as the basis for my reports.

I make a point of not posting my recruiting reports on any specific team site, as it makes no sense for me to regurgitate to them things they are probably reading already, or even know more than. I don't expect people on a baseball board such as OH to necessarily be following recruiting as much as they do on the Terps board, so I offer my collection of info to them as a favor to the community.

As for the guy who pointed out that Freeman was missing, he's right. Notice I had him listed in my notes about the guys from MD who had committed elsewhere. It was simply a mistake in my haste to get the list out. I meant to include him at #27, between Washington and Jardine.

Also, these are very rough, very early lists. I fully expect the list to change with time, as will all the other recruiting sites. Again, my list is a conglomeration of various lists into my own personal top 45. I fully expect a guy like Leonard Washington to fall and a guy like Freeman to move up based on their performances so far this year, and based on their performances in summer camps.

As for Jones, he could be a top 40 talent, but he's just not showing that so far. Even the guys on that board are saying he's not putting his heart into it enough right now. How does he expect to move up that high without the effort?