DocJJ

My 2021 preseason hopes and dreams: 60%

1. A young talented player would "emerge" as a bona fide solid everyday player.  CHECK.

I was thinking this would be Santander or Hays.   Turned out Mullins was the guy.

2. Rodriguez and Rutschman would have great years.  CHECK.

3. Heston Kjerstad would tear the cover off the ball.  MISS.

4. We would stumble into a great starting pitcher besides Means.  MISS.

5. Mountcastle would have a good year. CHECK.

6. We would get the #1 draft pick. CHECK. (I didn't want us to have the worst record in baseball, but I figured we were a lock for last in the AL East so might as well get some benefit out of it!)

7. SOMEONE would knock the Yankees out of the playoffs. CHECK. (I hate the Sox too, but I hate the Yankees just a bit more....)

8. Our top draft pick this year would have a good start to his career. CHECK. 

9. Hunter Harvey would lock down the closer job.  MISS.

10. Yusniel Diaz would finally put it all together and break out. MISS.

So, I got 6 out of 10 of my wishes. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, DocJJ said:

1. A young talented player would "emerge" as a bona fide solid everyday player.  CHECK.

I was thinking this would be Santander or Hays.   Turned out Mullins was the guy.

2. Rodriguez and Rutschman would have great years.  CHECK.

3. Heston Kjerstad would tear the cover off the ball.  MISS.

4. We would stumble into a great starting pitcher besides Means.  MISS.

5. Mountcastle would have a good year. CHECK.

6. We would get the #1 draft pick. CHECK. (I didn't want us to have the worst record in baseball, but I figured we were a lock for last in the AL East so might as well get some benefit out of it!)

7. SOMEONE would knock the Yankees out of the playoffs. CHECK. (I hate the Sox too, but I hate the Yankees just a bit more....)

8. Our top draft pick this year would have a good start to his career. CHECK. 

9. Hunter Harvey would lock down the closer job.  MISS.

10. Yusniel Diaz would finally put it all together and break out. MISS.

So, I got 6 out of 10 of my wishes. 

I think a similar list to 2022 would be realistic,

1. Hays has a true breakout year like Mullins did in 2021. 

2. A consensus #1 overall pick emerges before the draft. 

3.  That AR and GR come up on June 1 and post numbers consistent with being really good regulars. An .800+ OPS for AR. An ERA under 4.00 for GR. 

4. That Stowers surprises and is our everyday RF by the deadline. 

4. That Santander can stay healthy and post an .800+ OPS playing some RF and some DH. 

5.  That one of Mateo and Guiterrez realizes their potential and becomes an everyday starter in 2022. 

6. That we find two MLB capable SP to pair behind Means, and Grod. Bradish, Baumann, the players currently here. 

7. That some of Hall, Harvey, Wells, Kjerstad, are healthy and don’t require surgery or career threatening injuries. 

8.  That if Mancini is back, he bounces back and puts up a big first half. .800+ OPS. 

9.  That our position prospects in the minors are not as far away as we think. Westburg, Gunnar, Mayo, Cowser, and Mayo. 

10.  That we keep improving our J2 signings and land players with even higher upsides. 

• Upvote 1

You know, Hays finished really strong. I was really down on him but he finished about where I would have optimistically projected him at .256/.308/.769 with 22 HR and excellent defense adding up to 3.2 WAR. .921 OPS in Sept. Numbers aren't too far off Adam Jones at Age 25. Most importantly, he stayed healthy. So I'd give us a bonus point for #1. 

Urias is another young guy who I think has established every day player value. 

I'll be surprised if someone isn't traded between Santander, Mancini or even Hays or Mullins.  Stowers isn't going to the AFL to be ready for AAA next year or be a 4th outfielder.  I'm hoping the O's hold onto Hays and Mullins, but no doubt they are already thinking of the future expense.  I wouldn't be surprised if Elias tries to use Hays to get a young pitcher. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

8.  That if Mancini is back, he bounces back and puts up a big first half. .800+ OPS. 

I think with Trey’s limited defense and base running, he really needs to be more like .850+ to have some real trade value.  In 2019 he was .899 with over 75 extra-base hits.  

• Upvote 1