Legend_Of_Joey

Minor League Coaching Shakeup: Kendall, Steenstra, Mills out

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seemed like all the O's AA prospects promoted to AAA stumbled.  Not saying its all the pitching coach's fault, but when results were that bad, a change needed to be made. 

Or they aren’t as good as it seems.

AAA hitters tend to be better than AA and there is the difference in the ball, too.

• Like 1

Nobody has made the joke that they need the extra money because they unexpectedly got the #1 pick and the higher pool allotment?

Someone is slipping!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You've made this comment a few times now. Do you honestly believe this is the case? If so, that's pretty ridiculous IMO. 

Because they didn't say that coaching changes last season were because of money?

Oh wait they did admit that.

Why is it ridiculous to think they are doing it again?

Is it a ridiculous way to do business?  I think so.

• Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they didn't say that coaching changes last season were because of money?

I do not think the team said that publicly.  I believe the pitching coach Doug Brocail said that’s what he was told.   You’ve always put more credence in that than I have.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At most this amounts to a few thousand dollars. I think it's MUCH more likely that Elias and Hyde want to find the right mix of coaches and install their guys. To assume that they are making coaching decisions based solely on salary is beyond ridiculous. They're trying to develop players for a winning team - it's absurd to think they would undermine that because there's a few thousand bucks to be saved with the guys who are responsible for aiding the development of the team. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They admitted nothing.  It was the coach who CLAIMED he was let go due to money concerns.  Maybe it's true, and they are pinching every penny.  Maybe they told him that instead of telling him he sucks and they are going a better direction.  Maybe it was sour grapes on his part and money was never mentioned.  We don't know.  We know what the ex-employee said, but taking it as gospel truth is a stretch IMO.

30 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

They admitted nothing.  It was the coach who CLAIMED he was let go due to money concerns.  Maybe it's true, and they are pinching every penny.  Maybe they told him that instead of telling him he sucks and they are going a better direction.  Maybe it was sour grapes on his part and money was never mentioned.  We don't know.  We know what the ex-employee said, but taking it as gospel truth is a stretch IMO.

But it isn't ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't ridiculous.

I agree.   You’ve got evidence to back up your opinion.  How strong that evidence is, is open to debate.   But I wouldn’t say your opinion is ridiculous.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't ridiculous.

I never said it was ridiculous.  I would have said it is far fetched and viewing things in the worse possible light, but not completely outside of the realm of possibility, so perhaps not ridiculous.  I simply don't buy that they are spending millions of dollars drafting these players to then worry about a couple 1000 or even 10000s of dollars when it comes to getting coaches who can then develop said players.  Sure, if you can get just as good of a coach at a better price, go for it...that's smart business.  But to act like they are going to get the bottom tier of coaches because that's all they are willing to afford flies in the face of the investments they have been making in players, technology, facilities, etc.  

All that said, no one in a position with the Orioles ever claimed they were cutting coaches due to money concerns.  We have one ex-employee who did say as much, and we don't know if he had an axe to grind or not.  There are clearly budget issues and restrictions with the team, or at the very least they aren't spending money where some fans think they should be (free agents, upgrading minor league camera for TV viewership, etc).  But it's not right to claim the team admitted to doing something they didn't admit to doing.  If YOU want to believe the ex-coach, as it reinforces what you think the team is doing, that is your right of course.  But it doesn't make it necessarily true.  It COULD be...and it could not be.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I never said it was ridiculous.  I would have said it is far fetched and viewing things in the worse possible light, but not completely outside of the realm of possibility, so perhaps not ridiculous.  I simply don't buy that they are spending millions of dollars drafting these players to then worry about a couple 1000 or even 10000s of dollars when it comes to getting coaches who can then develop said players.  Sure, if you can get just as good of a coach at a better price, go for it...that's smart business.  But to act like they are going to get the bottom tier of coaches because that's all they are willing to afford flies in the face of the investments they have been making in players, technology, facilities, etc.  

All that said, no one in a position with the Orioles ever claimed they were cutting coaches due to money concerns.  We have one ex-employee who did say as much, and we don't know if he had an axe to grind or not.  There are clearly budget issues and restrictions with the team, or at the very least they aren't spending money where some fans think they should be (free agents, upgrading minor league camera for TV viewership, etc).  But it's not right to claim the team admitted to doing something they didn't admit to doing.  If YOU want to believe the ex-coach, as it reinforces what you think the team is doing, that is your right of course.  But it doesn't make it necessarily true.  It COULD be...and it could not be.  

Interloper said it was, then you decided to downvote my rebuttal.

Sorry if I assumed you agreed with his take.  😉

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

I'm pretty skeptical by nature but I don't see what the fired coach had to gain by lying about it.  Coaches get fired all the time, what's the gain for him?  If it was untrue why wouldn't the Orioles have come out and set the record straight? 

The only reason I see not to take him at face value is if you don't want what he said to be true.

The O's are showing an odd pattern of cutting what are generally seen as minimal costs.

My guess is that they can move out the old guys and bring in hungry young guys that will work longer hours for less money.