Frobby

Kevin Goldstein 10/4 chat on O’s topics

For some reason, Kevin Goldstein got a lot of questions about the O’s today (forgive the formatting):

Cakes&Kakes: I know comps are lazy, but I’m going to ask anyways. Is Ryan Mountcastle the second coming of Mark Trumbo?
:01
Kevin Goldstein: I don’t hate this at all, which is about the strongest compliment I can give a comp.

Marc: If the Orioles make the highest bid on a SP, how likely is he to decline due to losing/strength of schedule/small park factors? Or do most FAs just care about the highest bid?

Kevin Goldstein: Yeah, it’s tough to go from 0 to 60 that quick. Big FAs want to win or think that they can. First step for BAL would be signing a good FA as opposed to an elite one.

Angelus Novus: How sold are you on Hays as maybe a second division regular? Any upside there?

Kevin Goldstein: Yes; not really.

Marc: Why’d the Britton trade fall through for Houston?

Kevin Goldstein: LONG STORY. Ugh. You just ruined my day, Marc!

I sat through this whole chat as well and tried to get about a thousand Orioles questions in there, to no avail. He also was asked if there were teams he hated dealing with and only said something like "Ugh THAT TEAM". For some reason I immediately connected it to the Britton comment and figured, yeah, dealing with Duquette-era Orioles probably sucked pretty bad. 😂

Ehh....I think RMC should be better than Trumbo.  I can see why that comp is made (not great defenders, though RMC has come into his own at 1B...sluggers, high strikeouts, not great at OBP) but I think RMC is already better than Trumbo was in his best years except 2016.

I may or may not have been the submitter of this question.    Would love Greinke as Sutcliffe guy no matter how slow he throws, but unlike Syndergaard, he has nothing to prove to the market where the perverse incentive of being a 2022 Oriole pitcher might operate in our favor.     Goldstein also volunteered NYY/TEX as Correa favorites.

11:33
Phil: Any guess among Correa, Verlander or Greinke who is best shot for Astros to retain for 2022?   Are the young Latin arms successful enough where for Click the SS is a somewhat clear priority?
11:33
Kevin Goldstein: I think they’re all gonzo.

That seems to be a wildly negative take on Austin Hays imo.

He's a second division regular with no upside?

That's pretty absurd as he was better than that this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I agree with you. I think that was a lazy assessment. 

26 and somewhat healthy this season and he put up a 3.2bWAR. I don't know how much higher he can go, but that's a pretty decent full season.

23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

When Hays was healthy the last half of the year, he put up well over an .800 OPS w/ gold glove defense.  What is a first division regular, Mike Trout?  Even Mike Trout wouldn't make the cutoff this year. 

Hays should be dangled in trades this offseason for a cost controlled starter or IFer…use him as part of the deal.

Really like Hays and would be happy if he was an everyday OFer for us next year but I don’t trust him to stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

When Hays was healthy the last half of the year, he put up well over an .800 OPS w/ gold glove defense.  What is a first division regular, Mike Trout?  Even Mike Trout wouldn't make the cutoff this year. 

The biggest concern is his splits this year.   He destroyed LH pitching and was not particularly good vs RH pitching.   And RH pitchers make up 70=% of the guys you will face (though the ALE has a lot of LH starters).

Now splits can vary widely from year to year, but it is a bit of a concern.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I agree, but he has to continue to stay healthy. With continuity, there is some more there, I think. Hays became pull happy at times in the second half, and was off balance often. He pulled off many pitches on the outer half. In years past, he had more power to all fields. The swing did become shorter, and it seemed like he chased less. He still has more to prove, but 2022 should give us a more definitive answer. 

Well now I know one pretty good source to go whenever I want to be more depressed about the O's - though I expect his views are pretty much the same as all the national experts.  

On 10/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, Sports Guy said:

Hays should be dangled in trades this offseason for a cost controlled starter or IFer…use him as part of the deal.

Really like Hays and would be happy if he was an everyday OFer for us next year but I don’t trust him to stay healthy.

I think there is a case for Hays and/or Santander to be traded when Stowers and Neustrom are ready for the majors.  However neither are just yet.  

Just now, wildcard said:

I think there is a case for Hays and/or Santander to be traded when Stowers and Neustrom are ready for the majors.  However either are just yet.  

So what?  If you can get a position of true need, you make the move.  I’m much more concerned about filling the rotation and/or the IF than I am the OF.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think there is a case for Hays and/or Santander to be traded when Stowers and Neustrom are ready for the majors.  However either are just yet.  

Trading Hays because of either of those two would be incredibly stupid. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So what?  If you can get a position of true need, you make the move.  I’m much more concerned about filling the rotation and/or the IF than I am the OF.

The idea is to fill holes not create them.

• Like 1